Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IDW Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    You could probably skip the Drift, Bumblebee, Ironhide, and Hearts of Darkness limited series. Ironhide's a good bridge between AHM and events later in the Costa series, but the others are pretty much unessential but have some selling points. (Except Hearts of Darkness. That's pretty much a mess.)
    The Drift ongoing was trying to be something a little different, and it currently ties in rather well with the events of the second main arc of RiD, so it might be worth a read if you can borrow it or get it very cheap.

Ironhide mini was.... an interesting choice, but does exactly what Paulbot suggested. The events are ridiculous but did enable Bob to enter the IDW Mythos!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

As of Yesterday I am completely up to date with the IDW ongoing universe comics. Except the Bumblebee 4-parter, I quit that after the first issue.

The whole experience was SO good! An epic tale. So many back stories, characters I now care about that I had only vague ideas of from the G1 toon (Thundercracker, for instance, has taken on a much more significant identity now).

I definitely enjoyed the later half of the set more (All hail Megatron, Wreckers, Ongoing 1-31). And it's given a completely new perspective to everything that's happened in RID and MTMTE. I'll be reading those two sets again with my new background knowledge.

And now... and now... no more comics! Weeks and weeks of exciting Transformers story telling and now I have to wait for monthly releases?! *rocks back and forth in the corner*

Quote Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
    The whole experience was SO good! An epic tale. So many back stories, characters I now care about that I had only vague ideas of from the G1 toon (Thundercracker, for instance, has taken on a much more significant identity now).
    See... that's the way Thundercracker SHOULD have always been portrayed. Thundercracker has always been one of the more interesting Decepticon characters if you read his original toy tech specs bio - as someone who is not fully convinced by the Decepticon cause, but fights for the Decepticons only because he finds the Autobot cause even more unconvincing (kinda like when you vote for one political party not because you agree with them, but because you disagree with the other party more!). And yet for decades the potential in this character was disregarded by G1 writers - cartoon, comics, books... everything. He was basically always portrayed as just another "grunt" when really he had arguably the most interesting persona of the original 3 Seekers. It almost became a running joke that the one Decepticon Seeker with the greatest character potential was also constantly underused and undervalued by writers.

I made this skit back in 2004...

And Thundercracker's been gipped by HasTak too!
    + Armada = Thundercracker's just a repaint of Starscream whereas Skywarp's a retool. Oh, and apparently Thundercracker's not even Thundercracker -- he's a powered up version of Starscream! That's right...
    + Classics = Starscream & Skywarp were released as regular retail, Thundercracker was not. He first came out as BotCon exclusive, then a Gentei... then finally as a Generations toy, some 5 years after Starscream and Skywarp hit retail!
    + Robot Masters = Starscream was the only one released in retail. Skywarp and Thundercracker were eHobby exclusives (at leazt Thundercracker haz company )
    + Masterpiece = last of the MP03 mould Seekers to come out, was also more expensive than Starscream and Skywarp and some (not all) MP Thundercracker toys were misassembled.

And IMHO Thundercracker was the nicest of the original Seeker toys. Look at the metallic blue on Thundercracker. It's just beautiful -- Starscream and Skywarp both have flat colours (which are nice in their own way). Sadly the metallic plastic effect is much less pronounced on the Encore reissue, but it looks beautiful on the original toy IMO. I reckon Thundercracker's a much nicer toy and character than some people give him credit for.

And now... and now... no more comics! Weeks and weeks of exciting Transformers story telling and now I have to wait for monthly releases?! *rocks back and forth in the corner*
    Maybe you can go hunt down the old Marvel Comics (much of which has been reprinted in TPBs), get up to speed then start collecting Re-Generations. The IDWverse isn't over either, it's still continuing with the current More Than Meets The Eye and Robots In Disguise series -- so there's still plenty more out there. Oh, and there's also the Dreamwave comics, which kinda starts off not that good, and Pat Lee's art is... umm... yeah... but it gets gooderer after the first series. The DW comics actually got canned just as they were getting good, which was a shame IMO. And there's various other comics like Devils Due and if you can read Japanese, there's a plethora of manga you can access too. The G1 manga isn't that exciting (it's written to a very young audience -- although some characters make their sole canonical appearances in the manga, e.g. Stepper, Artfire -- and during the 1980s guys like the Omnibots & Hubcap only ever appeared in the manga -- they never appeared in the comics or cartoons), the Henkei! Henkei! manga is okay, and I quite enjoyed Stargate Battles.

