Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deliberate Mistransformations

Default Deliberate Mistransformations

Does anyone deliberately mis-transform any of their toys? This could refer to just one small placing of a body part to achieve a preferred look in contrast to what instructions say. In some cases it could even have been intended by the designers but never documented for consumers. It however tends to fall short of a full desire to invent a fan mode.

Here are a few I or my brother did over the years (our collections were once in effect one collection so some of the toys I refer to I do not myself own).

G1 Optimus Prime (1984): Placing Roller on back of robot as a kind of low-slung backpack.

G1 Jazz (1984): Swinging doors back behind robot, as per cartoon look. Nowadays, I have to resist the desire to do this with mold-mate Stepper.

G1 Ratchet (1984): We used to combine both modules to achieve a taller robot mode. The rear tracks would be angled to form the feet of a vertically oriented medical bay and the smaller robot legs would fit in around the area of the front track. This would give Ratchet a huge bustle-like skirt out behind with the launcher emerging from it. We did a similar thing with Rodimus Prime. I've never seen images of this online, but surely others must have done something like this too.

G1 Grimlock (1985): Would sometimes angle his leg-hip parts to make the robot mode a tad taller.

G1 Megatron (1984): Sometimes positioned his gun barrel in robot mode like it is in the cartoon. This can be done but always feels a little awkward.

G1 'Coneheads' (1985): You know what we did. I think it would be more interesting to find fans who (a) did not or (b) gave the Conehead treatment to the other Seekers.

G1 Onslaught (1986): Would not fully extend his legs, because it did not seem fair that he was taller than Hotspot.

And now moving onto more recent times and a live-action toy...

Scorponox (as Michael Bay apparently spells it): I rarely put this live-action 'Zoid in all but name' into robot mode, but when I do I give it an ape-like posture, with all four limbs touching the ground. It just looks less naff.

And finally some Generations...

Victorion: One kind of kibble I quite like is wheels, so Rust Dust as breast plate has those half back wheels showing.

Overlord: I place the jet plane nose-cockpit piece on the robot's chest, pointing downward, rather than on the arm. I just feel this achieves a more 'Transformerly' look.

Trypticon: Not sure if this is a mis-transformation, but I've deliberately not placed those golden stickers on his eyes. Admittedly, I've used very few of those stickers because my patience and hand-eye coordination refused. But even if I could be bothered, I would not cover those lovely trans-orange peepers.

Over to you.

I don't mistransform the 2nd Year Decepticon jets and I know of other collectors who don't either. I generally avoid deliberately mistransforming toys, at least when they're on display. One exception would be Apeface. Because the back kibble on mine has become so loose I deliberately swing the ape mode legs all the way down towards the back. I also angle the ape arms towards the front of the robot and then clip the ape arms and legs together to hold them in position. I also flip out the ape feet 180° to help get a firmer grip. But yeah, such mistransformations are done out of necessity. Sometimes I might shift a part in to save space.

For G1 Omega Supreme I use the show accurate tracks on his back instead of the toy accurate tracks.

For Henkei Lambor and Alert I put their guns on their shoulders to mimic shoulder cannons.

And for my United and Generations Scourges, I have their wings transformed differently to denote Scourge from the Sweeps.

I generally try to transform correctly though.

The one that sticks in mind for me was taking CHUG Scourge's wings off & swapping them. I was never a fan of the pointing down look & fortunately enough it was easy enough to pry them off and flip them up.

About the only 'mistransformation' i've done is with my CHUG BattleTrap. In combined robot mode the rotor on his back sits flush and rigid with his torso which doesn't make for very dynamic posing. I found online a 'fan mode' to still have the rotor 'backpack' plugged in so it can be free-spinning and still looks good and he has his full range of motion now.

I have yet to try moving the wings on my God Ginrai combined mode to a lower height because its so damn fiddly to do, but now that Super Ginrai and Godbomber are separated for a while I may try next time I combine them again.

Quote Originally Posted by TaZZerath View Post
    About the only 'mistransformation' i've done is with my CHUG BattleTrap. In combined robot mode the rotor on his back sits flush and rigid with his torso which doesn't make for very dynamic posing. I found online a 'fan mode' to still have the rotor 'backpack' plugged in so it can be free-spinning and still looks good and he has his full range of motion now.
    Battletrap is one of mine too. My preference re the bacpack is to use the big chunky tab/slot that's used in copter mode to lock the arms together to secure them as a backpack. You end up with the chopper blade between the torso and backpack, but it's doesn't flop about.

I also prefer to bend Roadtrap's arms 90 degrees at the elbow in combined mode. Otherwise I find that the arms interfere with the ankle articulation.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

G1 Dirge, Ramjet and Thrust have the nosecones left up.

G1 Hot Rod has the neck piece behind the chest rather than in front of it.

G1 Omega Supreme (and Converters Omegatron for that matter) have two parts of the track attached to the backpack rather than all six pieces.

G1 Megatron has his legs spread further apart to help him stand.

Galvatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    G1 Dirge, Ramjet and Thrust have the nosecones left up.

G1 Hot Rod has the neck piece behind the chest rather than in front of it.

G1 Omega Supreme (and Converters Omegatron for that matter) have two parts of the track attached to the backpack rather than all six pieces.

These examples are more for aesthetics rather than mistransformations. I do the same for G1 Coneheads and Omega Supreme.

Isn't there a tab on Hot Rod's head/chest piece for that specific purpose? To tab in behind the chest, or am I having a Mandela Effect moment?

Galvatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    For the glaring obvious reason. *chuckles*