Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monkey Magic (Non-TF)

Default Monkey Magic (Non-TF)

http://boltax.deviantart.com/art/Mon...lour-136188831

I've been watching some Monkey Magic episodes and I got inspired to draw the main characters. I love Monkey Magic so much.

--Jhiaxus
    (By the way... I'm on Twitter now: http://twitter.com/Jhiaxus)

Half my namesake! (Monkey is known as Gokuu in Japan )

I don't know if any of you guys have played it, but Ouendan 2 for NDS has a bonus stage with the Monkey Magic theme song. It's really great to play and i was so excited when i unlocked it! I have only vague memories of the show; it has been so long since i last saw it.

yukitora Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Half my namesake! (Monkey is known as Gokuu in Japan )
    i don't recall monkey starting with a 'g'. doesn't it start with an 's'? i'm more in tune with the language up in the Akita-ken region. not tokyo stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by yukitora View Post
    i don't recall monkey starting with a 'g'. doesn't it start with an 's'? i'm more in tune with the language up in the Akita-ken region. not tokyo stuff.
    Money sname in Japanese is Sonn Goku. Usually shortened to Goku depending on which story you are watching. My fave though was Sa Gojo AKA Sandy. He was a Kappa

To be fair, though... a lot of the appeal of Monkey Magic is its westernisation.

The dub has this mad energy to it that takes an okay show and makes it an AMAZING show.

Visually the show IS fun, with Pigsy, Sandy and Monkey being a hell of a lot of fun. The FX are crummy (they always were), but the fight scenes are GREAT (except in the second season... where there's way less fighting and the fight sequences are much worse coreographed).

But it's that dub that really makes it magic.
    --Jhiaxus.

Very true, very true there. The dub does put the icing on the cake, especially the way they have the quasi asian accents on the characters.

I got the complete box set and when I was watching it was suprised how much fighting there was in it. Makes me wonder how this was considered a kids show back in the 80s Not that its that bad, just suprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    I don't know if any of you guys have played it, but Ouendan 2 for NDS has a bonus stage with the Monkey Magic theme song. It's really great to play and i was so excited when i unlocked it! I have only vague memories of the show; it has been so long since i last saw it.
    Was it the Gandara theme over the credits or the opening? I was checking a Jap paper that was quite old a while ago and they had the words to Gandara in there with a little articel about the song and what Gandara was. Maybe the music had a bit of a revival.

They have that song at Karaoke boxes here in Sydney! 今度シドニーに来て一緒にカラオケに行ってガンダーラを歌いましょう!(^O^)

Quote Originally Posted by yukitora
    The Japanese word for monkey is 猿 (saru) but as Tetsuwan Convoy eluded to the name for the Monkey King from the story of 西遊記 (Journey to the West) is 孫悟空 (Son Gokuu).

I used to feel mighty confused with Tripitaka as a kid... he was clearly established as a _male_ monk but I thought he was HAWT! Of course, I've since learnt that Tripitaka was played Masako Natsume (a woman! )

The 80s had so many awesome kids shows and Monkey was right up there IMO...the dub definitely added a whole new level of fun. I've never to this day heard the word 'poofter' used on any other kids show.

Sorry Paulie but it is pretty funny...

Oh and DAMN YOU GOKI FOR THAT LINK! Never realised she was that hot under that robe, as if I didn't feel conflicted enough watching Monkey before... For anyone who reads the link and wants to hear the Oh! Cookie Face song here's the youtube link.