Thread: Metroplex G1 Restoration Question

Default Metroplex G1 Restoration Question

Hi,
    I`m currently restoring a Metroplex G1 toy (Plastic wheels chrome stickers) and am in the process of giving him a hydrogen peroxide bath to remove the major yellowing. I have a couple of questions i hop you guys can help.
    I`ve just bought the standard hydrogen peroxide from the supermarkets and are leaving them out for a couple of days in the sun and the plastic is turning out great. But i`m at the point of the legs and the helipad which have a few metal rods and i`m concerned that the bath will oxidise the metal rods. Most of the rods are one way and it would be difficult to use the soldering iron techniques as there is little to grab onto and nothing to pull (like the wheels).
    Has anyone given had any troubles with leaving the rods/ metal parts (lower hip section) in place and leaving them in the hydrogen peroxide bath for a day or two?
    Also, i was going to tape over the chrome parts of the plastic wheels instead of pulling them off with the soldering iron technique, would htis be advisable?
    Sorry this is my first toy that i`m restoring and just dont want to stuff it up/ ruin him.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    thanks.

Update 2
    Well as said before hydrogen peroxide and chrome plastic are not good friends. Its pretty much stripped in about 2 hours using 3% H2O2. But good news is I used the soldering iron technique with success.
    On another note, I`ve read on the web that some guys have been adding oxyaction powders to their peroxide mix. I can say that, unless its well mixed you`ll have all the powder remnants attach to any metal rods you cannot remove. I didn't have enough H2O2 yo do plex`s large grey legs in my new large bottle and as the town i live in doesn't open on Sundays i just added about 100ml of water and thought to add oxyaction to help with the process as the mixture had been used for the rest of plex so i thought its potency would be lacking. it helped but i found on every exposed metal rod i couldn't remove a nice paste of oxyaction. so after a scrubbing all good.
    So now all i have to do is get some repro labels and hell be done. (Maybe in the new year)
    Last edited by karmacows; 12th December 2015 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Update
    Got G1 Junkers or bits? Message me and maybe we can work something out.

I've never done this myself.
    I'd recommend finding a junker with similar features that you don't care about and trying it on that one first.
    Taping I'm not convinced by. you need to make sure the tape wont react to the bath but also find a tape that will hold when submerged and is also waterproof (ie won't just soak through)
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I've never done this myself.
    I'd recommend finding a junker with similar features that you don't care about and trying it on that one first.
    Taping I'm not convinced by. you need to make sure the tape wont react to the bath but also find a tape that will hold when submerged and is also waterproof (ie won't just soak through)
    Good advice from UltraMarginal there. I'd suggest the tape will be next to useless in a situation like this.

I've H2O2'd a couple of smaller G1s and had no problems with the pins, provided the toy is given a very good rinse and allowed to dry very thoroughly. The oxidisation will only happen if you leave water on it too long. Hot, dry weather can be your friend in these scenarios!

I've not tried H2O2 baths on chrome pieces before but my gut tells me that it will be fine. If you're going to chrome sticker it though, maybe it doesn't matter so much? Back to UltraMarginal's advice, get a junker with chrome on it and try it out.

Good luck! I would be very interested in pics (WIP and finished product) if you are so inclined to share.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Thanks Guys. Found an old broken Prime chromed grill i chucked in with some more plastic and ill let you know. As for pictures, silly me forgot to take some of him all together. only got photos of the bottom hlf and the helipad. but will post in the relevant forums when ive done some more. I`ve gone a bit crazy and currently have 3 metroplexes to restore. started on the worst one and to be honest the oldest one with the rubber tires and chrome legs is the best quality.

Update

So junker prime chrome grill does not like hydrogen peroxide. 2 hours in the bottle ion the sun and 90% of chrome has gone. Looks like i`ll either have to remove wheels or use hairdresser hydrogen peroxide gel with those parts covered up. Either way its not happening today. Oh well such is life
    Last edited by karmacows; 29th November 2015 at 03:21 PM.
    Got G1 Junkers or bits? Message me and maybe we can work something out.

I'd advise you do use the gel as you have more control on where it should go just use a cue tip, and not like the bath where it'll just go to everything even the chromed parts you don't want it be on. With the gel though it will be stronger so you might have to do some remove and re coat when it dries up a bit. Ive been using the gel I bought from Priceline since. Good luck with your project
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]