Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Biz X-Men

Default Toy Biz X-Men

Not sure if these have been discussed already. Anyone remember these from the 1990s at the peak of the X-Men's popularity? It was around the time cartoon aired in Australia. There was only a small selection of characters in the first line - some very scrawny-looking with outdated costumes. Then they expanded the series to include (then) current costumes and different versions of characters. Some of the packaging seemed to differ from the US releases, with Tyco card backs instead of Toy Biz branding. It seems Australian retail stores didn't really get much stuff later on. Comic book shops sometimes had them, but for $20.

Yep, I had a few (Colossus, Wolverine, Archangel, Apocalypse, Juggernaut) but got rid of them a year or two back. I remember following what ones were coming out in the US but there weren't a lot on shelves here (outside comic shops). I think I got all mine at Kmart.

I became an X-Fan in 1991 and remain a huge fan to this day, its only second to my Transfandom. But its s fandom that remains firmly in the comic books - don't think I have a single X-Men related toy these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I think I got all mine at Kmart.
    Yep, remember seeing then at K-Mart around 1994. It was the X-Force series including Cable, Warpath, Shatterstar and Stryfe. Also remember seeing Weapon X Wolverine. I believe they were $13.99 at that point.

World 4 Kids once had a huge wall of Tyco branded X-Men figures like Iceman, Forge, Banshee, Mr Sinister, Sauron etc. They were all only around $9.99 or something.

Mid to late 1990s, Myer had Wolverine II, Cyclops I, Magneto and Gambit going for $4.95. Simple but cool looking from a nostalgia perspective.

The original line was based off the failed pilot "Pryde of the X-Men", hence the figures looking nothing like the eventual cartoon (which I believe opened with the "Night of the Sentinels" episode(s?)).

As far as I recall off the top of my head anyway!

Yep that'd be about right. It was a bit odd for the toys to not look like the Jim Lee redesigns that had occurred by the time they came out (and which the Animated series used).

The 'Pryde of the X-Men' designs also made it to the arcade game - which I recall playing in an arcade, but the App version of it is not much fun.

Pryde of the X-Men = Wolverine with an Australian-ish accent Where did that come from? Did it ever air on Australian TV? I remember seeing "Night of the Sentinels" in early 1993. Cyclops was originally released with his X-Factor uniform. Think they released a redeco without the white X plus yellow highlights a bit later.

Quote Originally Posted by kovert View Post
    Pryde of the X-Men = Wolverine with an Australian-ish accent Where did that come from? Did it ever air on Australian TV? I remember seeing "Night of the Sentinels" in early 1993. Cyclops was originally released with his X-Factor uniform. Think they released a redeco without the white X plus yellow highlights a bit later.
    "Night of the Sentinels" (and all series one) was shown here in 1993. I don't know if the Pryde pilot ever did. All these years later I've never actually seen it (but not that interested in seeing it either)

Quote Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
    The original line was based off the failed pilot "Pryde of the X-Men", hence the figures looking nothing like the eventual cartoon (which I believe opened with the "Night of the Sentinels" episode(s?)).

As far as I recall off the top of my head anyway!
    I think you're a little confused - the characters' costumes were comic-based, just not necessarily the ones they were still wearing at the time. (Storm's was the random exception, which looked more like Ms Marvel's torso, presumably in order to include its "Power Glow chest". The line began with Wolverine, Storm, Archangel, Nightcrawler, Cyclops, Colossus, Juggernaut, Magneto and Apocalypse, two of whom weren't in "Pryde", and some (particularly Cyclops in his X-Factor gear) looked strikingly different from their animated counterparts.

Was that the series that had the Wolverine toy as Weapon X with a helmet (?)
    Always wanted that toy

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Storm's was the random exception, which looked more like Ms Marvel's torso, presumably in order to include its "Power Glow chest".
    Storm's costume was comic based too, that full body black outfit with a lighting bolt across her chest was her costume for a short while around the early-mid 200s of Uncanny.