Thread: New Memeber! G1 Optimus Prime Questions

Default New Memeber! G1 Optimus Prime Questions

Hey Everyone,

I am new to the forums and collecting transformers. I recently bought a box of mainly G1 Transformers with 3 x G1 Optimus Primes in there. I am using these as a starting project to fix up and if I get these complete I will try and move to others I have. I don't really know the different versions but 2 are made by Takara and 1 is made by Hasbro. The Hasbro one has a lighter color trailer and the blue on the outside is a lighter color as well. I am needing a lot of the little parts for all of them (Trailer Doors, Rollers, Fists, Fuel pump, Nozel, Hoses and the OP Laser Blaster. I also need 1 front grill as the corner has snapped off one of them). What I can tell from the little research I have done on them, is these are all non bloated version. So with all this I had some questions, Any help would be greatly appreciated

- I know there are 3 roller colors, How do I find out which one goes with the models I have?
    - How hard will it be to find the parts I am needing? Preferably genuine
    - Where is the best place to find parts? and roughly what I should be paying for them>
    - What is a complete Optimus Prime Worth out of the box?
    - All 3 trucks were mixed together in the box and separated from the trailers. Is there a difference in the Takara vs Hasbro Optimus Primes trucks? I can't seem to find a manufacturer stamp on the trucks

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a bit iof a newbie with this sort of stuff.

Thanks Guys,

Andy

Welcome aboard the board.

I've never been one to part build transformers as there are often one or two parts that are very hard to source from anywhere.

Here is a Page that Griffin has put together, it's extremely comprehensive and should help answer a lot of your questions.

I would hazard a guess that a complete G1 optimus prime in good condition might be worth up to $150 or so, as long as it's got good paint and isn't a mismatch of parts from different releases of the toy. of course a brand new reissue will be cheaper.

Based on the little Googling I've done this arvo, I'd expect the manufacturing stamp to be on the trailer only and not on the bot so you're going to have to identify the robots from other features.

there are some companies that sell parts (transformerland) but otherwise eBay and garage sales and collector fairs are your best bet. you are going to struggle to find hoses and the petrol gun for the end of the hose.

I would also suggest that the number of cabs you'll buy completing the 3 you have might be a lot if they need much work.

there are lots of variants, the pre-transformers release, the pre-rub sign release and rub sign release, Hasbro and takara releases just to name a few and even then some have more subtle changes in plastic colour or mold details.

Whatever you plan to do with the three of them I wish you the best of luck.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

All the answers you seek are at this site http://fredsworkshop.com/ This is the ultimate variant guide. Sooo much reading and info there.

Welcome to the forum
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Greetings and Welcome to OZformers!
    Glad you've decided to join us.

Any pics of your collection? - Whack 'em here if you haven't already (Or when you can) as we LOVE to see the collections of others, large or small!

Welcome fellow cybertronian.

the torture of others sparks is music to my sensors!!!

Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]