Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trading Card Discussion Thread

@I_Am_Trunks: I used to collect the Space Jam Tazos as well, I could never seem to find a lot of the ones I needed (If I remember correctly) and grew frustrated eventually trading/giving most of them away - I also LOVED the original run of Oddbodz cards too! but they seemed to be just as hard to get now as they were then.

My personal favourite original Oddbodz Character/Card was "Robotic Fish Guts" :
    (Not My Photo)

@King Atlas: DUDE! - Glo-Caps were friggin' awesome!
    I had a whole whack of various assorted ones back in the day, I was always a sucker for the Twisted Art + Glow-in-The-Dark nature of them & man were those Red Glowing ones incredibly popular, yet hard to come by? - So wicked!
    ...but I also hand a couple of the Sonic The Hedgehog caps too as I was (& still am ) a BIG fan of Sonic 1/2/3/& Knuckles on Megadrive!

@Sharky: I still say that for the low amount of money you spent on the case, dude, it ends up looking so incredibly professional!

So yesterday I had the last 2 Skeleton Warriors (Cut) Promo cards arrive from the US, hence FINALLY & ACTUALLY completing that '95 Fleer Ultra series of trading cards!

I also had some appropriate-sized 3-Ring Binder Comic-book Display Sheets (Ultra Pro ) arrive, allowing me to swap-out the ill-fitting A4-sized Display Sheets:

...and enabling me to replace them with the new Comic-book Display Sheets, both sealing them AND far better fitting these hard to come by "Ultra Print" (Oversized) Promo cards :

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post

@Sharky: I still say that for the low amount of money you spent on the case, dude, it ends up looking so incredibly professional!
    i know my only issue with it is it does not come with enough dividers to compartmentalise it more thinking i might get som 5-7mm pply and make some of my own...

must admit those comic pages suit the oversize cards much better then the A4 pages..
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    i know my only issue with it is it does not come with enough dividers to compartmentalise it more thinking i might get som 5-7mm pply and make some of my own...
    Sounds like a good idea dude, that sort of gauge of ply shouldn't be all too expensive - Maybe see if Bunnings has some off-cut you might be able to grab for a reduced price.

must admit those comic pages suit the oversize cards much better then the A4 pages..
    Yeah I'm pretty pleased with them, but I'll have to take you up on your suggestion of getting some backing boards for them & the comics though.

Earlier in the week, I had the 1 Promo & 1 of the 3 remaining Chase cards from the '96 Topps Goosebumps set that I needed arrive!

...I also picked up some replacement display folders to replace the old black ones that'd become weak & warped, along with some 5"x7" 2-Pocket display sheets for my '95 Fleer Ultra Skeleton Warriors "Uncut" Promo cards.

On Wednesday I had a massive new addition to my Skeleton Warriors collection; All the way from Hawaii, the complete (1-70) collection of Pogs/Caps!
    (These were apparently only available through Retailer VHS Counter Display boxes of 12 & 24 Video Cassettes! )

Interestingly enough, however, there exists these 5 additional Unmarked Holographic Pogs/Caps that at this point are a complete enigma!

From California, I had the 2nd last Chase card/sticker I needed to complete my Topps Goosebumps trading cards collection arrive.
    (Along with several other assorted cards, including "Forgettable Actor" Bill Pullman from the '95 Fleer Casper Movie series... of which I want to collect now too! )

...and then yesterday; I had the 1st, of what is likely to be many, Complete Base sets of Fantasy/Sci-fi artist trading cards arrive.
    These came in from Bundaberg and is the entire '93 FPG Cards: Rowena Morrill Base set.

I've been meaning to post here for a while.

The first cards I got were some TF cards. I'm still collecting those over 25 years later. Only a few more outstanding ones to get.

In grade five everyone was getting the VFL cards, so despite not being interested in the game or the players I did too. It was just about the collecting/completing aspect. I got a few Batman movie cards packs, and some Ghostbusters 2 cards, but never got totally caught up.

In grade six, the TMNT craze hit. The original cartoon set was the first card set I ever completed. I put them into sleeves recently and found a card missing. I'm still hoping it will show up!

The TMNT movie set was the next complete set I got. This is the time when I, like most primary school boys, was obssesed with TMNT. These cards aren't great though. Fairly cheapily designed and the bright pink text boxes, but they are a symbol of that time when TMNT was a real passion.

