• Only interested in one or some of the figures if available separately

1 9.09%
  • Not worth it

0 0%
  • Not even interested

1 9.09%

Thread: CHAOS ON VELOCITRON box set

Default CHAOS ON VELOCITRON box set

Managed to score one of these bad boys. I don't have the impetus to add photos to this review thread, and since most of the toys therein are repaints, I'll try to just address the ups and downs of the differences between the box set toys and the originals.

Included in the set - leader class Quickswitch, voyager Laser Prime, deluxe Nautica, legends class Fastclash, and titan master Rodimus Prime, 2 large double- sided instruction sheets (one for Quickswitch and one for the rest), and a large card (almost the size of the box itself, which is pretty big) with the character's tech specs on one side and the clean box art on the other.

QUICKSWITCH:
    I think I would have been really impressed with this figure if it wasn't for the fact that I already had the mould in the form of Six Shot. He's nice and big and imposing, great articulation, bold, bright colours with rather nice paint apps. He has a couple of stickers which add some nice detail and are applied well enough. He shares 5 alt modes with Six Shot rather than his G1 counterpart (which only shares a jet mode), so if you're after a strictly faithful modern representations of the G1 toy, you'll be disappointed.

Personally, I'm making some minor adjustments to the robot mode to make him look a bit different from Six Shot (mainly the upper shoulder configuration and the wings on the back).

LASER PRIME:
    Probably the most disappointing of the set. The fact that it is a reasonable representation of the original G2 toy can't overcome the blandness of the greys and the washed out powder blue of the head and abdomen. Just like the voyager OP that this is a repaint of, this feels like a weak version of what will be Octane in the next few months. Jet mode is particularly uninspired. The tanker mode has garish stickers for the trailer that are VERY poorly applied and lifting off right out of the box. I don't mind the stickers, but either apply them properly in the factory, or put them on a sticker sheet so I can do it properly myself.

On the plus side, his weapons (clear blue sword and black double barrelled gun) are really nice. But they won't be enough for this guy to keep his place in my (displayed) collection.

NAUTICA:
    The Blurr mould that this is based on has become one of those moulds that has been used and re-used ad nauseam - luckily, its a pretty good mould, and with its lithe lines, perfect for a fembot. The differences between the original mould and Nautica (other than the sweet colours - the pink and purple really pop) are the titan master (damned good head sculpt) and the wings/propeller things, which are detachable. Oddly enough, the paint apps on mine are not quite the same on either side, but it's not that noticeable and I suspect just a small QC error.

FASTCLASH:
    What, "Fastlane" was being used? Copyright can be stupid sometimes.

The robot mode is a bit squat, with stubby legs. Even so, the front end of the car mode is a bit too long, adding to an unconvincing alt mode. I think the designers were a bit too concerned with making a slavish representation of the G1 toy rather than making a cool modern toy, and the figure is poorer for it. The engineering is barely better than the G1, and it looks pretty much identical to the original, down to the car spoiler hanging off the back of the robot head. Sadly, he also lacks any weapons. The twin guns would have been nice. He has got a seat (after a fashion) that a titan master can sit in.

Damn my completionist nature and needing to get Cloudraker!

Speaking of Cloudraker, it's clear from Flastclash that they will share several parts, as Fastclash's legs and groin can seperate, which serves no purpose at all for this use of the new mould.

RODIMUS PRIME:
    It's a head.

Really, that's it. Just a head. No vehicle to drive in or weapon for a larger figure (like the separately sold titan masters). He can ride Fastclash I guess, but if you display your figures in robot mode like me, that's little consolation.

Fun fact: they even have diagrams on the instruction sheet on how to turn it from little robot into head mode. AND BACK AGAIN, just in case you find the transformation was a bit too complex.

I'm not sure what the point of it is - so you can turn deluxe Hot Rod into Rodimus Prime? We already know we are going to get a new Hot Rod and Rodimus toy in the POTP line next year, so it seems a bit redundant. A pre-mould maybe? I'll give it one thing, the robot mode on this titan master looks amazing, with paint apps in glossy black for the legs, orange and yellow on the torso and yellow on the face, giving him some nice detailing sadly missing on most titan masters. The Rodimus face has some poorly applied paint apps on mine, hopefully that's a unique issue.

OVERALL: Look, it's not a great set. I paid $215 for mine, so for a $70 leader, $40 voyager, $25 deluxe, a $15 legend and a $9 titan master (good looking as it is but minus a vehicle), that makes about $159 worth of figures*, which means I paid around $56 for the exclusivity of the set, which I'm not sure is worth it, even if the figures were better than they are.

Recommended for completists only. If you are not that, I wouldn't bother, or try and buy just the figures you want separately on the secondary market or wait for a potential Takara release of them.

*very rough approximate retail prices only, depending on source and sale prices.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

(Damn, forgot to add a poll to the original post - Mods, feel free to add one if you want!)

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    (Damn, forgot to add a poll to the original post - Mods, feel free to add one if you want!)
    As this thread's author you can do this...

* Click on "Thread Tools"

* You will see the following options:
    .....Show Printable Version
    .....Email this Page
    .....Subscribe to this Thread
    .....Add a Poll to this Thread

* Click on "Add a Poll to this Thread" and follow the usual steps to add a poll.

May I suggest adding a new option, something like, "Only interested in one or some figures from this set if available separately."

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    As this thread's author you can do this...

* Click on "Thread Tools"

* You will see the following options:
    .....Show Printable Version
    .....Email this Page
    .....Subscribe to this Thread
    .....Add a Poll to this Thread

* Click on "Add a Poll to this Thread" and follow the usual steps to add a poll.

May I suggest adding a new option, something like, "Only interested in one or some figures from this set if available separately."
    Aaaah! Good to know! Thanks

Some nice feedback here Mbot and also if we look at rrp from places like Target, Myer, TRU, it'll be closer to $200 for that lot of similar sized bots so an additional $15 or so seems very palatable.

Toyhax/ has a label upgrade set with guns for Fastlane, and Shapeways have red guns for Quickswitch. Really completes the boxset
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

I'm pleased with this box (I got it from amazon at their RRP of 99 USD + shipping).

Nautica is my fav of the set... which isn't a surprise since i love that blurr mould

G2 Prime is fine if u ignore the jet mode ;D

i wish they did Greatshot instead of quickswitch...but he's good to have opposite sixshot.

Fastclash is lacklustre. His alt mould is horrendus.

Rodimus headmaster looks great in trypticon's stomach

I was feeling lazy for not adding photos in the first review post - so here's some.

Box, front and back.

The poster/tech specs card.

Instruction sheets.

Vehicle modes (only one of Quickswitch's and Laser Prime's).

Titan Masters. Rodimus has a nice paint job (well, not the Rodimus face so much...) but the others remain pretty bland.

Robot modes (and a game of "spot the Rodimus").

...there he is! Not a good paint job on the eyes or the front/bottom of the helmet.

Closer shots of the robot busts, including the crappy sticker placements on Prime's chest and Fastclash's head spoiler.

Not to harp on about some of the issues I had with the set, but... the two halves of Quickswitch's nosecone won't stay together. Not an issue I had with Six Shot.

And here's a shot of the crappy sticker placement on my Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    Toyhax/ has a label upgrade set with guns for Fastlane, and Shapeways have red guns for Quickswitch. Really completes the boxset
    I'll definitely be getting the Toyhax set. But I wish I didn't have to (especially for the guns). I'll skip the Shapeways ones. I haven't looked at Shapeways for a while but I remember the prices being fairly high.