Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: TF4 "Then & Now" sets coming to ToysRUs

TrU codes
    Edited accordingly

Could we possibly be getting the smaller simplified movie toy with a Universe styled toy (originally Beast Wars-II I think) in the deluxe class. Since they are older toys it'd be easier to reproduce cheaply.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Since they are older toys it'd be easier to reproduce cheaply.
    Older doesn't mean cheaper to produce. Hasbro has said moulds from before 2011 are two expensive to produce now. So if they are using old moulds it would have to be ROTF or later.

Exclusives are often exempt from "rules" pertaining to the main lines.
    Do you have a link to what Hasbro were referring to, as I think the "expense" element may have been referring to the Hasbro mainline sizes shrinking in size around 2011-2012, making it less likely to reproduce one from before the last movie.
    But, Takara Beast Era figures were of varying sizes because they didn't have size classes, and each figure had different prices. If one is similar size to the current Deluxe class, it could be within their budget to do it if they wanted to. Some of the HK Generations were pre-2011 moulds, and were released in America as exclusives... and this set of "Then & Now" sound like exclusives.

But it's all moot really, as the $25 pricing of these smaller sets at TRU means it is a smaller-than-Deluxe figure (if a single figure). And if it is a 2-pack, it would have to be similar to a GEN Legends 2-pack.

$25 doesn't give you much room to play at TrU when you're looking at a two-pack, if they are a two pack & not a bunch of robot heroes; two commander class figures are $40 & i doubt that TrU would take a $15 hit. Two Legions? Not much change from a $20 note there, but i suppose with a movie mark-up, it may be what we end up with. Robot Replica style's another consideration or perhaps a mix of class figures.
    The $89.99 pair could easily be made up of two voyagers. Who knows what me may end up with

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Do you have a link to what Hasbro were referring to
    I'm just going by whats been said here by other people (reliable people). From what I was told it was a response to a Botcon question and they were not just referring to the amount of plastic but also to the operations to build the figure.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    I'm just going by whats been said here by other people (reliable people). From what I was told it was a response to a Botcon question and they were not just referring to the amount of plastic but also to the operations to build the figure.
    Ah, I thought it might have been... which I didn't remember off-hand what was being said, so was hoping that you might have had something to help refresh my memory.
    It sounds about right though - some time around the third movie, cost-cutting of the two main lines (Prime & Movie) resulted in a budget that wouldn't make it easy to re-use previous moulds... at least in the main line because they can only charge a certain price to retailers on them. They can charge more for exclusives if a Retailer is interested, so they might still be usable.
    At least, one would hope so when it comes to figures that only got a small release, or were not produced before the axing of a line.

the cost of re-producing aGen 1 figure might be a lot more than a modern figure, Generation one toys were designed with much less modern materials in mind, they probably use a lot more plastic as it would have been more brittle back then and less plyable.
    the toys themselves were a lot more complex (costruction wise) than many of todays toys are. an example would be an arm, a modern arm would consist of perhaps 5 parts that just clip together, shoulder, bicep, forearm hand, all with simple ball joint or rotating disc connections. an old G1 arm, upper arm, forward and back halves, lower arm forward and back halves, at least one pin for each of those joints, and probably a screw or two. probably 2 parts for the hand to slide into the arm. so maybe 8 parts.

I'm not saying all modern toys are much simpler but there is potentially a 30-40% higher parts count in a G1 toy compared to a modern toy where a lot of the joints are part of the pieces rather than an additional piece or more.
    there is extra expense in the size of the mold to produce all the extra parts, assembly time, extra plastic volume to support the extra thickness, extra worldwide shipping/distiribution charges to cover the extra weight.

Having said that, i'd be happy to cough up a few extra dollars for a re-issue G1 figure especially if it's a dinobot or something along those lines that we've previously been given the impression we'll never see on a retail shelf again.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

^ Plus the fact that the Dinobot moulds have been lost rules out a G1 reissue.

Maybe the $25 ones are a simplified toy not a deluxe and some sort of statue.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    ^ Plus the fact that the Dinobot moulds have been lost rules out a G1 reissue.

Maybe the $25 ones are a simplified toy not a deluxe and some sort of statue.
    Since when have the Dinobots moulds been lost? Don't recall reading that one
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain