Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819202535 ... LastLast

Thread: Masterpiece Convoy 3.0 Revealed

I’m guessing the $400 price estimate being thrown around is based on what Megatron cost, plus accessories like the trailer.

For that amount I’d want to see a considerable amount of paintwork; all the fantastic engineering would be wasted if the figure looks like cheap plastic. I continue to be impressed with every new image and really look forward to the final product.

If lights and sounds can be cut from the MP figures, I'd welcome it. Anything reasonable that can bring some costs down to the line at this point would be great.

The sound feature is meaningless to me on the MP releases since they use the Japanese voice actors. If they could make a version of Optimus 3.0 with Peter Cullen then I'd actually be hyped for that feature.

Galvatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    :/ It depends on what the die-cast is used for, but die-cast would obviously increase the cost of the toy and MPs are expensive enough as they are. The funny thing is that the reason why early G1 toys had die-cast parts was because it was cheaper than plastic. Then in 1986 they switched to plastic as it had become cheaper than die-cast metal.
    *snip*
    ^ DELTAprime already mentioned that ... only a few posts before yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Ah yes, the die cast argument.

Die cast wasn't used in G1 because it was a "better" material. It was used because it was cheaper than plastic. How economics have changed.

Who knows what it will cost, I'm going to wait for official confirmation. But I think it's going to be less than $400. A few reasons for this, firstly it's their highest volume selling character notwithstanding its prior versions. Second, it has ongoing repaint potential. For these reasons I don't think it is comparable to BW Dinobot and BW Megatron.

What kills us though is the weak $A against the ¥ and US$. Anything in ¥ is now costing 15-20% more than it did a couple years ago with the earlier MPs. And that is before the new GST (unless you order from somewhere that is not charging it).

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatran View Post
    ^ DELTAprime already mentioned that ... only a few posts before yours.
    He's been on my block list so I can't see anything that he posts.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    The sound feature is meaningless to me on the MP releases since they use the Japanese voice actors. If they could make a version of Optimus 3.0 with Peter Cullen then I'd actually be hyped for that feature.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    Who knows what it will cost, I'm going to wait for official confirmation. But I think it's going to be less than $400. A few reasons for this, firstly it's their highest volume selling character notwithstanding its prior versions. Second, it has ongoing repaint potential. For these reasons I don't think it is comparable to BW Dinobot and BW Megatron.

What kills us though is the weak $A against the ¥ and US$. Anything in ¥ is now costing 15-20% more than it did a couple years ago with the earlier MPs. And that is before the new GST (unless you order from somewhere that is not charging it).
    Yep. All we have at this stage is a lot of angry speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Bemblebuu View Post
    One major issue for me with Masterpiece figures: KO versions are cheaper and sometimes better. Hasbro/ Takara need to go 'all out' on their top of the line figures; whether it be paint, die-cast, or whatever.

Justify the price with quality, not just because your fans will eat up anything you put out.
    Comparing the cost of an official figure to a KO conveniently leaves out the literal hundreds of man hours that go into the design and development of a figure. Those guys don’t work for free.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Comparing the cost of an official figure to a KO conveniently leaves out the literal hundreds of man hours that go into the design and development of a figure. Those guys don’t work for free.
    The point was that KO's sometimes are better quality figures.

Justify high prices with the end product. Saying that high prices are justified because you have to consider how much time went into development and design, holds no weight if the end product is a shiny turd.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

In simple terms if you ask me to pay $400 for a figure and you give a $100 quality figure I feel let down because thats where KO does it as good easily because they can equal the quality.

You paid so much for Engineering and design, why not add the bit extra effort to ensure we get at least a >$250 quality figure? I am someone who is willing to pay for quality not just because he is Optimus.

For me if it is at least Sun Streaker's finish, I am okay. The so call my wish of Diecast , rubber tyres , etc are actually a wishful thinking, and I know is basically out of the question.

The last thing you want is a KO that outshines your product. Thats where I am at.

Quote Originally Posted by Bemblebuu View Post
    The point was that KO's sometimes are better quality figures.

Justify high prices with the end product. Saying that high prices are justified because you have to consider how much time went into development and design, holds no weight if the end product is a shiny turd.
    Do the ends justify the means? How do you morally justify counterfeits made by thieves?