View Poll Results: POTP PM Liege Maximo - worth buying?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 60.00%
  • Only if (cheap or something else)

3 30.00%
  • No

1 10.00%
  • Not even interested

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy Review - POTP PM Liege Maximo & Skullgrin

Hhhmmm... these Prime Masters are just okay as CHUG versions of the G1 Pretenders. While I agree that the shells look good and they do scale well for the Masterforce-style mass shifting (which I love doing), it also only really works if you have the inner robot. Because the Prime Master robots themselves:
    * Are puny little Headmasters - even in Masterforce the inner robots were always full sized. They only ever shrank down to human size when they were inside the shells, never outside. And in the case of Metalhawk, the colours are completely off (which is a shame as the sculpting is quite accurate to Metalhawk's robot)
    * No vehicle modes, and none of the Pretenders transform into heads. Even as Headmasters these heads don't even really look like heads.

Whenever I play with these toys I have my G1 Pretenders on standby to represent the inner robots when they come out of the shell. I basically play with the Prime Masters as shrunken down shells and the G1s as the robots. And in the case of Metalhawk where I don't own the G1 toy, I'm using my TR Metalhawk to represent the robot. I must admit that it's lots of fun, but it also only works if you have a larger version of that Pretender robot (either G1 or CHUG). It just doesn't work with the Prime Master robot itself.

I know that POTP has canonically justified this by saying that these aren't the actual Pretenders but rather they are Primes who are simply wearing Pretender decoy armour, and it's the armours that are named after their Pretender namesakes. But the end result is that these toys are more limited as proper CHUG representations of the Pretenders. And not that that's a bad thing either... the 1988 Pretenders are pretty rubbish toys to begin with. And honestly, these are just cheap $10 figures.

As for the 89 Pretenders like Octopunch, Bludgeon etc., I think that "reverse G1" play value is even more limited as these characters never appeared in Japan (indeed these G1 Pretenders are highly sought after by Japanese collectors who view them as exotic in a similar way that Western collectors might view Lio Kaiser etc. ) and never did the mass-shifting thing. Having said that, I'll probably collect them anyway. I really do love how POTP Bludgeon's weapon mode is a club. Not a gun, not a blade... a club. He'll be the first Bludgeon who'll finally live up to his name!

Ever notice how skullgrin's weapon mode is more like a hand, especially when you flip out the decoy suit's arm like a thumb?