Page 102 of 154 FirstFirst ... 8292979899100101102103104105106107112122 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1535

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

Megatran Guest

Man on Fire.

Just seen it. Brilliant.

Just finished watching Hacksaw Ridge and like Saving Private Ryan, it's a WW2 movie that falls into the category of "You haven't seen anything like it!"

P.S. I wish it won more than two Oscars.

Megatran Guest

Even after 40 years since it first screened, I still enjoy watching reruns of Jaws the movie.

Not so Transformers live action movies .

Logan is absolutely brilliant
    This is the Wolverine movie I have been waiting for !!!!

Won't go into any spoilers but the trailer does it no justice
    Dapto Dog for 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream77 View Post
    Logan is absolutely brilliant
    This is the Wolverine movie I have been waiting for !!!!

Won't go into any spoilers but the trailer does it no justice
    Very true. Logan is the bleakest Marvel movie I've ever seen and is more bleak than anything DC has offered so far. As for the violence? There's a reason why Logan got an R-rating in the U.S. Only Deadpool can rival it in that department.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Even after 40 years since it first screened, I still enjoy watching reruns of Jaws the movie.

Not so Transformers live action movies .
    I agree!!! I hate the Michael Bay movies...

Quote Originally Posted by shockNwave View Post
    Very true. Logan is the bleakest Marvel movie I've ever seen and is more bleak than anything DC has offered so far. As for the violence? There's a reason why Logan got an R-rating in the U.S. Only Deadpool can rival it in that department.
    I think it was far gorier than deadpool and we were brought far closer to the action than in deadpool. The minimal use of cgi and green screen was obvious as all the stunts had that impact and real feel to it.

Hugh Jackman shoes off his acting chops both emotionally and physically and you truly feel the pain and age he and Patrick Stewart are showing.

It's a movie without hope and I remained spoiler free so it really got me as it was even more emotionally draining than I anticipated. It certainly isn't in the same frame as guardians of the galaxy in mood or feeling but I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend it to anyone who won't be put off by multiple stab wounds.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I haven't seen Logan yet (please don't spoil it for me), but I wonder if the extreme darkness angle may be a move from Fox to help make the movie stand out more from their main competitors at Marvel Studios and DC. Marvel's success comes from making their movies just generally fun and bright (without being camp). DC's formula is to go dark and gritty - it worked with Batman and they've decided to apply the formula to Superman too. Their last attempt at making a 'fun and bright' movie was Green Lantern which bombed spectacularly for them, which is possibly why Cavill's Superman is the darkest version of the character that we've seen on screen so far. Batfleck is also arguably the darkest version of that character too - surprising many fans with his use of guns (although we never explicitly see him shoot people, the shooting of people is implied -- he'd be likely to shoot a few people after blowing up that many vehicles and buildings).

The other way to look at it is how films are a reflection of society and may be a product of their time. Take Batman for example. The 1960s Batman series is notoriously camp, but then again, so were many shows of that time - Happy Days, The Brady Bunch, Partridge Family etc. American society was enjoying heightened prosperity following WWII. These idealistic shows became a form of exaggerated escapism for audiences. But by the time that Burton's Batman came along in 1989, the political climate had changed. America had become bleak and weary from the Cold War and global terrorism, and this is reflected in the much darker tones of Michael Keaton's Batman. The post-Cold War mid-90s saw another era of comfortable prosperity for the US which then saw the Batman films revert back towards being more camp with Val Kilmer and especially George Clooney's Batman movies. Christian Bale's Batman movies occurred in a post September-11 America and are a direct metaphor for the political landscape of the time where the villains literally used fear as a weapon, making the very people themselves their own worst enemies. Affleck's Batman represents the current socio-political climate where he is just so weary and tired of fighting terror that he is willing to compromise his moral standards (e.g. using guns) in order to win his war on terror (crime). But Batman is very much driven by fears that are rooted in ignorance and paranoia, such as his determination to kill Superman.
    (Reference: Modern American History as taught by Batman movies)

Logan was always a rather dark and gritty character, but with the level of dark and grittiness that Batman has become, perhaps Fox felt that it was essential for Logan to go that extra kilometre to become additionally darker, bleaker and more violent in order to stand out from DC's cinematic product. Especially if Batman is looking to become not as dark as he assembles the Justice League. At the end of Dawn of Justice Batman has overcome his ignorance-based fears when he learns that Superman is actually a good guy and they become allies. So without that factor to drive that level of darkness in Batman, he may swing back more towards being a not-so-dark character. Perhaps becoming more like Bale's Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by VodooCaMo View Post
    I agree!!! I hate the Michael Bay movies...
    I liked the first Bad Boys and I enjoy his first Transformers movie, but not others. I dislike most of his movies.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 12th March 2017 at 01:36 PM.

I think you are overthinking it Gok. While the director had stated they were glad to get the r rating in the USA as t better suited the character, the stories that the movie is based off were all bleak and set in a future where Wolverine was. Ore or less alone.

I doubt this movie occurs in the dawn of futures past and it cannot happen in the original timeline either so it's in some unknown timeline. Who cares it's an awesome tale so why get bogged down in the convoluted mess that is the movie continuity? It's not like you can neatly make it fit into
    Anything that has come before, so why waste your time.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I don't mind bleak, dark and gritty super hero movies if that actually suits the character, which it would for Wolverine. I'm just not a fan when they make characters who should be bright and vibrant into dark and moody characters instead. I'm looking at you, Zack Snyder's Superman.