Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122232425263141 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by bakakun View Post
    Would a different colour scheme prevent it from being classed as a imitation weapon?, like purple for green?

I know gold won't because there are gold plated guns in existence.
    Please direct this type of questioning to the gun formers thread, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bakakun View Post
    Would a different colour scheme prevent it from being classed as a imitation weapon?, like purple for green?

I know gold won't because there are gold plated guns in existence.
    http://www.police.vic.gov.au/retriev...&status=active

This answers your question.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The display unit must be lockable, but it does not need to be a safe nor does it need to be wall mounted. Mine is just a glass display cube that's is locked by a padlock.

So get a glass display cabinet with a key lock. It is a more expensive option though, getting a small display unit is the cheaper alternative.
    Are you sure that display cube/case is acceptable? in my brief discussion with an officer you must not be able to pick it up easily and smash it to get the contents out but then my argument was what's the difference to smashing the door of a very large display unit, the answer was perception of ease of break in.
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    The pink rifle on the 2nd or 3rd page... imagine a pink redeco Megatron... for the girls of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    So it possibly?

Speaking of redecos, since MP10 got a EVA Unit 01 colour scheme, I hope Megatron gets a EVA Unit 02 colour scheme. That way you could even justify something like an orange top barrel, because Unit 02's colour scheme is red, orange, white and black.

But I'll just be happy to get the normal version if I can only get one.

Robzy: I don't know about other states, but in NSW fictitious imitation firearms like Han Solo's blaster require a permit and safe storage compliance like Megatron. While Solo's blaster is based off a real gun, other fictitious guns which aren't but look realistic enough are also restricted. An example of this is Deckard's gun from Blade Runner; this is also prohibited in NSW despite not being directly modelled off any real life gun. But it's overall shape and colour make it look realistic to a lay person who knows nothing about guns, even with the two triggers (because if a person is pointing a gun at you in a dark alley way, you're not likely to stop and count the triggers; you're more likely to perceive it as an actual threat).

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    Are you sure that display cube/case is acceptable? in my brief discussion with an officer you must not be able to pick it up easily and smash it to get the contents out but then my argument was what's the difference to smashing the door of a very large display unit, the answer was perception of ease of break in.
    When applying for the permit you have a provide a description of your safe storage and I included a detailed description of this display cube. Considering that the NSW Police Ministry approved my application and granted me my permit, I'm assuming that they found it acceptable. I know of other people who use similar display units who've also had their permits approved too (in NSW).

bakakun: the Megatron Club page has a proforma letter to submit to the Police in application for a permit. I recommend looking at that and modelling your wording off that template. The Megatron Club was set up by a lawyer and thus the sample letters provided uses legally preferred/acceptable language.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    There is not much to fill out on the form, other than ticking the B709A box, describing the the toy completely (what it replicates and what it is called as a Transformers toy), and that you are a toy collector of a certain amount of years or toys. That's it.
    I will have to post up an edited copy of my form... to show what is required on the form.
    The form I used to apply for the (free) import permit... from the Queensland Police. All very simple really.
    Even though Megatron is an imitation/replica of a Category H firearm, the B709A option includes all replicas.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post

Damn Griffin over 5000! Can't wait for over 9000, queue the memes!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    bakakun: the Megatron Club page has a proforma letter to submit to the Police in application for a permit. I recommend looking at that and modelling your wording off that template. The Megatron Club was set up by a lawyer and thus the sample letters provided uses legally preferred/acceptable language.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into these documents and see if they apply to where I live. After skimming through one of the documents, I can see a problem my lack of security grilles could be a problem.

Boy, all this work for a toy...