27 87.10%
  • Only if...

2 6.45%
  • Not worth it

0 0%
  • Not even interested

2 6.45%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - JP MP-28 Masterpiece Hot Rodimus (Hot Rod)

is there a specific reason why the gun handles can flip to a non tabbed handle? (I haven't opened my manual and probably won't ).

Also have they started selling those mp stands yet? I read about them last year and nothing came off it xD

I haven't tried on mine but i imagine they flip so they can slot onto the top-back of the car. The stands came out in Dec http://takaratomymall.jp/shop/g/g4904810853008/ .. iirc they're exclusive to TakaraTomy Mall and doesn't seem like the regular stores have picked any up to onsell...

Quote Originally Posted by doublespy View Post
    I've always wanted to recreate the "Arise, Rodimus Prime" scene
    Needs a matrix or two

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    I haven't tried on mine but i imagine they flip so they can slot onto the top-back of the car. The stands came out in Dec http://takaratomymall.jp/shop/g/g4904810853008/ .. iirc they're exclusive to TakaraTomy Mall and doesn't seem like the regular stores have picked any up to onsell...
    ah cheers for that info...I've stored his guns in his box to reduce the chance of me losing it lol.

I'd definitely order a bunch of stands if they were made available to our regular stores!

Mine arrived yesterday and I have to say a lot of the complaints about this guy are overblown. The backpack isn't amazing but it's hardly a deal breaker. Definitely the best version of the character we've had to date.

My biggest complaint is actually his legs. They weigh nothing making him very top heavy, and feeling a little cheap.

I still quite like MP-9, but i'm glad they decided to do Hot Rod in a smaller scale; as nice as MP-9's car mode is, it is hilariously big really. For MP-28, they've managed to make 2 really good modes with very little compromise i feel. The car is even better than MP-9 - just as sleek and without the orange arm pieces on the sides, though there's a slight colour mismatch on his elbow pieces, that's me being too picky! Just because the high gloss magenta on the rest looks so nice is it noticeable.

The robot definitely pegs together a whole lot more solidly, and in hand, the proportions aren't really bad at all. They actually look much more humanoid than say Prowl or Sideswipe. His legs could do with a bit of heft but it balanced well and i'm glad they didn't overcomplicate their transformation. The top half is complex with some good "Masterpiece moments" and the backpack... well i can't see how they'd make it any smaller, so i think they did a good job.

The transformation being very similar to one of the scenes in the movie is a great touch, anime magic be damned! Overall very happy and as some photos show, it's nice to have more S3 representation... that reminds me, i should have pulled out Legends Arcee for these shots, she's another good MP stand-in like Springer.

Decided to transform Hot Rod to car mode and was frustrated with the collar piece...the clearance isn't enough! I've got no problem with the leg pieces, just that darn collar piece! (iirc mp-09 had the same issue but i was able to get proper clearance with that).

Also gun storage in vehicle mode.

I was only able to get the gun shown to fit into hot rods engine. Didn't have offshoot readily available to see if he fits, but i'm pretty sure his peg won't fit.

At best there must be about 2-3mm clearance with everything aligned, but it's still not enough to roll it around without fear of scraping. It'd be nice if it rolled better, but not a dealbreaker for me cause mine just sits there

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Chrome on my ironhide is chipping off not sure hot rod is worse

Love this figure. My TT MP-9 Rodimus is now going to be permanently displayed as Rodimus in robot mode, with MP-28 Hot Rod in both robot and car mode (couldn't buy just one!). My Hasbro Rodimus is sitting inside the Takara's trailer.

Great fun, love the ankle articulation and, given the issue in terms of TFTM1986 designs transferring to an actual Transformer (hey, at least the first two seasons had pretty blocky robots!) I'm extremely satisfied, even with the large backpack.