Thread: Classics Ramjet wing broken

Default Classics Ramjet wing broken

Hey y’all, I’ve managed to break the post one of the little wings on the back of my Seeker set Ramjet and I’m fretting. I’ve tried superglue glue between the post and the wing, but it seems to give way completely when I attempt to rotate it for transformation. Is there something I can do to keep it on flush, or someone I can see to get it reattached permanently?

Please help and thanks.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    Hey y’all, I’ve managed to break the post one of the little wings on the back of my Seeker set Ramjet and I’m fretting. I’ve tried superglue glue between the post and the wing, but it seems to give way completely when I attempt to rotate it for transformation. Is there something I can do to keep it on flush, or someone I can see to get it reattached permanently?

Please help and thanks.
    There are some things you can do that *might* work better than superglue by itself, but I can't go into detail now - I'll post a longer reply as soon as I can. Fret not!

I'll check my Ramjet as well to see which piece you're talking about.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    There are some things you can do that *might* work better than superglue by itself, but I can't go into detail now - I'll post a longer reply as soon as I can. Fret not!

I'll check my Ramjet as well to see which piece you're talking about.
    It's the little stub present on all the deluxe seekers that connects to the wing joint.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

I’ve had a look at mine. I’m not sure I can be of much help.

Firstly, I’d try Loctite glue (Loctite 415, something like that). It adheres fiercely, my understanding of it is that it slightly melts the two pieces of plastic it’s sticking together to create a strong bond. Problem is you’d need the tiniest bit for that particular piece, and not sure how that would go if there’s already some glue residue there. And you get that stuff on your fingers and it can be strife. So not sure this is a good solution.

A much more tricky option is to create a new nub, maybe a pin with the end filed round and smooth, but that would involve drilling a hole in the engine part of the wing and it’s the kind of thing that’s desperately easy to screw up, and the outcome (if negative) can be irreversible. Not something to try if you’re not confident.

On my Ramjet, the friction of the pin that the wing pivots on is quite strong, so even if I cut the nubs off mine, I wouldn’t have an issue keeping it in place in both modes. If yours is loose, maybe you could solidify that joint a bit more with some (like, a tiny amount of) nail polish, dripped into the bit of the jet engine that forms the robot heel, right where the pin inserts. You drip it in and then move the joint around until it dries (a few minutes). It shouldn’t be visible unless you’re really looking for it, and will improve the friction of that pivot, so the nubs further along the wing become unnecessary.

Hope all that makes sense!

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms

(There’s a fair chance I’ve completely misunderstood the problem. If so, can you post pics of the offending piece?)

Yeah, here: https://imgur.com/gallery/cVaVh

As you can see the post is detached from the wing part, somehow. There is a litte bit of superglue residue left on the wing, but so far every time it has just snapped right off again when attempting to rotate.

I need something to attach the post to the wing, which I can then force back into the hole on Ramjet’s torso, the latter or rotating it after the latter causing the breakage again.

Hope that helps.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

This isn't a simple fix as the tolerance is pretty tight. Superglue isn't going to work as it has very poor torsional strength. If I were to attempt to fix this I would have to use both super glue and styrene plastic melted with cement. I have a jar of Tamiya extra thin cement into which I drop pieces of cut up model sprue. After a couple of hours it turns into a slurry which binds parts and fills gaps. You'll have to remove the broken post, drill holes in both wing and post to accept a pin (a bit of stiff wire will work), superglue and apply the styrene slurry mix, then somehow clamp it in place to dry. Use one of the Loctite superglues, my favourite is Powerflex.

A diagram might explain it better. Like I said it's going to be a difficult fix.

I did rather misunderstand the issue. Sorry ‘bout that!

Gamblor’s advice is far better than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    This isn't a simple fix as the tolerance is pretty tight. Superglue isn't going to work as it has very poor torsional strength. If I were to attempt to fix this I would have to use both super glue and styrene plastic melted with cement. I have a jar of Tamiya extra thin cement into which I drop pieces of cut up model sprue. After a couple of hours it turns into a slurry which binds parts and fills gaps. You'll have to remove the broken post, drill holes in both wing and post to accept a pin (a bit of stiff wire will work), superglue and apply the styrene slurry mix, then somehow clamp it in place to dry. Use one of the Loctite superglues, my favourite is Powerflex.

A diagram might explain it better. Like I said it's going to be a difficult fix.
    Thanks for the help. Do you have a list of stuff I should get and where I could possibly get them? This is a bit out of my wheelhouse.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

I'll send you a PM.