Page 414 of 1041 FirstFirst ... 394404409410411412413414415416417418419424434 ... LastLast
Results 4,131 to 4,140 of 10406

Thread: Transformers questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

Quote Originally Posted by jena View Post
    I'm new to the TF comics/graphic novels, other than the few I read as a kid (and I have no idea which they were as they belonged to a friend). I've read Last Stand of the Wreckers and I'm just wondering where to go from here? What is the best series to read first and where can I buy copies from? I bought the Bumblebee one Target have because it was only $7.88 but I'm assuming I need some backstory? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Same query here...I do random readings and enjoy whatever I've read so far (Last Stand of the Wreckers, all the Spotlight, some of the UK collections, some of original Marvel) but they are all bits and pieces everywhere not necessarily linked (and sometimes even conflict) with each other.

I'm considering following the ongoing issues now but wondering if there's any series preceding this that need to be picked up as background reference? (e.g Armada or others, what's their connection with the ongoing?)

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    A lot of people will recommend the original G1 Marvel series, as they are very much a bible of sorts to G1 but also because the writing is incredibly good.
    You'd be in luck with these, as IDW has announced that they will be reprinting the entire G1 run - I just don't know when these will be available for purchase.

I'm currently reading through them myself, up to the 3rd out of 4 Headmaster Comics, and I can vouch for their awesomeness but I chose a slightly expensive route with these as I've been collecting the Titan Books G1 Marvel Reprints (Hardcover), as up until now they were the best reprints you could get - Short of getting the original comics themselves.

I hope this gives you an idea at least Jena.
    IDW's reprint of orginal G1 Volume 1 (complete issue #1-13 including issue #3) is already on market (at least I've already got a copy from my local comic store).

I've got no idea when Vol.2 is out though, Amazon pre-order says it's January 2012. However I wouldn't rely much on that as it also says Vol.1 is out September 2011 but I've got mine two weeks ago.

Jena, I would also recommend Drift. It's a standalone story, you don't need much background knowledge (you don't even need to know Optimus Prime to read this one; but seems like you do need to know who is Megatron) but it's a very good storyline with outstanding artwork.

I read the comic and it made me break an extra $40 on his Takara toy. But I reckon both are a good buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcee View Post
    IDW's reprint of orginal G1 Volume 1 (complete issue #1-13 including issue #3) is already on market (at least I've already got a copy from my local comic store).

I've got no idea when Vol.2 is out though, Amazon pre-order says it's January 2012. However I wouldn't rely much on that as it also says Vol.1 is out September 2011 but I've got mine two weeks ago.
    Cheers for the clarification Arcee on the dates of the new reprints, I wasn't aware that the first volume was already out!
    With that being said; How would you rate it?, how many issues are contained within each volume and does it contain any bonus material of sorts?

I ask out of curiosity but I've no intention of getting them, as I'm already way too far down the rabbit hole with the Titan ones, I'm only 1 book away from having the entire US run in Hardback!
    (A pity the UK run was only ever done in paperback format with Titan )

Thanks guys. Arcee, do you have amazon links? Or pictures of the covers so I know what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by jena View Post
    I'm new to the TF comics/graphic novels, other than the few I read as a kid (and I have no idea which they were as they belonged to a friend). I've read Last Stand of the Wreckers and I'm just wondering where to go from here? What is the best series to read first and where can I buy copies from? I bought the Bumblebee one Target have because it was only $7.88 but I'm assuming I need some backstory? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    A lot of people will recommend the original G1 Marvel series, as they are very much a bible of sorts to G1 but also because the writing is incredibly good.
    You'd be in luck with these, as IDW has announced that they will be reprinting the entire G1 run - I just don't know when these will be available for purchase.

I'm currently reading through them myself, up to the 3rd out of 4 Headmaster Comics, and I can vouch for their awesomeness but I chose a slightly expensive route with these as I've been collecting the Titan Books G1 Marvel Reprints (Hardcover), as up until now they were the best reprints you could get - Short of getting the original comics themselves.

