Thread: TR Getaway paint custom - It's TR Breakaway, but with a little more enthusiasm!

FatalityPitt Guest

Default TR Getaway paint custom - It's TR Breakaway, but with a little more enthusiasm!

(... enthusiasm in the form of Tamiya and Mr.Color paints!)

So I recent bought Titans Return Breakaway. Even though it's a white repaint of TR Chromedome, in-hand; it still felt like an updated Getaway moreso than I expected. Perhaps Chromedome is a brown repaint of Breakaway??

Getaway/Breakaway can be best described to the layperson as a generic white Autobot with an Optimus-Prime-ish head, but to me, he's a little more than that. TR Breakaway is a decent enough homage/re-imagining of Powermaster Getaway, but I thought I'd take it a little further to try to make him look like the PM Getaway I remember having as a child.

So, basically all I did was paint the shins red, parts of his arms blue, and the face a flesh-colour. The paint on the face was totally unnecessary, but as a child, I thought a robot toy with a flesh-coloured face was strange but cool.

As you can see below, I was more or less going for original toy accuracy.

(Left: Original G1 toy photo - from Seibertron.com, Middle: After paint, Right Before paint)

Well, there's my show and tell for the day. I'm now very happy with TR Getaway as he's now more reminiscent to the G1 Getaway toy as I remember it.

I probably would have kept the face the way it was, but that's a very personal quibble. You've seriously improved the toy with the added colour, I'm very tempted to follow in your fine example.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

FatalityPitt Guest

Yeah, it's all personal preference mate . I wanted a Breakaway that was closer to the original, so I went for it. Also, seeing Snaketales example showed me how feasable it would be.

With the amount of unpainted white on this toy, it was fairly easy to improve on it with a little model paint.

I hadn't seen Snaketales one (which is typically great!). Stellar work from both of you!

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms

FatalityPitt Guest

Thanks M-bot

The more I look at it, the more glad I feel to have painted it. In retrospect TR Breakaway without paint doesn't look too bad - just incomplete.

If you have the figure and some paint, and you feel game; definitely go for it. If you're using Tamiya/Mr.Color/Mr.Hobby paints, I find Royal Blue and Wine Red to be fairly close to the blues and reds already used on the toy.

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    Thanks M-bot

The more I look at it, the more glad I feel to have painted it. In retrospect TR Breakaway without paint doesn't look too bad - just incomplete.

If you have the figure and some paint, and you feel game; definitely go for it. If you're using Tamiya/Mr.Color/Mr.Hobby paints, I find Royal Blue and Wine Red to be fairly close to the blues and reds already used on the toy.
    I've been using SMS lacquers through the airbrush for the last year or so and find them fantastic, but I have to mix my own colours (if they're outside the decent-but-limited colour range SMS offer). Thankfully that's easy to do with the SMS stuff!