Thread: Camera Question

Default Camera Question

So for the longest time I've only used my camera phone to take pictures, but I'm in that stage of my life were I need to grow up, but on big boy pants, and get a decent camera.

So my question is this: I'm only interested mainly to take photos that show my TF's in general, taking pictures close up, but also to get a generally good question. Do I need to invest in an entry level SLR camera, or will a point and shoot do he job?

Personally would like to get an SLR but body plus lens at starting level is $700. A friend of mine high recommends not getting second hand due to the fact that sensors and lens being put out of alignment which cost big $$$ to fix.

Thoughts?

Last thing, I'd also be taking pictures of the cats ... that's my way in to sell the whole idea to my partner, otherwise she might shoot down the whole idea ...

Better ask the guys at the Toy Photography thread what is appropriate for your needs.

The single most important factor in toy photography to me is lighting. Get the lighting right and you can take fantastic shots with an iPhone camera (as I've seen Deceptic_Optic regularly do). But it all depends on your budget. Imo an SLR is probably overkill unless you're serious about photography. And not just toy photography.

A fancy point and shoot where you can manually adjust the settings would be a better and cheaper bet. and you can use it for other things because it fits in your pocket. I always take our Olympus point-and-shoot over my DSLR because my DSLR is huge, bulky and annoying.

But to each their own. Hope this helps
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

A normal point and shoot will do the job nicely. The key thing you may want to keep an eye out for is it's Macro photo options (How close you can the lens to the subject). Usually indicated by the 'flower' icon on one of the buttons of the camera.

I've picked up a new phone with a decent lens and camera, and it takes good photos, but I avoid using it for toys as it can't focus on subjects that are close up too well. Which I find annoying as toys are generally small.

Most cameras now will have a reasonable macro as well as various shooting modes. To sell the idea to your partners, just have a looks at the modes for the 'pets' option.

I think each person has their own company likes/bias. I really like Canon cameras and used my first one for 9 years. Now I have another canon and think its wonderful. Olypmus is also pretty good too.

Just have a squizz at what's in your budget and if possible have a play at a shop with one so you can get a feel for how quickly is reacts/takes time to focus and how the OS and options feel.

I'd avoid an SLR as they are expensive and if your just starting out it's probably better to go with something easy to use until you get the hang of the additional factors, such as lighting, framing focus etc.

I'd keep an eye out for a small compact system camera. Although I'm a Canon man myself (and love my EOS M as an offsider to my 60D), the Sony NEX line are pretty great. Check out OzBargain and have a look for a deal.

Not huge in size, interchangeable lenses, and pretty rock solid auto modes for when you're starting out.

My advice? Use the $700 to buy a g1 overlord and use the phone

I agree with the others - get a compact that allows you to adjust settings, and once you're comfortable with making adjustments to get a good shot, then get a DSLR.