Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Hardware and building thread

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    I'll ask a friend of mine for you. He's a professional PC hardware reviewer that looks at a ton of laptops.

What are her requirements? ie: does she just need web browsing and email? All day battery life or will she be plugged in? Does she run anything that would need a discrete GPU like CAD? How about something that requires a lot of memory like Photoshop or video editing?
    Mainly just web stuff and email, word processing and the like. Dedicated GPU would be nice for if I play with it but not necessary. Will spend most of its life plugged either in home or at work, so battery not super important. And as always, the more memory the better

Thanks dude.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Got a little guidance for you on your wife's laptop.

The 15' Dell Inspiron 3000 with the 8th Gen i7 has great internals and is only $1038 at the moment. Grant it the keyboard and construction isn't the best in the world but not everyone wants to spend the money on that. However, keep in mind Dell's support is not the most amazing, but it's still better than HP's which I have found to be non-existent for my HP laptop I bought a couple of years ago and is still under warranty.

The silver version of the Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 is a great option if you are concerned about build quality and that sort of thing, though it's only a 13". It sells for $1275 through Microsoft's website. I believe Harvey Norman has them in stock and on display if you wanted to try a demo unit. Of course, if you live close to the Microsoft Store in Sydney you can try it there. Also, Microsoft Hello is a great feature to have that will hopefully come to the desktop next year.

Asus makes good consumer (non-gamer) laptops also but I hate to recommend them unless you are happy to go without support. Asus's support will blame everything but their own products in the event you have an issue.

The RTX 2060 is almost here. As with previous RTX cards, the price vs the last gen has jumped ($350 vs $200 for the GTX 1060). What a joke Nvidia's prices are, and this is USD, once Australia Tax is added it will be very expensive.

There's also some RTX notebook GPUs coming, can't wait to see the price on those.

Sounds like there's something monitor related also, not sure as I'm not sitting through another Jensen Huang keynote. He makes Nvidia keynotes so cringy.

Woohoo, new AMD video card coming, the Radeon VII. Matches the RTX 2080 in performance which is good. Also has the same MSRP as the RTX 2080, booo!

https://www.techspot.com/news/78196-...aming-gpu.html

Also of note, Ryzen 3000 is coming mid 2019. 8C 16T and at this early, non-final stage it matches the Intel 9900K running at stock clocks.

Oooh might be time for a new build once all thats out

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Got a little guidance for you on your wife's laptop.

The 15' Dell Inspiron 3000 with the 8th Gen i7 has great internals and is only $1038 at the moment. Grant it the keyboard and construction isn't the best in the world but not everyone wants to spend the money on that. However, keep in mind Dell's support is not the most amazing, but it's still better than HP's which I have found to be non-existent for my HP laptop I bought a couple of years ago and is still under warranty.

The silver version of the Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 is a great option if you are concerned about build quality and that sort of thing, though it's only a 13". It sells for $1275 through Microsoft's website. I believe Harvey Norman has them in stock and on display if you wanted to try a demo unit. Of course, if you live close to the Microsoft Store in Sydney you can try it there. Also, Microsoft Hello is a great feature to have that will hopefully come to the desktop next year.

Asus makes good consumer (non-gamer) laptops also but I hate to recommend them unless you are happy to go without support. Asus's support will blame everything but their own products in the event you have an issue.
    Thanks. Ended up going with a Dell. They had a sale on and I saved a fair bit of cash. I got a 15inch Inspiron 7000. Should last her a while. Also grabbed a port replicator and 2 24 inch monitors.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Ok, as someone who knows NOTHING about computer hardware I need some advice.

I want to download a game (which I have never done before) and for system requirements it says the following:

MINIMUM:
    Processor: Intel Core i3
    Memory: 3 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 200 series or higher / ATI Radeon HD Series / Intel HD Graphics 2000 with 1 GB VRAM
    DirectX: 9.0c or higher
    Hard Drive: 12 GB free space
    Audio: DirectX-compatible on-board

RECOMMENDED:
    Processor: Haswell-based Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 200 series or higher / ATI Radeon HD Series or higher with 2 GB VRAM
    DirectX: 9.0c or higher
    Hard Drive: 12 GB free space
    Sound: DirectX-compatible soundcard

Now pretty much all of that is gibberish to me. How do I find out what components my computer is packing and if they are good enough to play this game?

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    How do I find out what components my computer is packing and if they are good enough to play this game?
    It may differ depending on the version of Windows you're running. Try this link for instructions on how to view 'System Information'.

Typically I just use a program like Speccy (link) or CPU-Z (link) to get a quick lowdown on what's inside a machine. Just download and run either of those (or both if you want to compare) and you should get all the info you'll need.
    The only thing to be aware of is when games mention specific processors or video cards it doesnt mean that you need that exact one to run the games, just something that's comparable, for example an AMD phenom ii x4 is comparable to the Intel Core i3 processor.
    If in doubt post the information you get here and one of us can tell you if it's good enough for you to run that game.

Quote Originally Posted by kovert View Post
    It may differ depending on the version of Windows you're running. Try this link for instructions on how to view 'System Information'.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
    Typically I just use a program like Speccy (link) or CPU-Z (link) to get a quick lowdown on what's inside a machine. Just download and run either of those (or both if you want to compare) and you should get all the info you'll need.
    The only thing to be aware of is when games mention specific processors or video cards it doesnt mean that you need that exact one to run the games, just something that's comparable, for example an AMD phenom ii x4 is comparable to the Intel Core i3 processor.
    If in doubt post the information you get here and one of us can tell you if it's good enough for you to run that game.
    Cheers guys. Luckily I was able to get a techie mate on his lunch break to talk me through checking all the systems etc and apparently my computer should be able to handle the game, though now with most of the day gone I probably wont download it till next Monday now.

If I need any more help I'll give a yell - thanks again