Thread: Toy Review - Cordon

Default Toy Review - Cordon

CORDON
    Series - Masterpiece
    Sub-line - none
    Size/class - N/A
    New/remould/redeco - retool and repaint of Masterpiece Sunstreaker
    Wave - MP-42
    Released here - No (released in Japan October 2018)
    Approximate Retail Price - 15000yen (about AU$193)
    Approximate Size - 16cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Lamborghini Countach
    Main Features/Gimmicks - car can transform between standard and modified "tuning" Lamborghini, hidden gun in rear of car, weapon stowage
    Main Colours - white with black highlights
    Main Accessories - pistol, missile, wing mirrors

Note: Cordon is a repaint and retool of MP Sunstreaker. Refer to the Sunstreaker review thread for comments about the original mould. This thread will focus on differences made.

While Cordon is a new character to Transformers, the toy itself is based on the Diaclone Car Robot Countach LP500S Super Tuning Police Car Type toy.

Standard vehicle mode

Super Tuning vehicle mode

Cordon has one double-sided light bar which you push through the chest panel to protrude out for either vehicle or robot mode

Robot mode

Cordon's missile on Sunstreaker

Cordon emulating Sunstreaker's box art pose

Standard vehicle mode comparison

Super Tuning Sunstreaker next to standard Cordon

Super Tuning vehicle mode comparison

Robot mode comparison

Overall thoughts
    I love the retooling done to make this toy more G1 toy-accurate, which means added more details to the shins and having that lovely G1-accurate head. The addition of the arm missile is also a neat bonus feature. The design of the light bar is simple but clever.

Cordon is pretty expensive, being ¥3000 ($40) above MP Sunstreaker's RRP. For me, this will likely be the closest I'll get to owning the police type Super Tuning Lamborghini Countach Diaclone toy, because I'm not going to pay scalpery aftermarket prices and we know that HasTak are unable to reissue Sunstreaker, so something like an eHobby exclusive Cordon is out of the question. So yeah, it's very much a niche appeal, but I suppose the same could be said for many of these Diaclone-based redecos (e.g. Exhaust, Clampdown, Delta Magnus etc.). This won't be everyone's cup of tea, but if you're interested in getting this nice homage to a Diaclone figure that also incorporates it into Transformers lore, then you won't be disappointed. Unless you hate the original MP Sunstreaker mould... can't help you there.

So you finally got your hands on him How does he look alongside MP Prowl?

Quote Originally Posted by TaZZerath View Post
    So you finally got your hands on him How does he look alongside MP Prowl?
    Actually, the one that I initially pre-ordered from TBI hasn't even been dispatched yet (no idea what's happening with that). I got sick of waiting so I ordered another one from Mandarake (and I'll sell off my TBI one if it ever arrives). Haven't done comparisons with Prowl yet but will post piccies when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Actually, the one that I initially pre-ordered from TBI hasn't even been dispatched yet (no idea what's happening with that). I got sick of waiting so I ordered another one from Mandarake (and I'll sell off my TBI one if it ever arrives). Haven't done comparisons with Prowl yet but will post piccies when I do.
    Look foward to it, some Buddy Cop drama

Do you have MP Clampdown @Goki?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

Awesome image

Though now I can’t help but feel like Sideswipe, Sunstreaker and Smokescreen all went to a costume party where the theme was Prowl

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Google tells me Italy, Dubai, and LA!? police forces all have Lamborghinis.

Yup! This was something that made Mach Alert so cool in Car Robot back in 2000, because by then there were some police forces (highway patrols) who were using Lamborghinis. So as outrageous as it looks, it does work as a robot in disguise. Okay, maybe not necessarily a Diablo or Countach, but it's plausible since there are other types of police Lamborghinis IRL (e.g. Gallardo). Albeit not Japan, and these are all coloured like Japanese police cars, but hey... again, plausible.

But for me the main appeal was the homage to Diaclone. There's also a small reference to Mach Alert with the CR03 number plate. Although I must say that the retooling done to the head and shins to make the toy more toy-accurate is very awesome. I only wish that MP Sunstreaker used this mould (give me toy accuracy over cartoon likeness any day).

So the yellow one doesnt have cr 02 on the number plate? :/

That group photo reminds me of an old man with a hunchback. Can you see it? CAN you SEE it! Also harry high pants.

So theres red yellow police car for all three molds. Whos left? Lol