Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultra Magnus Cab Restore

Quote Originally Posted by 16364279 View Post
    ...so skull white paint + super chrome automotive paint is the best stuff for him ?
    Tamiya fine white primer is a really good though you'll also need gloss white on top.

Pulling a prime cab apart is't a hard task, it's really quite easy, all chrome parts come out when you take all the screws out and split the plastic. They are all on little pegs. When you take him apart, you can even tighten up some of, if any loose joints by realigning them.

This is the first Prime I have re done.

It wasn't completed then, but it is now, you can get an idea from that though

TheDirtyDigger Guest

in regards to the chrome parts, because i will be spray painting them will it be okay to spray the whole part even though the paint isnt fully chipped?
    That's fine. The chrome isn't really chipped like the white paint but worn so spray will still go over smooth.

what would be the best way to clean the trailor apart from baby wipes to bring out some of the colour ?
    Wait until you've given the trailer a thorough clean with baby wipes first. If it is truly discoloured then nothing will bring it back to an original or near original colour except a good bath of hydrogen peroxide and some sunny sunshine. Now the trailer is a big thing. You'd want to dismantle it as much as humanly possible without breaking it, unless you want to spend a fortune on H2O2.

The trailer parts are way too large too for a H2O2 bath so he would need to spend a fortune on it anyway and also a good large glass container that can fit the part in and be sealed.

Since the gray on Prime's trailer is pretty generic, it may be worth painting over but be prepared for a less than out of the box look even if he ends up looking kinda good due to the glossy paint.

ill go the baby wipes on the trailor first, i was also thinking about using a tiny bit of Gif to get the hand marks out.

In regards to the the cab i bought the skull white today and the automotive chromer. When taking off the smoke stacks and the radiator grill do i just clip them out or will they break ?

seeing kups fort maximus motivated me to try with my magnus but seeing turtle boys prime has made me reconsider perhaps because it was still unfinished at that stage.

should the skull white only be used for the metal parts where the paint chips are ?

TheDirtyDigger Guest

should the skull white only be used for the metal parts where the paint chips are ?
    Yes. Don't use it on the white plastic or the factory paint.

In regards to the the cab i bought the skull white today and the automotive chromer. When taking off the smoke stacks and the radiator grill do i just clip them out or will they break ?
    The smokestacks dont just clip on, it has a tab that secures it in place so youd have to disassemble the upper arms at the back, be careful when you do so as there are small metal bits inside that's easy to loose make sure your in a clutter free area when doing this so even if it does pop out accidentally you'd easily see where it is. The front grill is a pain to remove coz it is screwed at the back. So unless you can figure it out and have enough patience well be my guest. It would be easier for you to just put masking tape on it to spare it from getting smeared with the paint. then doing the reverse when your chrome painting it.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

okay ive touched up the white paint chips on the metal with the skull white paint also ive touched up on the chrome bits that obviously needed a touch up and ive put magnus back together. I still need to give him another good clean up aswell as get stickers and missing accessories.

All in all it was a good learning experience never realised how many mechanisms made up his inner arms and how many screws he had.

okay ive touched up the white paint chips on the metal with the skull white paint also ive touched up on the chrome bits that obviously needed a touch up and ive put magnus back together. I still need to give him another good clean up aswell as get stickers and missing accessories.

All in all it was a good learning experience never realised how many mechanisms made up his inner arms and how many screws he had.
    Congratulations, he is looking pretty good. The reprolabels will certainly finish the job very nicely.

here is the completed version (apart from his gun missing) for this thread