Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jin Saotome's "Transformers fan-request week"

The bottom half of Movie Primus looks like Movie Leader Optimus's.

Did anyone have a look at those final prices the items went for? Geez..

you make a good buck at customs.... i'd say at least 3-4folds

I disagree. There is a massive up front investment to have the parts and supplies you need, and that's before you even factor in labor costs.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    I disagree. There is a massive up front investment to have the parts and supplies you need, and that's before you even factor in labor costs.
    Though that is true, which I guess customisers can demand the money.

Thoughts, Stencilator?

I do like his Galvatron, but I think his previous version was much better, with the exception of his arm cannon. Jin Saotome's a great kit-basher.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintly View Post
    Though that is true, which I guess customisers can demand the money.

Thoughts, Stencilator?
    It does cost a lot to create some customs. You have to remember that a lot of customs require parts from different figures, meaning that you may have to buy 2 or 3 different figures just to make one custom. Plus if you paint the way I do, you go through a lot of paint... and quality paint aint cheap either. Even for small figures I would normally use an entire can of spray paint (about $11-12) and then a range of other colours for details. You need to stock hundreds of dollars worth of paint colours just to have a basic range and then be smart about the parts used. That's why I do a lot of resculpting heads and repaints.... saves me destroying perfectly good toys just for their heads.

To give you an idea of the cost if you wanted to create a custom from scatch... lets say Jin Saotome's Movie Prowl (look it up people)... in very round figures.

1 X BB08 = $25.00
    1 X High Score = $15.00
    1 X White Spray Paint = $10.00
    1 X Black Spray Paint = $10.00
    1 X White Paint = $3.00
    1 X Black Paint = $3.00
    1 X Blue Paint = $3.00
    1 X Red Paint = $3.00
    1 X Silver Paint = $3.00
    1 X Grey Paint = $3.00
    1 X Cheap police toy for the light bar = $3.00
    Decals = $4.00

That's $85 just for materials and I haven't allowed for the clear colours for the headlights.

A lot of the customs I have sold only really cover the cost of the figures and materials used (if that) and don't allow for the time spent creating.... 'cause I do it for the love.

All that being said, I'm sure many of you have paid great amounts of money for a rare transformer... and they don't come rarer than a hand painted custom.

Urge to buy toys... rising... rising! TERMINATED DUE TO LACK OF FUNDS

Quote Originally Posted by stencilator View Post
    It does cost a lot to create some customs. You have to remember that a lot of customs require parts from different figures, meaning that you may have to buy 2 or 3 different figures just to make one custom. Plus if you paint the way I do, you go through a lot of paint... and quality paint aint cheap either. Even for small figures I would normally use an entire can of spray paint (about $11-12) and then a range of other colours for details. You need to stock hundreds of dollars worth of paint colours just to have a basic range and then be smart about the parts used. That's why I do a lot of resculpting heads and repaints.... saves me destroying perfectly good toys just for their heads.

To give you an idea of the cost if you wanted to create a custom from scatch... lets say Jin Saotome's Movie Prowl (look it up people)... in very round figures.

1 X BB08 = $25.00
    1 X High Score = $15.00
    1 X White Spray Paint = $10.00
    1 X Black Spray Paint = $10.00
    1 X White Paint = $3.00
    1 X Black Paint = $3.00
    1 X Blue Paint = $3.00
    1 X Red Paint = $3.00
    1 X Silver Paint = $3.00
    1 X Grey Paint = $3.00
    1 X Cheap police toy for the light bar = $3.00
    Decals = $4.00

That's $85 just for materials and I haven't allowed for the clear colours for the headlights.

A lot of the customs I have sold only really cover the cost of the figures and materials used (if that) and don't allow for the time spent creating.... 'cause I do it for the love.

All that being said, I'm sure many of you have paid great amounts of money for a rare transformer... and they don't come rarer than a hand painted custom.
    wow.. that's an extensive insights, stencilator! it certainly puts in perspective why such a customs cost a pretty penny

Quote Originally Posted by Saintly View Post
    wow.. that's an extensive insights, stencilator! it certainly puts in perspective why such a customs cost a pretty penny
    I like ranting....

Urge to buy toys... rising... rising! TERMINATED DUE TO LACK OF FUNDS

wow i luv jetfire , luv it when its so G1 alike!
    Wanted items:
    eHobby Orion Pax and Dion