Thread: mp36 paint match?

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default mp36 paint match?

For anyone who works with paints, is there any paint that comes close to mp36, either in retail form (ie no mixing) or what one can do TO mix?

Can't be exact of course because of the sparkles but something to work as an imitation, I've seen one in hand and its sorta similar to what's used on TR broadside's aircraft deck, this can have a range of uses such as...repainting TR megatron for example?

Don't ever transform mp36 whatever you do jesus what a trip

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    For anyone who works with paints, is there any paint that comes close to mp36, either in retail form (ie no mixing) or what one can do TO mix?

Can't be exact of course because of the sparkles but something to work as an imitation, I've seen one in hand and its sorta similar to what's used on TR broadside's aircraft deck, this can have a range of uses such as...repainting TR megatron for example?

Don't ever transform mp36 whatever you do jesus what a trip
    It can be very challenging, and depends on what type of paint you are planing to use.

I would use acrylic Tamiya or Hobby paint to mix and match, you will need a light grey as main base and if there is sparkles, you can use a bit of chrome silver to mix .

Always test first and allow it to dry to really compare results as wet and dry paint can be seen different.

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    It can be very challenging, and depends on what type of paint you are planing to use.

I would use acrylic Tamiya or Hobby paint to mix and match, you will need a light grey as main base and if there is sparkles, you can use a bit of chrome silver to mix .

Always test first and allow it to dry to really compare results as wet and dry paint can be seen different.
    Tamiya I'm equipped for, my issue is what to use specifically or if there is anything that may not need mixing (I'm poor at mixing, my custom gundams would be my evidence if I had the courage to post :c), if it can blend into the same grey straight from the bottle that'd would be great, otherwise would need someone who might have a larger range of paints to point me in the right direction (can't just buy all of the light greys and hope one combination works, could be buying tf's with said cash )

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    Tamiya I'm equipped for, my issue is what to use specifically or if there is anything that may not need mixing (I'm poor at mixing, my custom gundams would be my evidence if I had the courage to post :c), if it can blend into the same grey straight from the bottle that'd would be great, otherwise would need someone who might have a larger range of paints to point me in the right direction (can't just buy all of the light greys and hope one combination works, could be buying tf's with said cash )
    You need a proper mixing dish and a paint mixer to scoop the right ratio.
    Always clean the paint mixer before taking another colour or you contaminate your paint.

Takes time.

I have a related question...my nice new MP-36 re-issue arrived and there are some QC problems straight away before I even handled it. The chest plate and helmet have some paint chips and scuffs. I can probably live with it if that was all. However two of the panels on the groin area didn't get the metallic, sort of sparkly, finish. It is fairly noticeable in-hand and knowing it is there has really bummed me. It's like the ghost of PC has sent me a F-you.

Is this something that could be touched up or fixed? If it happened to yours would you consider trying to get a replacement?

I just had a look at mine. If I were to do it I'd use Reventon gray. I got it from ebay seller evolution-online. Gravity Paints also has the same colour. It's very close but a touch lighter so adding a tiny bit of black will probably give an exact match.

The lighter metallic gray is a bit harder because of the con tampo. I would spray the whole chest plate but if you're going to do touch ups then mixing mid gray and silver will work. You'll just have to eyeball it until it matches.
    Edit: I would start with a combo of Tamiya light gunmetal and white.

Mine is also the second run release.

Last edited by gamblor916; 1st February 2018 at 08:30 PM.