Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to tel if MP is KO?

If she wasn't willing to take the boxes out for you to inspect then they were almost definitely fake. HK people like to handle the goods up front so they can check them. Any shop that won't let you examine a product you want to buy will always ring alarm bells with me - be it 100% fake, an empty real box, or you ask for the real item and they switch it out for a fake as you buy it.
    Definitely better to be safe than sorry in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    They were locked in a small clear case so I couldn't see enough to tell. Given their prices and that the shop keeper says she was selling them for someone else, claiming to have no knowledge of where they were from (I asked a simple question about whether they were Japanese versions), I became suspicious and now it looks like you've all confirmed this for me.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

If you are patient all mp of normal release will be reissued on Japanese online stores. Mp-10 has made its way. The rumour and btw red alert and sideswipe will follow in line. Again no point wondering if you not confident in anything .

It is correct, if you are definitely buying they should open up for you when requested, mind you, if it's original and you decided to change your mind, they may kick a fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    It is correct, if you are definitely buying they should open up for you when requested, mind you, if it's original and you decided to change your mind, they may kick a fuss.
    There's no excuse for them to make a fuss. They choose to keep these toys behind locked glass, which is fine, but they need to be willing to unlock and relock these toys when customers want to inspect them. Duh. One way to minimise the fuss is to attach labels that give as much information about the toy as possible. That's something I really like about Mandarake; everything's locked up, but staff are happy to open and close cases for you to look at toys. Also, each toy has labels that tell you about its condition; if the toy is fake, if it's not sealed, if anything is flawed or missing etc. That really cuts down the "asking time" between customers and staff.

I took Drifand to mean open the box to inspect the toy inside (which would mean that the toy is no longer in a sealed box.. thus the fuss if you then pull out of the sale of a legitimate item) - not just open/close the display cabinet that is housing the boxed toy.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by xlojnr View Post
    I took Drifand to mean open the box to inspect the toy inside (which would mean that the toy is no longer in a sealed box.. thus the fuss if you then pull out of the sale of a legitimate item) - not just open/close the display cabinet that is housing the boxed toy.
    That was what I mean , sorry for any confusion.
    My brother was in Hong Kong and was buying stuff for me. Luckily they were not misb items hence the opening to check, and found one of the small item broken and decided to leave that and bought something else.
    It was observed that the owner wasn't too happy but glad my bro bought something.

Here's what I would do if I were buying an MP from the secondary market:
    1/ Try my best to inspect the box for any tell tale signs that it may be fake.
    2/ Check the seller's description or directly ask the seller about the toy's authenticity.
    3/ If the toy turns out to be fake, I would demand a refund. If the seller refuses to comply, report the seller to appropriate authorities.

While it may not be illegal to purchase fakes (as the law views consumers as victims of fraud), it is illegal to sell them (as the sellers are committing acts of fraud). I would absolutely be willing to assert my consumer rights. When I purchased MP Alert off the secondary market, I went through steps 1 and 2. The toy was legit, so I didn't need to proceed to Step 3 (but I would have if it weren't).

If you're looking at MISB, the important thing is to make sure the box is sealed with the original factory taping and that it has the appropriate emboss marks/holograms, ST markings, etc.
    Most HK stores are legit. Unfortunately it is the few who dabble in both the fake and real market or those who try to pass KO's as real that bring the whole industry down.

I agree with Goktimus on the steps to take. If an item is advertised as real I expect it to BE real. I'd report someone selling a fake who didn't refund me as well.
    As someone who sells real TF items on eBay I have no qualms answering requests or supplying additional photos where possible to help verify authenticity and I try to always take photos of the authentic markings so people know exactly what they will get. I think anyone who is conducting a normal legitimate business would be the same. You make sales by providing more information; so those who conceal or "can't answer" should always be treated with more scrutiny imho.

Even if the item isn't specified to be real or fake, it is reasonable for consumers to assume that a product is legitimate. And AFAIK, informing consumers that a product is fake is no legal protection either (as the seller never had the right to sell the product in the first place). It is merely a courtesy which would probably also significantly reduce the chances of a consumer taking action against the seller.

has anyone identified any mp road rage KO

Quote Originally Posted by vorox4251 View Post
    has anyone identified any mp road rage KO
    They just KO'd Tracks -- more info here, so Road Rage should probably appear next/soon.