Page 116 of 154 FirstFirst ... 96106111112113114115116117118119120121126136 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1535

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Watched (most of) the Netflix movie Bright last night. If you’ve not heard of it, it is a buddy cop/fantasy genre piece set in the modern day, but one where elves, orcs, fairies, and magic exist in the real world, and stars Will Smith as a LA cop, partnered with the LAPD’s first ever Orc officer. They get into strife following finding a Magic Wand and have to deal with a whole bunch of others who want it.

I’ve heard it’s been getting some poor reviews but it’s pretty good. Haven’t seen how it ends though, and that may change my view, as it does go off in a weird direction late in the movie. The main criticism that I can level at it is that the themes are painted in very broad un-subtle strokes (Orcs representing African Americans, Elves being the 1%-ers, etc). Also there’s a bit of a tone-deaf line in the opening minutes, especially coming from Will Smith.

Anyone else seen it? I’d be interested in some other views.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

I reckon it looks good. Hope it comes out on blu ray

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    Watched (most of) the Netflix movie Bright last night. If you’ve not heard of it, it is a buddy cop/fantasy genre piece set in the modern day, but one where elves, orcs, fairies, and magic exist in the real world, and stars Will Smith as a LA cop, partnered with the LAPD’s first ever Orc officer. They get into strife following finding a Magic Wand and have to deal with a whole bunch of others who want it.

I’ve heard it’s been getting some poor reviews but it’s pretty good. Haven’t seen how it ends though, and that may change my view, as it does go off in a weird direction late in the movie. The main criticism that I can level at it is that the themes are painted in very broad un-subtle strokes (Orcs representing African Americans, Elves being the 1%-ers, etc). Also there’s a bit of a tone-deaf line in the opening minutes, especially coming from Will Smith.

Anyone else seen it? I’d be interested in some other views.
    Saw the trailer for it and I'd hate to say this but it looks like a movie I'll treat as a comedy even though I'm not supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by shockNwave View Post
    Saw the trailer for it and I'd hate to say this but it looks like a movie I'll treat as a comedy even though I'm not supposed to.
    It does take itself pretty seriously. Probably to it’s own detriment.

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms

Will Smith was saying he's trying to tackle racial issues via sci-fi/fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptormesh View Post
    Will Smith was saying he's trying to tackle racial issues via sci-fi/fantasy.
    Makes that line in the opening scene (delivered by Smith) - “Fairy lives don’t matter today” - even more problematic. He’s supposed to be a guy that doesn’t buy into the “racism” against orcs, but he still utters this line. It’s as awkward as hell.

Really? Thought it had humour. I thought the concept was good showing a different way those fantasy creatures interactfrom the usual.

Bright was great

Jumanji 2. Verdict: go see it. Very funny. Very enjoyable to watch

Went to see Maze Runner: The Death Cure and if you've seen the prequels then you'll have a fair idea of the balance between action and suspense. All up an enjoyable movie. Although I haven't read the books so I'm not in the best position to make comparisons.