Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Action Comics #1 on ebay

Default Action Comics #1 on ebay

Checking out ebay at the moment, you might have seen the banner advert at the top of the pages for Action Comics #1 (the first comic with Superman, from 1938).
    The Auction still has 7 days to go, and is already at US$1.7 million (only pre-approved bidders too, so no fakes)... and is thought to be the best known copy in existence, so could well double that amount. (it looks so clean for a 76 year old comic, as if it was just printed yesterday... but it has been authenticated by a comic grading company that has graded about 60 copies of this comic in their 14 year history)

Aside from the curiosity of how much it ends up selling for (which for comic fans, this will be an historic moment seeing the most expensive comic ever), the auction has some sample pages from the comic, which are an interesting read. (the story is terrible, but I'd never read the first issue before)
    Plus, there is a youtube video embedded into the listing that gives a short history of this particular comic, and who the seller is (a comic store owner who bought it 30 years ago).

I wonder if ebay has ever sold anything more expensive than this... which could be why they are promoting it in their top banner (or the seller paid for it). Either way, the sale fee (likely to be about 4% on this one) will earn ebay a lot of money... and a lot more than the charity is getting for their name to help promote the sale (only 1% is going to the Christopher Reeve foundation).

Wow!

Gotta have rocks in the head to spend that sort of money on a comic. I find it hard to justify spending even $5 on a comic.

I'm looking for two people to go in on this auction with me. If we win we'll share the book. One person can have it Mondays and Thursdays, the second person will get it Tuesdays and Fridays, and I will take it Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Metro View Post
    Gotta have rocks in the head to spend that sort of money on a comic. I find it hard to justify spending even $5 on a comic.
    You have to enjoy them to understand their value. If I were a billionaire, I would not think twice about bidding.

It's an exemplary example of the beginning so pop /geek culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I'm looking for two people to go in on this auction with me. If we win we'll share the book. One person can have it Mondays and Thursdays, the second person will get it Tuesdays and Fridays, and I will take it Wednesdays and Saturdays.
    If we're talking Radioactive Man then we have a deal!

That's a crazily pristine copy of Action #1. When I was collecting comics reckon most of them will wouldn't even score a CGC 9 by the time I got them home...

Quote Originally Posted by BruiseLee View Post
    If we're talking Radioactive Man then we have a deal!

That's a crazily pristine copy of Action #1. When I was collecting comics reckon most of them will wouldn't even score a CGC 9 by the time I got them home...
    That's exactly it. a CGC 9 is mindblowing.

Anyone thinking Nicolas Cage will go for it?

Wow that amazing ..!! love the video that included as well with the auction... now that a good sell...

Quote Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
    That's exactly it. a CGC 9 is mindblowing.

Anyone thinking Nicolas Cage will go for it?
    Nick Cage Sold his a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by komikskolektor View Post
    Nick Cage Sold his a few years back.
    Didn't it get stolen first, then found, and so the insurance company owned it?