I hope this gives you an idea at least Jena.
    I agree with Hursticon. Although I have to say that the mythos is getting so big now that you are better off reading particular story acrs that you like and then try to piece it together in your mind.

Don't try to find cohesion or a definite chronology, because to be honest, there is very little of that even during the G1 years.

Also, most of Marvel G1 (USA) is very geared toward marketing the toys and so its not the type of TF story that you'd be familiar with or see from IDW now (not that they are not good stories).

That's why I think its very difficult or even daunting to say, start from US Marvel, then UK Marvel, then Dreamwave, etc... chances are you'd lose steam partway through US Marvel (unless you have Hursti's tenacity!).

For me, I read all these when I was a kid, so its very dear to me. Not sure what a person who's never seen these before will think...

Quote Originally Posted by Arcee View Post
    Same query here...I do random readings and enjoy whatever I've read so far (Last Stand of the Wreckers, all the Spotlight, some of the UK collections, some of original Marvel) but they are all bits and pieces everywhere not necessarily linked (and sometimes even conflict) with each other.

I'm considering following the ongoing issues now but wondering if there's any series preceding this that need to be picked up as background reference? (e.g Armada or others, what's their connection with the ongoing?)
    Like I said above, better to go for the story arcs you like and then try to piece it together in your head.

It's just too daunting (and perhaps not everyone's cup of tea) to read 300+ issues just to even get to Dreamwave.

Oh, ongoing is pretty pathetic (to me), so don't expect it to give you any sort of background (they are more like shaping their own continuity than anything).

Cheers for the clarification Arcee on the dates of the new reprints, I wasn't aware that the first volume was already out!
    With that being said; How would you rate it?, how many issues are contained within each volume and does it contain any bonus material of sorts?

I ask out of curiosity but I've no intention of getting them, as I'm already way too far down the rabbit hole with the Titan ones, I'm only 1 book away from having the entire US run in Hardback!
    (A pity the UK run was only ever done in paperback format with Titan )
    Here is the link to the reprint Vol.1 and Vol.2 on Amazon.

I haven't read it yet (I'm watching the G1 cartoon atm and thought I should always read the "script" after watching it on screen). Flipped through a few pages though. It's a thick paperback, I'd say quite good quality. The paper is not the same as The Last Stand of the Wreckers where you get the really smooth and reflective paper (don't know the terminology for it) but it's nonetheless quite solid. Art style and letters look quite different to current comics but I'm guessing that's just the classic way it is.

Altogether 13 issues in Vol.1, no extra whatsoever unfortunately...I don't know how many will be in the 2nd volume. Looks like there will be about 6 volumes to cover the entire Marvel G1.

Apparently IDW has reprinted a set of 6 volumes for the Marvel G1 before but due to copyright over the Spiderman and others a few issues were left out (#3, 9, 14? can't remember) But the new reprint this time has complete #3 in it, so I'm assuming the issue's resolved with Marvel.

This thread might help you out a bit too with picking some comics to read.

In addition to the reprinting of the US comics, IDW is also reprinting all the UK comics, but the better UK stories (in terms of art and plot) will appear from Vol 2 onwards.

Or you could wait until the Chaos story starts and the two new ongoing series start after issue "#125", but there's little detail about those two books. I think one is going to be set in the early days of the war, but there's no confirmation yet.

Has anybody seen or knows where to find a 2010 Takara Unicron for under $200 shipped? I hate people who buy exclusive figures and they keep then for a year then sell them for double. Please let me know if you guys see or come across it. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by blackoptimus View Post
    Has anybody seen or knows where to find a 2010 Takara Unicron for under $200 shipped? I hate people who buy exclusive figures and they keep then for a year then sell them for double. Please let me know if you guys see or come across it. Cheers.
    Heh, I had no idea they're risen so much... I grabbed a case of them at the start of the year for a little more than that :/ (I'd hook you up with the other one, but it is a present)