View Poll Results: Masterpiece Dirge - worth getting?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • And finish off all the Seekers? Hells yeah!

13 72.22%
  • Only if WAY cheaper than he is now

1 5.56%
  • Only if...

2 11.11%
  • Na

2 11.11%
  • Dirge is the swansong of this mold

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - MP 11-ND Dirge

Default Toy Review - MP 11-ND Dirge

DIRGE
    Series - Masterpiece
    Sub-line - none
    Size/class - n/a
    New/remould/redeco - remould/redeco
    Wave - n/a (MP-11NR)
    Released here - released in Japan in May 2017
    Approximate Retail Price - Bloody Expensive!
    Approximate Size - 24cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Delta-winged F-15
    Main Colours - Blue, Grey, Brown
    Main Accessories - Hologram Dr Archeville, 2 missiles.

Robot Mode

Despite being pretty much the same figure, for some reason Dirge strikes me as less stocky than see MP Thrust. The colours are quite good though I would have preferred to see a pure black like the toy rather than dark grey like the cartoon. He has the guns that most of the Seekers shared in the cartoon but these can be covered by bigger guns to resemble the machine guns that the toy had. These have been retooled from MP Ramjets rockets so are slightly different but overall look too big and bulky and resemble missiles rather than machine guns. Dirge is as poseable as any of the other MP seekers but there have been no real improvements. At least the missile racks built into his chest make sense as opposed to the likes of some other Seekers since he actually did deploy missiles from there in at least one episode.

Vehicle Mode

A faithful representation of the character from both the G1 cartoon and the toy. Dirge has the Decepticon emblem on his nosecone that the toy had but the ones on his wings are smaller than both the original toy and its cartoon depiction. The guns can be repositioned under the wings but again they really needed to be smaller. You can put (yet another) holographic Dr Archeville in the cockpit but I really would have preferred to see Shawn Berger, since he did go for a ride in Dirge at one point.

Overall
    This is the most expensive MP Seeker figure to date that wasn’t a variant of one that has already been done. That combined with the fact that Dirge was not hugely popular means that this will be a miss for a lot of folk. But if you are a MP or Seeker completionist or otherwise, like me, are one of the few Dirge fans out there then this is a nice way to end the Masterpiece Seeker line and will complete your collection nicely.

Megatran Guest

Any issue with loose hips?

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

As a warning to other collectors, DO NOT try to flap the little ends of his wings, even though they look flappable and will...it can cause damage, massive stress fractures on both of mine's sides, coulda cracked but I got lucky, a bit of a rub and they're sorta ok...its because the panel lines on the topside of the wings leave the plastic thin, it doesn't change the look of him in either mode anyway, I just thought...they looked moveable, d'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Any issue with loose hips?
    About the same as any other seeker but not to thrust's extent, he's the better of the trio

I pre-ordered mine from a certain dealer of dubious reputation so... not sure if I'll ever receive it.

It's a nice figure, probably my favourite of the MP Conehead's. After transforming Starscream recently I have no interest transforming this or any other of the seekers, it's just so finicky. But the Coneheads in bot mode look great altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    It's a nice figure, probably my favourite of the MP Conehead's. After transforming Starscream recently I have no interest transforming this or any other of the seekers, it's just so finicky. But the Coneheads in bot mode look great altogether.
    They all look the same to me in their boxes
    But Dirge is definitely one of my favourites thus far.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Sigh duplicate here I come.

If pc ever delivers, fine I am technically in the express line . Seeing I have not gotten a single item since 6 months, who am I kidding.

I think dirge looks a lot better than thrust.

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    I'm actually pretty well rehersed in the seeker mould. Only takes me a few minutes to go from bot/jet and back again.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I have heard people not liking this bot.

After 2 months by boat from Japan, I finally got the figure while some retailer must be trying to make a mold for it as it has been a fruitless wait.

For me, Dirge was a better made seeker than Thrust. Somehow it feels better, looks better in colour than Thrust.

Thrust fell flat for me in both modes. I felt Dirge was a lot better and out of all the coneheads this one had zero issues for me. If Ramjet was a perfect piece, I think Ramjet is my choice of the best conehead, however is not hence I think Dirge gets points for it.

Again, I honestly thing they should have reduced the size of the boxes as is just making cost higher for postage.

overall feel of the toy, I give a 7/10.

The null rays attachment doesn't attach as solid and comes off just as Ramjet is but better than Thrust which looks off.

NONE of the MP Coneheads are worth their RRP (15984JPY≈AU$190), let alone the inflated prices that many other sellers are charging. I can only recommend this toy for people who want to complete all the MP Coneheads, in which case... you don't need a review or recommendation because your mind's already made up.

But if you're unsure about it, don't bother. There's nothing inherent in the MP Coneheads that you don't get from the base MP3 mould or its MP11 retool, so if you any of the First Year Jets in either mould then you're really not missing out on much. I got MP Dirge and I'm glad that I did, but that's because I wanted to complete the Coneheads. Those of us who have this toy have all paid a ≥$90 completion tax. So in answer to the poll question of is it worth getting, I answered "Only if" -- only if you really want this toy. But it's just not worth even the base asking price which most retailers don't charge - the only ones would be TakaraTOMYMall which sold out quickly and you need a Japanese mailing address, and the other being Voldemort Collectibles, so except for a small handful of lucky recipients 500,000 generations of mayflies will pass before you might expect to see your toy arrive.