• Only if cheap

1 14.29%
  • Only if (something else)

0 0%
  • No

1 14.29%
  • Not even interested

2 28.57%

Thread: Toy Review - Robots In Disguise Windblade (Deluxe)

Default Toy Review - Robots In Disguise Windblade (Deluxe)

WINDBLADE
    Series - Robots In Disguise
    Sub-line - Mini-Con Weaponisers
    Size/class - Warrior
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 7
    Released here - February 2017
    Approximate Retail Price - $29
    Approximate Size - 12cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - VTOL jet
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Flippable wing-mounted VTOL fans
    Main Colours - red and black
    Main Accessories - sword, scabbard, fan/headpiece

It's no secret that I'm not the biggest fan of the RiD toy line, and I must confess that I initially skipped this toy when I saw the TAV version in Japan last year (which features nicer colours BTW). But since then I had a fiddle with Bladestorm's Titan Force Windblade and came to realise that this mould is actually fairly decent. Consequently I purchased this Hasbro version on sight.

This is pretty much a comparative review with the original Generations Windblade toy. First up, this toy is essentially a greatly simplified version of Generations Windblade, which is what initially turned me off the figure. However, there is an element of elegance in its simplicity. It's nice to have a toy that can transform quickly and easily (and is still fun). Generations Windblade's transformation is very fiddly and relies a lot on the precise alignment of panel tabs. RiD Windblade has a far greater tolerance with certain parts eventually falling into place even if you don't align them exactly correctly. RiD Windblade is also a much more solid figure. One of the biggest complaints about Generations Windblade is the gap in the jet mode. There's also a gap in the robot mode, although it's only visible from the side of the torso and isn't as in your face as the gap in the fuselage. RiD Windblade has no gaps. The bulkier lower legs clip in really well and the fold down rear canopy ensures that the upper fuselage is well covered.

While the mould lacks the same level of detail as the Generations figure due to being based on a cartoon model, there are other elements to the RiD figure which I find aesthetically pleasing such as the legs, torso and head sculpt. RiD Windblade isn't nearly as gangly-looking as her Generations counterpart. The colours on RiD Windblade's face make it look more like the makeup worn by Kabuki performers. The shoulder pads are a solid and immovable, which is great in robot mode but doesn't look so nice in jet mode as they just jut out. The heel spurs are solid pieces as part of the feet, granting this toy superior balance (although still not the best; this toy is still back heavy but not nearly as bad as Generations Windblade). The nosecone/cockpit doesn't sit flush against the back, but this is due to the rear canopy cover which helps to ensure that there's no massive gap in the fuselage, so I can forgive it. RiD Windblade also boasts a greater range of articulation in robot mode (except for the lack of wrist articulation).

However, there are other features in this toy which I find aren't as good as Generations Windblade. These include:
    * Lack of spinning turbines
    * Not enough paint apps. This toy needs more black to break up the red, which is what TakaraTOMY have done. The sword is also completely unpainted whereas Generations Windblade's sword has 3 colours (with the purple on the blade fading to clear towards the tip). Mind you, the legs have a greater variety of colours than Generations Windblade's.
    * The arms are completely exposed in jet mode. They literally just lie along the side of the body. I know some people don't like the way that the CW Aerialbots' arms just stay at the side, but at least those arms do tuck into the body. No tucking here.

Overall, while Generations Windblade is the nicer display piece, RiD Windblade is a better toy to play with. But considering that it is simpler than the Generations figure, I can't say that it's worth buying at full RRP but well worth it if you can get it for under RRP (I'd say $25 or less).

PHOTOS!

Jet mode

Robot mode

Swords drawn

Wielding scabbards as tonfa-like weapons

Sparring with each other's sword

Comparison with show model
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 12th February 2017 at 02:35 PM.

When you say this one is simpler, does that mean the fan cannot be removed from her head and placed in her hand?

Because your review has not mentioned anything about that specifically.

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Yes, you can remove it.