Otherwise... feel free to "relive" the comic adventures with your toys!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Maybe you can go hunt down the old Marvel Comics (much of which has been reprinted in TPBs), get up to speed then start collecting Re-Generations. The IDWverse isn't over either, it's still continuing with the current More Than Meets The Eye and Robots In Disguise series -- so there's still plenty more out there. Oh, and there's also the Dreamwave comics, which kinda starts off not that good, and Pat Lee's art is... umm... yeah... but it gets gooderer after the first series. The DW comics actually got canned just as they were getting good, which was a shame IMO. And there's various other comics like Devils Due and if you can read Japanese, there's a plethora of manga you can access too. The G1 manga isn't that exciting (it's written to a very young audience -- although some characters make their sole canonical appearances in the manga, e.g. Stepper, Artfire -- and during the 1980s guys like the Omnibots & Hubcap only ever appeared in the manga -- they never appeared in the comics or cartoons), the Henkei! Henkei! manga is okay, and I quite enjoyed Stargate Battles.

Otherwise... feel free to "relive" the comic adventures with your toys!
    Lol, yeah, I'll probably replay a few of those scenes with my figures when my boyfriend isn't home to roll his eyes at it :P.

I was thinking I'll go through the Dreamwave stories. Regeneration one doesn't really interest me; the style actually kind of freaks me out... The bots with organic looking faces and proportions look like humans wearing car parts. It just doesn't jel with me. I'll take another look in a few issues to see if they take it in a different direction. After all it is, what, 20 years later?

I don't necessarily want him to come back right now, but I'll be interested to see what happens to Thundercracker when he reappears. Hopefully they continue with his current development.

I've had this feeling when catching up on TV shows on DVD. Great to watch a whole heap of seasons but then when you've caught up you've got the wait.

With two new (same continuity) TF comics a month the wait between issues isn't too bad these days.

Lol, yeah, I'll probably replay a few of those scenes with my figures when my boyfriend isn't home to roll his eyes at it :P
    Ppffftt... my wife quickly got used to the sight of me lying on the floor doing the voices and sound effects. Of course, I always carry a Transformer toy with me to play with whenever we go out too, so she's used to seeing me do the same thing in public.

I was thinking I'll go through the Dreamwave stories. Regeneration one doesn't really interest me; the style actually kind of freaks me out... The bots with organic looking faces and proportions look like humans wearing car parts. It just doesn't jel with me. I'll take another look in a few issues to see if they take it in a different direction. After all it is, what, 20 years later?
    But that's the whole point of it. Wildman drew Transformers in that organic style during the 1980s/90s, so it carries a kind of nostalgia. Having said that, Wildman's style has changed -- it's more mechanical and less organic than it used to be during G1. And Baskerville's inking isn't "saturated" anymore. I like how Wildman's going back toward his old school way of drawing Transformers. I also love the "retro covers" by Guido Guidi.

I don't necessarily want him to come back right now, but I'll be interested to see what happens to Thundercracker when he reappears. Hopefully they continue with his current development.
    I think there's an opportunity to bring him back in Robots In Disguise... after all, we've already seen Starscream and Skywarp. <shrug> Or maybe introduce him in More Than Meets The Eye as another misfit Decepticon. After all, with the war officially over, what reason does Thundercracker have to remain with the Decepticons? He'd be likely to ditch his allegiance and just become factionless.

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime;

But that's the whole point of it. Wildman drew Transformers in that organic style during the 1980s/90s, so it carries a kind of nostalgia.
    Nostalgia: trying to explain that warm huggy feeling to someone who hasn't got those memories. Often referred to as: the explanation of the unexplainable.

80's - appalling fashion. Otherwise pretty neat as a kid.

Wow, I can see why the Dreamwave comic series went under. That stuff is craaaaaap. :-/

So no TF comics this week... Guess MtMtE #8 is next weeks release, with the special out the week after... I hope.

I NEED MY TF COMIC FIX DAG NAMMIT!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Wow, I can see why the Dreamwave comic series went under. That stuff is craaaaaap. :-/
    I'm curious what you read though to come to this conclusion.

I personally really liked the ongoing series and was disappointed it ended, but it took 6 awful issues (but some people like that series), and another 6 okay issues, to get to the ongoing's starting point.