Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ToysRUs UK & US bankruptcy & closure

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e69af01ba630

Toy manufacturer plans to bid on Canada and possibly further US operations.

Toy companies are indeed the ones that need to buy this for their retail arm. Also they should stop selling at Walmart and target. Most likely if they get their own outlets I suppose.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

After I was just talking about Kaybee toys in one of my last posts in this topic, it sounds like the company that bought the name after that company collapsed in 2009, has been planning to start up a national chain of toy stores for a little while now, but has now had to accelerate their plans in response to the collapse of ToysRUs... and will try to open up their first wave of stores by this Christmas.

Kaybee in America was like Toyworld here - the prices weren't very competitive, and you could find really old stock collecting dust in there, while they were small dedicated toy stores that you could find all over the country... until ToysRUs came along and totally destroyed them (that hasn't happened to Toyworld, but a lot of stores did close down when ToysRUs first arrived).
    This version of Kaybee (or KB) is not likely to be anything like the old version, and now that they are looking to fill the void left behind by ToysRUs, we could see large sized stores, like ToysRUs... but more profitably set up.

I really hope this happens, as toy manufacturers like Hasbro would be able to sign up a new retailer for exclusives that would have otherwise gone to ToysRUs.
    In America, the Machine Wars toys were exclusive to Kaybee.... and I ended up buying a number of Beast Machines toys at Kaybee during a couple of BotCons, because they were sitting there unsold a couple years after their release.

There’s a KB Toys in Sydney apparently. It has something to do with Nicole’s Toys from EBay as I buy a lot from there and the parcels always have KBtoys.com.au taped all over it.

bowspearer Guest

Interesting article from Business Insider: https://www.businessinsider.com.au/t...18-3?r=US&IR=T

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    Interesting article from Business Insider: https://www.businessinsider.com.au/t...18-3?r=US&IR=T
    Ofcourse. Everything else is our fault so why not The closure of TRU

I can't have kids! I'm too busy eating my smashed avocado on fancy toast!
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post

That's ok, I blame millennials for the current woes of the world anyway.

Just another fluff piece that fails to address the lack of adaptation for the actual toy buying demographic by the stores.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post

And yet you can't deny it is a factor. Population growth in the Western world is at a serious low right across the board - of course that's going to affect the primary demographic of the toy market for all companies and all properties when there are less kids compared to, say, a generation ago. Why does stating a simple matter of fact like that offend you so much?

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    Just another fluff piece that fails to address the lack of adaptation for the actual toy buying demographic by the stores.
    Certainly that's a factor, but I think the article has hit this on the head. Even if you factor in the lack of adult collector focused figures in parts, unexplored avenues of nostalgia cash-cowing and the way these very chains have decided on some very non-collector friendly case assortments, you're still only talking about what last I checked, was only a maximum of 30% of your entire consumer base.

The fact is that unless you're really terrible at maximising your returns with that demographic, no matter how much you make the most of that 30%, losing kids means you've still lost 70% of that demographic.

While it might be nice to think otherwise, there's no way that adult collectors form a large enough group to carry the toy industry at its current size if it ever came down to it.

And yet you can't deny it is a factor. Population growth in the Western world is at a serious low right across the board - of course that's going to affect the primary demographic of the toy market for all companies and all properties when there are less kids compared to, say, a generation ago. Why does stating a simple matter of fact like that offend you so much?

The problem with the article, as far as I am concerned, is not the point about the decrease in birth rate hurting the industry, but rather what appears to be an attempt to attribute blame to millennials as well as women. The article starts off, not be merely point out declining birth rates, but by specifically mentioning millennials being the cause for this.

Why not go a step behind and argue that the reason millennials don't have as many kids is that we are all working our back sides off to get jobs and hopefully one day have enough of a deposit to buy a house but in the mean time pay huge rents to baby boomers. So, if baby boomers stopped being greedy and accumulating more wealth and taking up more costs through welfare, then millennials would have more time and less stress and could have more kids.

I am not saying that I agree entirely with what I have just said, I am just pointing out the bias underpinning that writer's article.

^^^ It does seem a little bit like that whole 'Why aren't millennials buying diamonds?' thing from a year or two back.

I disagree here, I solely place the blame on the baby boomers for having so many kiddies to blow the population out in the first place.

Also on a non jokey note, (yes, above was a joke before knickers get in a not), after just skimming through the first 3 or so paragraphs of the article, if TRU's sole business plan was based on population growth and they don't have a strategy if population growth declines, then they are a very stupid company.

What a trashy article