Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $10K worth of Lego stolen

Default $10K worth of Lego stolen

Heard this on the radio news this morning. Be on the watch if someone starts offering you cheap Lego.

Brazen bandits have made off with thousands of dollars' worth of Lego in two separate raids on a toy store in Victoria's north.

Police believe the thieves twice broke into the shop in Station Street, Seymour, on May 24 and May 26 between 1pm and 8am, by removing the glass sliding door. Once inside, they stole a Lego stand valued at $10,000 before fleeing in a car.

The second burglary occurred between 1pm on Sunday and 7am on Monday.

The thieves once again removed the front glass door, and nicked a further $5000 of Lego, targeting the Lego "City" and Lego "Technic" sets.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/to...#ixzz33WdpMv7i
    The story also reminds me of this clip from the Glass House about "Hot Lego"

Megatran Guest

That's dreadful. Once is bad enough but twice in quick succession is soul destroying. I hope these crims build a prison cell from the stolen Lego and lock themselves up.

Changing topic slightly, I saw on the news yesterday that crims stole 270kg of golf balls from a Melbourne golf driving range. Yes 270kg!!! Be on the look out for crims looking to sell cheap golf balls.

Good lord, how to they honestly expect to move that much Lego without being caught!? - What a ludicrous item AND amount to steal!

At retail, that's about 45 Simpsons houses.... Or 21 SSD's...

Seeming my local Toyword has Opera Houses, SSDs, Simpsons Houses, and targets and Myer have the Sea Cow.... let me have a Think...

This could easily be done taking just 16 lego shipping boxes. I just looked at retail prices for SSD, Death Star, Opera House, Sea Cow, Ewok Villiage, Tower Bridge, Simpsons House and Modular Town Hall.... assume 2 per box, take 4 (2 boxes) and you have your 15 K.

I was going to say that's a lot but not a real lot of Lego given it's retail price.

but also very disappointing, I hope they get caught and all the stock returned.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

They might be hard core Lego collectors who won't sell what they stole but rather build stuff with the loot.
    Hard to catch em that way... unless someone dobs them in.

Quote Originally Posted by ChlorHex View Post
    They might be hard core Lego collectors who won't sell what they stole but rather build stuff with the loot.
    Hard to catch em that way... unless someone dobs them in.
    After I read it was technic and city sets in the second raid, the thought crossed my mind, $5000 of a non licensed brand would get you a fair amount of lego.

Guess the police will be keeping an eye on any ebay or gumtree sellers who may be trying to flog off a large amount of sealed sets...
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I just saw that on the news.

Since it was so specific, it wouldn't be for resale... I think you'll end up seeing the mass creation on the annual convention circuit to "compete" (keep up with others), and no one will even know it was all stolen.

They noted that the glass from the front door was professionally removed... so if the police look for a glassier at the next few Lego display events, they might have their man.

this is starting to sound like an episode of NCIS

Unfortunately I can't see the police devoting a whole lot of resources to finding these thieves. "it's just some Lego" would be a common comment, and value wise, there are much bigger cases out there.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Look for an influx of lego for sale on ebay