Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    He also meets Mattel's safety standards because he doesn't have a bow string
    lol true.

I don't know if anyone has an answer but i'd like to hear opinions... I wondered the other day why MOTUC molds don't seem to suffer from mold degradation but Transformers sometimes do?

Is it just that they're not produced in as a great a number as Transformers even when you factor in the extensive re-use of parts between characters? Or is it something to do with the plastic type perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    I don't know if anyone has an answer but i'd like to hear opinions... I wondered the other day why MOTUC molds don't seem to suffer from mold degradation but Transformers sometimes do?

Is it just that they're not produced in as a great a number as Transformers even when you factor in the extensive re-use of parts between characters? Or is it something to do with the plastic type perhaps.
    It's possible that for every part, they have several mold copies. I am personally somewhat skeptical about the difficulty of reproducing new quality molds since the 3rd parties and KOers seem to do it so easily on very limited budgets and now you can see Mattel doing it.

I think that it's difficult for Hasbro for whatever administrative reason they have but not that difficult to actually do it reality or it could just be BS from them which several fans now popularly believe.
    Last edited by kup; 5th March 2011 at 10:00 AM.

in my opinion.... the parts they would cast molds for in the MOTUC for MAttel are rather simple 1 -3 pieces which as kup has mentioned I suspect as well has several molds pre made already since it is simple, where as if you look at a transformer leg, there could be a lot of pieces involved. Not to mention for bigger pieces (Voyager above) there would be joint pieces and wotnot inside the legs piece alone which would all have several molds, if just one mold of this several molds to make a leg degrades then the rest would be affected, and upkeep I guess would be costly if you have to remold a small piece all the time since each mold might be degrading at different times..... or his could all be just BS from Hasbro.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

I started watching She-ra this morning, from the first episode of course. I saw a couple of eps as a kid but didn't bother that much because it was a girl's show.

However after watching the first 2 today, and seeing the incusion of He-man to link it all together, I came to the conclusion that it isn't that much of a girl's show.

So I ask the question, Who is the demographic for this cartoon?

Obviously I was the right age for He-man at the time, as I watched it and liked it, but She-Ra didn't do it for me, yet the show seemed to be a version of he-man, but with a majority female characters. I wouldn't think girls would be all that interested in watching it just Because it had femme leads.

So who was the intended audience. and as a semi-second question, did the She-Ra toys sell well?

That's why the She-Ra toys failed, because they were aimed at the Barbie demographic, but the cartoon was still too 'boyish' with its similarities to HeMan. The HeMan cartoon was very tame by today's standards, so the content of the SheRa cartoon couldn't be any less violent... which would interest HeMan viewers, but none of the 'SheRa packaged' toys interested boys. The funny thing though, was that the Villains (The Horde) were all released in the HeMan toyline... which meant boys would have to watch the SheRa cartoon to know and buy those toys.
    It was all such a mess, and cost Mattel a fair bit promoting the wrong sort of toys to the wrong demographics, at the expense of the HeMan cartoon (which looks to have been suspended in favour of the SheRa cartoon), and after a season and a half, both cartoons were axed.
    The DVDs talk about this a bit if I recall... the resulting failure of the SheRa cartoon killed off the HeMan cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    That's why the She-Ra toys failed, because they were aimed at the Barbie demographic, but the cartoon was still too 'boyish' with its similarities to HeMan. The HeMan cartoon was very tame by today's standards, so the content of the SheRa cartoon couldn't be any less violent... which would interest HeMan viewers, but none of the 'SheRa packaged' toys interested boys. The funny thing though, was that the Villains (The Horde) were all released in the HeMan toyline... which meant boys would have to watch the SheRa cartoon to know and buy those toys.
    It was all such a mess, and cost Mattel a fair bit promoting the wrong sort of toys to the wrong demographics, at the expense of the HeMan cartoon (which looks to have been suspended in favour of the SheRa cartoon), and after a season and a half, both cartoons were axed.
    The DVDs talk about this a bit if I recall... the resulting failure of the SheRa cartoon killed off the HeMan cartoon.
    Oh, I see. So She-ra was the death of He-man. I remember the villains in the heman line, I ended up with a Horde trooper and thought that Hordak was another enemy faction for He-man. (like Skeletor, Snakemen and Horde). I wondered why Hordak was She-Ras enemy as well
    Thanks

That's why the She-Ra toys failed, because they were aimed at the Barbie demographic, but the cartoon was still too 'boyish' with its similarities to HeMan.
    Mattel sold $53,000,000 of Princess Of Power toys in 1985, more than He-Man made in its first year. And that doesn't even count the sales of Horde toys, which were also supported by the She-Ra cartoon. There were a lot of girls watching He-Man, which was the rationale for the spin-off.

She-Ra and He-Man ran concurrently for a good sixty episodes in 1985 and then in 1986 She-Ra ran for an extra half-a-season after He-Man was axed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Oh, I see. So She-ra was the death of He-man.
    No, she/it wasn't.

Really? The commentaries & interviews on some of the DVD boxsets implied that She-Ra was a failed attempt at getting girls into Action Figures (based on the success of the boys line), and that HeMan was effectively killed off by it as well.

If what Sky Shadow says is true, than I concede to his correct information.

Really? The commentaries & interviews on some of the DVD boxsets implied that She-Ra was a failed attempt at getting girls into Action Figures (based on the success of the boys line), and that HeMan was effectively killed off by it as well.

If what Sky Shadow says is true, than I concede to his correct information.
    I think that - as we know with the people who worked on Transformers and were then as asked them to recount what happened twenty years later - the DVD commentaries are full of faded memories and personal bias. What "killed off" He-Man wasn't She-Ra at all. Everyone on this board should know what killed He-Man. (Clue: It's the second word in the acronym OTCA. )