Page 76 of 93 FirstFirst ... 5666717273747576777879808186 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial arts discussion thread

In my personal experience, I've found Muay Thai to be more of a competition fighting style rather than a more traditionally "combative" one. One thing which impresses me about MT fighters that I've sparred with has been the incredible power of their kicks, however my criticisms would be:
    + Groin defence is practically non-existent. A lot of their postures and moves actually open the groin up. They might as well have worn shorts/pants with a target painted on their crotch.
    + While their kicks are very strong as because they start from the ground, they lack the control offered from kicks that start from the knee; a lot of other MAs such as Karate, Kung Fu, Tai Chi etc. lift the knee first. While this sacrifices power, I find that it offers greater manoeuvrability and control.
    + Some MT fighters adopt modern boxing style ducking and weaving, which potentially leaves the neck and upper spine vulnerable -- i.e. it makes it easier to trap a forward leaning head and attack, break or snap the neck or upper vertebrae. This is why all traditional martial arts, including Victorian Era Queensberry Rules Boxing, Bartitsu etc., always have fighters holding their spine in an erect posture, and rarely (if ever) leaning their head and/or neck towards an opponent.

This is only from my own personal experience with Muay Thai fighters. Hopefully you guys have found better schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Tfiguy View Post
    I miss it sooo much, esp my years over in Thailand.. I can't wait!
    Did you ever come across Muay Boran when you were in Thailand? I've only seen very little of it, but apparently it's the more traditional martial art of Thailand, whereas Muay Thai feels to me to be more of a competitive sport variation. From what I've seen and heard, it's more similar to other traditional martial arts in that they have more solid upright stances, lower attacks, tighter defences etc. It lacks the more flashy looking (and IMO less effectual) moves, jumps etc. of Muay Thai, but would basically be what Thai warriors would have actually used in combat where personal survival was the key, and not scoring points, impressing judges or winning competitions. When I look at Muay Boran, it looks a lot more similar to other traditional martial arts, and it's something I'd like to have a better look at if I ever get the chance.
    http://www.guidetothailand.com/trave.../muay-thai.jpg
    http://www.krumark.com/wp-content/ga...-boran-009.jpg
    http://www.muaythaifactory.com/muay-...ompetition.jpg
    http://www.krumark.com/wp-content/ga...oran-032_1.jpg
    http://www.best-muaythai-equipment.c...muayboran5.jpg

I don't know who you've talked about/practiced Muay Thai with Gok but we actually have very good groin defence. We use our lead leg to check across our body. I've found it to be better then in karate with some of the very wide traditional stances. I'll agree about the kicking, one of my instructors hates how I kick from the knee. But to compensate we do a lot of shin conditioning to make sure our shins are stronger in case you are off target.

Tfiguy, I live in Ulladulla, which is a small town 3 hours south of Sydney. I am fortunate however that we have a great school for the size if our town. My main coach Nick is the WKA full Muay Thai rules Australian champion for his weight division.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    I don't know who you've talked about/practiced Muay Thai with Gok but we actually have very good groin defence. We use our lead leg to check across our body. I've found it to be better then in karate with some of the very wide traditional stances.
    Cool. Unfortunately none of the MT guys I've ever trained with had good groin defence. But as we know, individual results can vary greatly between different schools, even if they teach the same martial art. I've been to Karate Dojos that practice excellent groin defence, while others are just really bad.

And I see what you mean about the wideness of stances as practised in some schools (the Yang Tai Chi school that I used to go to also taught their Bow Stance as being too impractically wide for my liking). I've also found that some of them leave the groin open. One example is the way that some people teach the Forward Stance in a wider position. IMO the forward stance should be aligned from the Riding Horse Stance (Kibadachi), which is meant to be the 'core fundamental' stance in a lot of East Asian martial arts; one ought to be able to "turn" into a Forward Stance from a Horse Stance.
    e.g.
    Forward Stance A
    Forward Stance B
    IMO Forward Stance B is better than A. A is too wide and appears to leave the groin open, whereas B is narrower and tighter. I've had people criticise this narrower gait for being "unstable" if someone pushes you from the side... but as if you would remain in this stance allowing someone to face you from your flank! The opponent is supposed to be in front of you, and quite frankly, if they manouevre themselves to your inside, then you should have already changed your stance so that your vulnerable side isn't facing them! It's almost as if they're expecting you to fight like a statue rather than these stances merely being momentary. So I wouldn't say that the traditional stances are inherently flawed, per se, but often just not taught or applied correctly, IMHO. And most likely, the Muay Thai guys that I trained with were probably taught incorrectly too.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    IMO Forward Stance B is better than A. A is too wide and appears to leave the groin open, whereas B is narrower and tighter.
    My favourite martial arts move would have to be Hold Block, press Up, Up, Up, and then press A + B.

Sorry, couldn't help myself
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Sorry, couldn't help myself
    Real life application

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    That was actually very well done. I LOL'd hard at the car bonus stage
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Yeah Gok, mate we really do have great groin defense. Depending which attack is being used, there are different ways to defend. You're right it is designed as a competitive martial art based on muay boran but modified. Muay thai isn't really regarded as flashy as most thai trainers always teach you just rely on the basics and concentrate on precision and timing and power. If you watch some youtube clips of Thai fighters, you will notice that they usually rely on the basics as they see pulling off big flashy moves all the time will get uncoordinated, and wear you out too fast, that's why it's sometimes nick named a lazy martial art, and you're always taught to relax and not go crazy. There are many borkes you can do that may help in giving you an opening. Imo I would call muay boran more flashy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tfiguy View Post
    If you watch some youtube clips of Thai fighters, you will notice that they usually rely on the basics as they see pulling off big flashy moves all the time will get uncoordinated, and wear you out too fast, that's why it's sometimes nick named a lazy martial art, and you're always taught to relax and not go crazy.
    Well, traditional martial arts do look "dull" and "boring" compared to the non-traditional styles as they were never designed to compete or entertain an audience -- purely for combat effectiveness. It's not flashy, and quite frankly, the dirtier and cheaper the move, the better. IMHO one of the best film quotes that adequately describes good martial arts combat is from Toy Story, "This isn't flying, this is falling with style!" Fancy and flashy moves are just massively impractical and, IMO, are more likely to get you hurt or killed in a fight. I totally agree with what you said about becoming uncoordinated and exhausted too. I've seen a lot of competition fighters do those "bouncing" steps and of course, leaping moves, whereas all the traditional stuff I've seen never bounce and rarely leap (what an ineffectual waste of energy!).

As someone who comes from a predominantly Tai Chi (which is a type of Kung Fu) training background, there's a public perception that Kung Fu looks like this, whereas in reality it looks more like this -- "Give me your face!" style of just ugly brutality.

http://broscience.co/crossfit-worst-...fence-program/

Warning! Do not use these techniques in a real life situation.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503