6 26.09%
  • Sky Lynx man, he rocks!

12 52.17%
  • I've got another suggestion

5 21.74%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A difficult Encore decision

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Sky Lynx's canonical appearance isn't the greatest, but he only really appeared when he was needed. Wheelie's canonical appearance is mostly very forgettable, yet he had a very prominent and recurring appearance in the cartoon! He was like Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. They both keep appearing in multiple scenes where they're not really needed - i.e.: they're not making any substantial contribution to the story, yet they're getting a disproportionate amount of limelight and attention!

And while Sky Lynx may sound like a snoot, at least he doesn't talk with a high-pitched BABY voice and speak in badly strung rhymes all the time!!
    Just thought I'd point out that you're comparison between Jar Jar Binks and Wheelie is 100% accurate. Jar Jar was meant to be a comic element for children in TPM, since Lucas maintains that Star Wars is a kids' franchise. Wheelie could've been an attempt of the same thing for the G1 cartoon. I personally have no idea whether this was effective for kids since I was first introduced to Wheelie when I was about 12 or 13 and so his weird rhymes and whatnot irratated me a little, but maybe if you showed him to kids of about 5 to 9 or even 10 they might respond differently. Anyway, while I do think that Sky Lynx was an arrogant SOB when it came to his cartoon personality, I do think he has a nifty toy. Jazz has just been pushed further down the track.

Sky Lynx might not be too ambitious, but the toy works in what it set out to achieve. Wheelie does not. So for me, there's no contest there.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc
    And while I really shouldn't even be entertaining the comparison, why don't you compare the monetary value. It's one thing to spend less than $10 on a toy and be disappointed, but over $100? Your analogy to Ultimate Bumblebee is definitely more appropriate, and I couldn't agree more. They're both poop.
    Sky Lynx has a slight advantage here in that he's quite unique. He's the only member of his class, if he even has one.

Wheelie on the other hand is a mini-car, and IMO the worst of that sub-class and the worst value for money. Again, you compare him with any of the other 1984-86 Autobot mini-cars like Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Beachcomber, Tailgate, Outback et al and Wheelie just pales in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc
    And lastly, regardless of any further comparisons, just remember that comparing poop to smellier poop doesn't stop the original poop from being poop.
    Anything is good if you have low standards! ;D

This should be the motto of the World Taekwondo Federation (Olympic Sport Taekwondo).

OK, pardon my crude drawing, but this is what would Movie Prime would have looked like if the Sky Lynx designers were put in charge.

Alt mode:

And ooooooooooooohh! Look! Lynx mode!!!! How clever!!!

That'd make a good Cyberslammer. Although it looks a bit more like a dog than a lynx.

LOL!! Reminds me of the crude drawings that Dave Barry did in "Dave Barry Does Japan."

Dear god. I believe I just read the funniest post ever.

i go with jazz, but the new encore mini-bots are sizzle nizzle
    Wanted items:
    eHobby Orion Pax and Dion

Wheelie's low pricepoint makes him far less of a risk to purchase. So even if you hate him, you wouldn't feel so annoyed as if you hated Sky Lynx.

Whether or not Sky Lynx offers much for his pricepoint (I think he's simple for the size and price) doesn't change the fact that Wheelie utterly fails at his size and pricepoint.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

This is all pretty moot as Adzma has chosen Sky Lynx, but all this talk of Wheelie has been an unfortunate digression and has taken away from the primary point.... which is... Sky Lynx is an over grown Cyber Slammer.