Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: New Masterpiece Starscream - MP52

OMP's preorder price is SGD$280 (~AUD$300 or ~$325 shipped). The prices of MPs are seriously expensive now but since this mould is the definitive version of Starscream and the other G1 jets, and since I only have an MP-07, I'll get the main 3 and call it quits for G1 jets forever.

I think am I done with Masterpiece Transformers; I haven't been a fan of the change to "hyper cartoon accuracy" and I can see that new Masterpieces are probably just going to be V2/3 of the older Masterpieces to make sure they all look alike.
    Not to mention the increasing cost (due to the extra complex Transformations to hide things?) ..

I couldn't justify the expense of Optimus v3 or BW Megatron... and have trouble wanting to buy a lot of the recent ones due to their higher prices... this one I've decided against getting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    I think am I done with Masterpiece Transformers; I haven't been a fan of the change to "hyper cartoon accuracy" and I can see that new Masterpieces are probably just going to be V2/3 of the older Masterpieces to make sure they all look alike.
    Not to mention the increasing cost (due to the extra complex Transformations to hide things?) ..
    They're barely Transformers anymore. Most of them turn completely inside out more than transform. The vehicle mode hides the robot parts, and the robot mode entirely hides the vehicle parts and replaces them with G1 cartoon accurate kibble. It's uninteresting.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I couldn't justify the expense of Optimus v3 or BW Megatron... and have trouble wanting to buy a lot of the recent ones due to their higher prices... this one I've decided against getting as well.
    I couldn't justify Optimus V3 either. And I only have BW Megatron because of the generosity of Hursty. I wanted him to fill out my BW collection a bit better, but had trouble affording him. Starscream V3 I'm like, "another Starcream, really?" just has me turned away from buying more. And SharkyMcShark has it right, they're kinda uninteresting when it's pretty much all panel forming.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    They're barely Transformers anymore. Most of them turn completely inside out more than transform. The vehicle mode hides the robot parts, and the robot mode entirely hides the vehicle parts and replaces them with G1 cartoon accurate kibble. It's uninteresting.
    For me it's, the opposite, I a actually really like it when they use a bit of clever trickery to account for the impossibility of cartoon morphing, it makes the transformations (which can be quite complex) a more satisfying interaction. The main toy line seems to have gone down the more straightforward G1 toy with modern design look that Masterpiece used to be, so it feels like MP's are going the complex translation and ultra toony way just to separate the two lines.

That said I'm not defending everything about the MP line, it is prohibitively expensive, and much like the main toy line they keep releasing the same G1 characters over and over again.

I will probably end up getting Starscream so I can sample the design and the transformation and see how they pull it off, but once I've done that I can't see why I'd want to get any repaints at that price.

The transforming away of the horizontal and vertical stabilisers is what has me sold. That is not a small thing in terms of cartoon accuracy (if that's what you value). I also like the folding of those bottom spikes of the wings (where the wings abut the air intakes) compared to MP-11.

But still, the price...

On the bright side, I can't imagine another Megatron or Optimus, so this is probably it for the G1 jets. And maybe all the rich collectors who fork out for the main 6 (or more?) allow HasTak to develop MP Mirage or Jazz or Trailbreaker or Galvatron... dunno.

As gorgeous as it looks, I ain’t forking out $500 for it. As well as the prospect of another 5 x$500 for the other seekers.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Metro View Post
    As gorgeous as it looks, I ain’t forking out $500 for it. As well as the prospect of another 5 x$500 for the other seekers.
    Nor should you, but lucky there are stores which aren't EB who are charging around $300 for it before shipping.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    Nor should you, but lucky there are stores which aren't EB who are charging around $300 for it before shipping.
    Yeah, but even at $300, it’s just not worth the expense for me unfortunately. I’m getting too old for this.