Thread: Moving to Sydney

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Moving to Sydney

There comes a time in every Tasmanian's life where they realise - I have to get the hell off this Island!

I've spent the past 3 years at Uni. I completed a Bachelor of Contemporary Arts, majoring in Theatre, and as worthless as the piece of paper is anywhere in Australia, it's doubly as useless in Tasmania, which has nothing but amateur Theatre companies and no film or television industry to speak of.

So in order to continue to chase the dream of stardom, a move has to be made.

But I need some advice from the lovely people of NSW who I will soon be calling 'neighbour'.

I'm hoping to be located, if not in Sydney itself, then in one of the suburbs that closely ring the city. But which one? There are seemingly hundreds of them.

I need your advice as to which suburb would a good place to be in regards to ease of transport and the like.

Any advice on anything in regards to the place would be more than helpful. So go nuts. Tell me all about the place I'll soon call home.

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

Well, look forward to meeting you in person at some stage

I live in Werrington, a bit less than an hour train trip out of Sydney. Some people say that Western Sydney is bad blah blah blah, but it depends on where. Where I live, it's not bad, haven't had any issues yet living here for 3 years. Most rental prices are fairly cheaper out this way too. Closer to the city you get, the pricier, and sometimes smaller, the places get. Public transport isn't that bad really.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Well, look forward to meeting you in person at some stage

I live in Werrington, a bit less than an hour train trip out of Sydney. Some people say that Western Sydney is bad blah blah blah, but it depends on where. Where I live, it's not bad, haven't had any issues yet living here for 3 years. Most rental prices are fairly cheaper out this way too. Closer to the city you get, the pricier, and sometimes smaller, the places get. Public transport isn't that bad really.
    Anyone would think you had shares in cityrail

Verno, I have to do a bit of collating of thoughts to properly answer your question.

what are you looking for in a place to live? near a beach, do you prefer busses or trains. how long do you want to be travelling when you travel.
    How much "Character" are you looking for? do you want to live in an apartment, house or townhouse. will you have a car?

Do you prefer to be near pubs or clubs?
    anything else you consider important in your choice of abode/suburb?
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    Anyone would think you had shares in cityrail
    No shares, just a really good job

which surburb? how about CBD??

To give you better suggestions, could you provide more info Verno?

Stuff like what you rate as most important in terms of facilities, shops, housing preferences, even things like restaurants, access to parks, beaches, bus vs. train etc.
    Since I'm guessing that you'd like to be involved in something theatre-centric, the best bet would be the inner west or even just south of the CBD, but really you can get to both areas from anywhere as long as you have the patience.

Generally the closer to Sydney, the more you pay, and Sydney gets crazy stupid expensive really quickly. Closer to the city in any direction generally means older townhouses or apartments. However to get larger places means a big rise in travel times and costs.

Don't mean to sound negative about Sydney, but it has terrible public transport for a city of it's size and importance, an ineffective and extensive road network and unaffordable housing market or renters and buyers alike.

Without more information I can't be too specific, but generally you'll be wanting to avoid the northern part of Sydney (North Sydney, Northern Beaches) as they are expensive and not easy to get around with public transport as other areas.
    I think the areas you'll find more appealing due to work and travel factors are quite busy due to their closeness to both the CBD and the big universities, but we'll help out as best we can.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    No shares, just a really good job
    hmmm you know I just saw a Cityrail train personnel in the guards carriage who looks just like you in the Western Line when I got off at Blacktown the other day ......

Well, looks like were loosing one member in Tasmania then, geographically Best of luck in your move Verno. but yeah the guys already pretty much have mentioned a lot here.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    hmmm you know I just saw a Cityrail train personnel in the guards carriage who looks just like you in the Western Line when I got off at Blacktown the other day ......
    I could probably bet it was me haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post
    There comes a time in every Tasmanian's life where they realise - I have to get the hell off this Island!

I've spent the past 3 years at Uni. I completed a Bachelor of Contemporary Arts, majoring in Theatre, and as worthless as the piece of paper is anywhere in Australia, it's doubly as useless in Tasmania, which has nothing but amateur Theatre companies and no film or television industry to speak of.

So in order to continue to chase the dream of stardom, a move has to be made.

But I need some advice from the lovely people of NSW who I will soon be calling 'neighbour'.

I'm hoping to be located, if not in Sydney itself, then in one of the suburbs that closely ring the city. But which one? There are seemingly hundreds of them.

I need your advice as to which suburb would a good place to be in regards to ease of transport and the like.

Any advice on anything in regards to the place would be more than helpful. So go nuts. Tell me all about the place I'll soon call home.
    I moved to Belmore (Bankstown area) because it was very central and affordable area. It is close to the city, Parramatta (2nd CBD) and a straight forward train ride to work (20 minutes). Before that, it was a reasonable drive to work. Reasonable rent costs by Sydney standards and central location. Never had an incident there when it comes to crime.

Parramatta is also good. Easy access to the city and most likely, work. However as of late, it has been rather crowded and due to demand, rent prices have gone up high. There is also a bit of crime there from what I hear but nothing has ever happened to me there.

If you are to enter the performing industry, you are most likely going to end up working in the city or near. Again, the Bankstown area or Parramatta would be suitable locations as you have easy access to the city. However Belmore is a fairly short drive away from Newtown which has the Enmore theater.

Just note that anything close or in the city will be costing you about $600+ per week for a tiny studio apartment - Sydney rent prices are ridiculous due to demand. You are better off living in the suburban area near a train station with a direct line to the city.

As Gok so colorfully illustrated, Sydney roads and public transport system still works under the assumption that people use the Horse and cart to get around. Although the Sydney suburban area is actually fairly small when it comes to area, it can take you an hour to drive just 15 km during peak hour. Trains can be tolerable (at best) when you have a direct line access to your work place so keep that in mind too.