View Poll Results: Terradive - worth buying?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 81.82%
  • Only if cheap

2 9.09%
  • No

1 4.55%
  • Not interested

1 4.55%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - HFTD Terradive

Default Toy Review - HFTD Terradive

Series - Transformers (2010 toyline)
    Sub-line - Hunt for the Decepticons
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - (3)
    Released here - September 2010
    Approximate Retail Price - $30
    Approximate Size - 15cm (robot height), 16cm (jet length)
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Sukhoi Su-47
    Main Features/Gimmicks - convertible melee weapon
    Main Colours - orange and black with white and silver highlights
    Main Accessories - melee weapon; spear that can convert into a trident.

Pic links:
    Hasbro Stock Photography
    undoctored photos
    robot mode
    jet mode

Both jet and robot modes look nice. Transformation is quite interesting with some unique aspects. Reminds me of how some of the nicer movieverse toys are the ones that never appeared in the films as they're engineered purely as toys rather than 'translating' complex movie models into action figures. The greys are typical of Hasbro's cheap grey, but thankfully it's only a minor colour so it doesn't really detract from the overall look of the toy. The purple airbrushing on the spearhead is nice. The eyes are painted in red yet the back of the head is transparent, so it looks like this toy was initially meant to have light-piped eyes but was later abandoned in favour of painted eyes. I don't mind this decision, but I do wish they'd match it up by using a fully coloured piece for the back of the head instead of leaving it transparent. However unlike Animated SlagSnarl at least the eyes are actually solid coloured plastic rather than painted over transparent plastic (which suffers from light "weeping" around the edges). So I'm glad to see Hasbro learnt from that mistake. The sculpting is quite nice. There's some QC issue with some paints on my toy - the right breast logo has a tiny silver splotch and there's some black smudges underneath the left wing logo. I noticed a lot of the other Terradives on the shelf had some dodgy paint apps around the canopy (I picked the one with the least dodgiest). So that's disappointing.

The hips are ball-and-socket jointed which allows for a great range of motion, but it's too loose and is prone to popping off quite easily -- nearly as bad as Beast Wars bat Optimus Primal's arms or Beast Wars (II)'s Starscream's legs (my BWII Starscream's legs pop off way worse than my G2 Smokescreen or Smokejumper for some reason). So that can be frustration.

The shoulders and wings clip in with peg and slots - similar to movie Deluxe Decepticon Brawl's shoulders. So at first I was afraid that they wouldn't clip in properly -- the shoulders clip in well, but sadly the wings don't hold as strongly. Thankfully that doesn't effect the integrity of the robot mode too much as it's really just to help tuck the wings into the legs (whereas the shoulder joints help keep the torso together). So I'm glad that the tabs do hold where it counts.

The weapon is pretty neat. I like how it can fold and tuck in underneath the jet and how it can convert between being a spear and trident. The robot mode lacks any guns - so I just pretend that he can shoot lightning from his trident.

In general I think this toy looks very interesting and it's a figure I want to purchase, but the colours make me think it belongs with the Clone Wars Crossovers. I'm waiting to see what the eventual recolour will be (and what it's new head might be if it gets one).

He looks less movie-ish so He'll fit right in with the Classics/generations shelf figs heheheh
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    In general I think this toy looks very interesting and it's a figure I want to purchase, but the colours make me think it belongs with the Clone Wars Crossovers. I'm waiting to see what the eventual recolour will be (and what it's new head might be if it gets one).
    I think the colours make him look like a Wests Tigers supporter. Either that or they should've named this toy Hooligan... oh wait, Hasbro lost the rights to that name and apparently "Decepticon Hooligan" didn't pass Hasbro legal.

liegeprime: I think the toy looks quite movie-versish. I can bring the toy to the Zippo/heroic_decepticon meet if you wanna have a looksie.

I really like this design and the upcoming AA ones too, enough, that im considering collecting them, even though i hate the baymovie designs

So want a Cyclonus remold...

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    So want a Cyclonus remold...
    So make a kitbash (or commission someone clever like KC99 if you lack such skills) In the meantime - if you know how to photoshop - maybe you can try digibashing Terradive in Cyclonus' colours and posting the results here (or make a digibash request on that thread if you can't)

A commission's on my list of things-to-do-when-I'm-not-poor, along with a whole bunch of repaints.
    The tricky one will be getting a Tomahawk into a Rotorstorm, not sure if it'd he possible to replace the clear yellow plastic with clear pink.

This is one awesome figure. Nice and flat forward swept wings jet mode. The black paint looks a little dodge, but it's nice how the spear folds up and can be stored on the undercarriage. It has wheels that flip out for ground shots.

The conversion is what impressed me the most. This is exactly what keeps me obsessed as a fan of the figures, they just keep making conversions very interesting the more they make. Astounding considering the amount of figures they have done since the first movie up to this point and still have fresh ideas. The way the torso forms and the incredible arms. As with all new figures, everything slots into pegs to keep everything secure. Amazing.

The robot mode is a winner. Awesome head sculpt with red light piped eyes. The torso is gorgeously designed. The ornate wings act more ornate than being simple kibble. The wings on the legs is a little kibbly if I was to nitpick, but I think it matches the angular pointy torso. Proportionally perfect in my opinion with next to no kibble. Articulation on the arms is impressive, able to hold the spear with both hands with, the always wanted, rotation on the wrists for some incredible poses with the spear. The only downside is QC. The ball joints connecting the legs to the waist are really really loose. I will need to paint them or apply something to tighten it up. Any suggestions anyone? Otherwise the knee and shoulder and elbows are tight.

Overall so far my absolute favorite HTFD figure and right up there amongst the best. I'll take any and all repaints of this Hasbro.

Sorry Tomahawk, Terradive deserves the glory for being the better figure (as much as I love all helicopter TF).