12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Act discretely on all items of interest

10 83.33%
  • Post a thread on items of interest

2 16.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ninja Bidding

Quote Originally Posted by 16364279 View Post
    ...people on here are to self infatuated to post max bids...
    I don't think this is the case at all. It's a public forum. That would be like playing online poker and going to a public forum and posting what cards you have been dealt.

Quote Originally Posted by blackie
    ebay is an auction site
    people bid
    person willing to go the highest wins
    nice and simple
    +1 QFT

If you don't like those rules, don't participate in auctions. There are plenty of other ways to obtain Transformers other than eBay.
    (I seldomly get TFs off eBay)

I normally use buy it now or best offers but do auction now and then.

I actually got some seacons yesterday at (what I think is) a good price and near complete.

I bid the most I would want to pay for a toy. If someone beats me, then I don't really care because it means that the item has exceeded what I wanted to pay for it anyway! I'll just wait until I can find it at a price that I'm willing to pay.

And the price that I'm willing to pay is, IMO, what the toy is worth to me. So when the auction exceeds my bid, to me the price has exceeded the toy's worth/value. For example if I see a toy that I think is worth $50, I'll bid about that. If the auction ends at $80 then bugger that -- why should I pay $80 for a toy that I think should only be worth $50?!? If you saw a Movie Voyager (RRP $50) being sold in a store for $80, would you pay that price or wait until you can find the toy for $50 or cheaper? I'd go for the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I bid the most I would want to pay for a toy. If someone beats me, then I don't really care because it means that the item has exceeded what I wanted to pay for it anyway! I'll just wait until I can find it at a price that I'm willing to pay.

And the price that I'm willing to pay is, IMO, what the toy is worth to me. So when the auction exceeds my bid, to me the price has exceeded the toy's worth/value. For example if I see a toy that I think is worth $50, I'll bid about that. If the auction ends at $80 then bugger that -- why should I pay $80 for a toy that I think should only be worth $50?!? If you saw a Movie Voyager (RRP $50) being sold in a store for $80, would you pay that price or wait until you can find the toy for $50 or cheaper? I'd go for the latter.
    But doesn't the thought that you could get it cheaper ever cross your mind? Like say if you bid $50 and the highest anybody else is willing to bid was only $40 then you could have gotten it cheaper then $50.

meh, not really. Again, I seldomly get stuff from eBay.

A shotgun on something may not even eventuate in the person bidding/buying at all. i.e. getting nervous and taking a dump and completely missing the auction sniping phase. or on a more serious note, having an incredibly low max bid as opposed to someone whos prepared to pay more.

On another note, althought not completely off-topic, on a personal experience alot (thankfully not all) of 'shotguns' on the sales forum here are just impulse decisions resulting in "sorry no longer interested" or followed by a pm "please place it on hold pending picture and condition", similarly what says they won't pull out of an ebay shotgun.

Of course shotgunning between friends is another matter, and I've had to withdraw or delete a watchlist item because a mate has informed me they will be bidding on it, albeit unwillingly on some occassions, but bros over hos. On a public forum to a alot of randoms? I dunno about that... and lets be honest how many will even take the person seriously?
    Last edited by jgon2098; 30th July 2009 at 03:50 PM.