Page 25 of 53 FirstFirst ... 51520212223242526272829303545 ... LastLast

Thread: Heavy Metal Thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    May I suggest Machine Heads new album 'Unto the Locust'. I haven't been able to remove it from my CD player for weeks now. It's just so awesome!
    How is that compared to 'The Blackening' dude? +/-?
    (The Blackening was friggin' Awesome! )

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    How is that compared to 'The Blackening' dude? +/-?
    (The Blackening was friggin' Awesome! )
    Very similar in that most songs are 6+ minutes in length ala old-school Metallica. I love that because for me, some of the best songs should have you going through a range of emotions when listening to it... kinda like a good book or movie, rather than just playing the same riffs and cords from start to finish.

There are of course some stand-out tracks (the title track included) but what you'll find is that the album finishes very differently to the way it starts off.

Quite a few older MH fans don't like this, however I have been there since the beginning and appreciate the musical evolution.

I would give The Blackening an 8.5 out of 10; Unto the Locust would rate as a 9 using the same scale. Highly recommended.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Very similar in that most songs are 6+ minutes in length ala old-school Metallica. I love that because for me, some of the best songs should have you going through a range of emotions when listening to it... kinda like a good book or movie, rather than just playing the same riffs and cords from start to finish.

There are of course some stand-out tracks (the title track included) but what you'll find is that the album finishes very differently to the way it starts off.

Quite a few older MH fans don't like this, however I have been there since the beginning and appreciate the musical evolution.

I would give The Blackening an 8.5 out of 10; Unto the Locust would rate as a 9 using the same scale. Highly recommended.
    Excellent, I'll have to get a hold of it and give it a listen - The thing I liked about The Blackening is that it's a record you can whack on and enjoy all the way through and I too like the longer length of the songs, a very Sabbath approach also.

If 'Unto The Locust' is better than that I'll be very pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonac View Post
    Pantera, from 1990 - 1994.
    Sepultura, from 1989 to 1996.
    Devin Townsend.
    I do like Pantera, but wasn't impressed by Sepultura. I'll try out Devin Townsend.

@Skywarp: Demonac's got a pretty good list going there, I'd maybe add (With some 'Darker?' and more 'Sung' vocal examples from each ):

These are just a couple of examples of each band (Please excuse the Youtube Quality though ) and each has a number more records and songs; so I'd encourage you Skywarp, or anyone else for that matter, to just have a look around the libraries of each. One of the best things I've learnt about Metal is that there is such a huge variety of sounds out there, with many bands executing differing styles from one album to the next, which makes Exploring Metal one of the most engaging and fun aspects of the Genre.

One more group I might suggest for you is Disturbed and their albums: The Sickness (2000) and Indestructible (2008), they're my 2 favourites from this band and I recommend them to those who aren't necessarily a regular Heavy Rock/Metal fan, who's looking for a less 'stereotypical ' Metal sound.
    (It annoys me to no end those who simply write off Metal as just screaming devil worshippers, it's such a narrow view on an incredibly broad and varied genre ; to them I say go and watch this )
    Thanks for the post Hursti, I actually do have Static X, Disturbed, Rammstein and Drowning Pool albums (and a Fear Factory album too, how sick is their cover of Cars?!). Just forgot to list them in my original post

One of us, one of us I must say you have impeccable taste in music

May I suggest Machine Heads new album 'Unto the Locust'. I haven't been able to remove it from my CD player for weeks now. It's just so awesome!

Also check out Nothingface you WON'T regret it. Start with their album Violence. Trust me on this one.

I got Unto the Locust because I loved MH's 'Now I lay Thee Down' but didn't have any of their albums. Still haven't listened to the Blackening but like you I'm stuck listening to Unto the Locust because it's so damn good. All the songs I can listen to and are done with so much energy and heart, many rock albums I hear only have the 1 or 2 songs I like with 6-9 other filler songs. My fav from this album is 'This is the End'.

I also checked out Nothingface, Ether's probably my fav song on their album Skeletons but I actually enjoyed the Violence album because of the heavier riffs, though their vocals aren't as strong as Machine Head. Still gotta listen to more metal folks, once I get tired (don't know if I ever will) or Unto the Locust!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarp91 View Post
    Hey metalheads, recently I've been trying to find some new metal to listen to but can't find many bands that suit my tastes. I'm a fan of metal with vocals that aren't so screamo/hardcore, more gravelly and masculine vocals like 5FDP, Metallica etc. and they can sing songs with the emotional/dramatic kick to them, ala 'Now I lay thee Down' by Machine Head, 'Never Enough' by 5FDP.

Bands I currently know are mainly 5FDP, Machine Head, Tool, Revis, Metallica, 3 DAys Grace (yes I know their new songs suck!), Mudvayne.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

- Skywarp
    I would suggest trying Dream Theatre's Train of thought. Aural ecstasy simply put.

I have been listening to a fair bit of John 5 lately. A virtuoso on a stringed instrument & has played with everyone & anyone from Marilyn Manson to KD Lang.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarp91 View Post
    Thanks for the post Hursti, I actually do have Static X, Disturbed, Rammstein and Drowning Pool albums (and a Fear Factory album too, how sick is their cover of Cars?!). Just forgot to list them in my original post
    Like 5FDP, your taste in music impresses and pleases me greatly; with regards to Fear Factory's cover of Cars? - F@#$ Yeah Son!

Quote Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
    I would suggest trying Dream Theatre's Train of thought. Aural ecstasy simply put.
    I'm not too privy to anything from Dream Theatre, but I know that this one from Dream Evil is incredibly epic and Metal to the core!

Quote Originally Posted by Prowl View Post
    I have been listening to a fair bit of John 5 lately. A virtuoso on a stringed instrument & has played with everyone & anyone from Marilyn Manson to KD Lang.
    The blokes been around the block huh? - I love his work with Rob Zombie in Sick Bubblegum.

Dream Evil is awesome! And hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    Dream Evil is awesome! And hilarious.
    True that. The humor in that song, quite funny.

They have had some great albums, but I must admit I haven't bought any after United Their albums with Snowy are my favs, that guy is just too damn talented. I really gotta grab his live dvd when I see it, Live Showreel In The Wunderwurld, where he plays music from all the bands he has been in.

Love all his stuff when he was in Notre Dame, you guys should def check them out.

Like 5FDP, your taste in music impresses and pleases me greatly; with regards to Fear Factory's cover of Cars? - F@#$ Yeah Son!
    Why thank you good sir!