Got tired of waiting for the RiD one over Christmas and borke down and bought the TAV one as the online prices were similar.

Yes, I paid too much for it. That said the paintwork is schmick. An area RiD is lacking.

I bought Windblade to keep my 3yo off my display Windblade and it works a treat. Much tougher and the sword is a particular favourite.

Robot modes are both solid. They just do different things better. For example TAV doesn't fall over. LG is more expressive. I really miss those wing joints on TAV.

As VTOLs I do prefer LG. TAV is chunky. Eg the VTOLs nose is wider to hide her head where LG used her chest. And of course TAV has those big boots that flare out aft. That said TAV holds together really well with no gaps.

I haven't seen RiD yet. The lack of paint was a turn off but I had been hoping for a sale price then I would paint her myself. Black is easy to color match and the locations are easy to get to.

So in summary. TAV is a great toy. Like most of the RiD line it is physically tough with a little challenge in transformation. Great for the kids.

I noticed on mine, that the blue paint on the knees is coming off, which is no biggie because I might repaint her.

Quote Originally Posted by shockNwave View Post
    When you say this one is simpler, does that mean the fan cannot be removed from her head and placed in her hand?

Because your review has not mentioned anything about that specifically.
    I wouldn't have listed the fan as an accessory if it weren't removable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    I haven't seen RiD yet. The lack of paint was a turn off but I had been hoping for a sale price then I would paint her myself. Black is easy to color match and the locations are easy to get to.
    I've seen RiD, but show-likeness aside, the additional black would really help to just break up the blandness of the red. Being more show-accurate is really just a bonus, but ultimately it improves the look of the toy, as someone like you who hasn't even seen this character on screen yet can appreciate.

I found TAV Windblade in Kyoto at full RRP (2500JPY≈30AUD). I could've gotten it a bit cheaper as it was at a Takashimaya who give discount with a foreign passport... I also have a members card there which gives a bonus 5% discount, but as I said before, I assumed that the toy wouldn't be any good compared to the Generations figure which I already have, so I skipped it (but I did get two of her casemates, TAV-56 Nemesis Prime and TAV Scorponok ). If I happen to find TAV55 Windblade in my next trip to Japan then I might grab it and sell off my Hasbro version. Either way, this mould has exceeded my expectations for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    Great for the kids.
    As an adult I find this toy to be heaps of fun too! I just really appreciate a toy that is relatively easy (and quick) to transform during play. I was playing with this toy yesterday afternoon where I imagined that she was fighting off hordes of monsters (which happened to resemble Shopkins shopping bags - she was on the Shopkins' homeworld ) and it was just really nice to be able to have a toy that can quickly and easily switch between modes during the fight.

The main downside is that the sword doesn't grip into the hand very tightly and is prone to dropping off during fights. Generations Windblade has the same problem or worse, her entire arm coming off at the shoulder! RiD Windblade's shoulders are tight and I haven't had any issues with them popping off. But honestly, the open handed Kung Fu grip is a nuisance. I'd much rather a toy have a closed fist which essentially forms a solid round slot for the weapon to tightly peg into. Especially when it's a melee weapon like a sword which is meant to physically collide with other objects! If the sword can't even withstand the brunt of a rubbery Shopkins shopping bag...
    Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    I noticed on mine, that the blue paint on the knees is coming off, which is no biggie because I might repaint her.
    I haven't had this issue (touch wood).

Is there someone here who can tell me if the fan has been pushed in so hard that removal is difficult like Gen. Windblade?

Nah, it's way easier. Pretty much everything about this toy is much simpler and easier than Generations Windblade, which at times works to its advantage.

I picked her up for $45 (lol HobbyCo) but love the figure; it's the Windblade mold done right, and you can actually move it around without it falling to pieces!

Paint isn't show accurate but I don't mind the red Windblade look (I much prefer the Combiner Hunters Gen Version which is red and gold anyway), and with the Combiner Hunters blue sword she looks awesome!

Keen to see more non car/non male Autobots!