The next cards to win me over where the X-Men series by Jim Lee. This was just when I was getting into X-Men so the cards taught me things about the characters I wouldn't otherwise know. Jim Lee was my favourite X-Men artist and there was 100 new images by him all coloured so much better than comics could do at the time. This would be my favourite card set ever.

But the cards were hard to find, only a very few speciality shops sold them. No newsagents and it was just too early for the card shop explosion. eBay came to the rescue many years and I bought the set complete.

The 1994 X-Men set is also a favourite. I was able to complete this one at the time, thanks to one other guy at school collecting them who I could trade with. I did get a few of the chase cards in this set too, but sold them to one of those aforementioned comic shops that appeared everywhere around that time.

And that's about it. I do get tempted to get that Mark Bagley Spider-Man set at times, and I will keep looking for those final few TF cards, but otherwise my card collecting days are done.

I really enjoyed reading your recounts Paul, you've got some awesome series in your collection!

I was mentioning to Sharky that I'm not the biggest fan of "Screenshot" type cards, with only a few exceptions to that rule (Casper ), but man oh man those TMNT cards are just cool man - boh the Animated AND Movie sets!

Marvel just seemed to GET trading cards, so many of their comic-based series have the most extraordinary artwork employed and the sweetest Chase card types; I find it hard to decide just which set I should aim my efforts towards for that very reason and those X-Men series doesn't make things any easier!

I'd love to collect the G1 Transformers cards too, but from what I know the Aussie set is nigh impossible to complete and the American series just confuses the matter - I'd love to hear your take on this and what you'd recommend to someone who might be considering getting into G1 Transformers Trading cards.

I was mentioning to Sharky that I'm not the biggest fan of "Screenshot" type cards, with only a few exceptions to that rule (Casper ), but man oh man those TMNT cards are just cool man - boh the Animated AND Movie sets!
    Like many, the TMNT movie cards are mostly production photos rather than screenshots, and have stuff that never ended up in the movie, which makes them more interesting. The Animated series is the much better designed set of the two though I think.

I'd love to collect the G1 Transformers cards too, but from what I know the Aussie set is nigh impossible to complete and the American series just confuses the matter - I'd love to hear your take on this and what you'd recommend to someone who might be considering getting into G1 Transformers Trading cards.
    I've been trying to complete for a long time, buying the odd cards here and there on eBay. I'd like to finish, and the trading thread has helped, but it's a long term goal. The US set is possibly easier to get, bigger original market. The Aussie one is special as a thing from my childhood though, so I care about that one more.

Got these in last Thursday from an eBay Seller in Melbourne; a set of 10x 1994 Peninsula Vending Company Prism Stickers!

The Seller had procured them through a deceased estate auction, obtaining a stack of vending machine sticker boxes of which contained these beauties - Unfortunately, beyond the name of the company that produced them & the manufacturing year, he wasn't able to shed any further light on things like distribution, amount & types produced or what specific machines they were found in.

Still, very chuffed to add these to my collection and whilst I know that a couple more of these were produced - the asking price is just WAY too high for what they are.

Won a whole WHACK of early 90s Scifi/Fantasy-based Artist sets "wins" from eBay last week, they all arrived earlier this week along with an AWESOME piece courtesy of Sharky!

Here's the '95 Fleer-Ultra Casper: The Movie "9-Up" Uncut Promo card!

This is the box which contained the complete Base Sets from 7 different series.

Listed from Top-Bottom, Left-Right:
    • '94 Comic Images: The Alien World of Wayne Barlowe (Complete 90-Card Base Set)
    • '94 Comic Images: (Series 2) Forbidden Universe of Luis Royo (Complete 90-Card Base Set)
    • '98 Comic Images: Crimson Embrace by Spadari (Complete 72-Card Base Set)
    • '92 Comic Images: (Series 2) The Fantasy Continues by Boris Vallejo (Complete 90-Card Base Set)
    • '93 Comic Images: Lost Worlds by William Stout (Complete 90-Card Base Set)
    • '93 FPG: Jeffrey Jones Collection 1 (Complete 90-Card Base Set)
    • '95 FPG: Paul Chadwick Collection (Complete 90-Card Base Set)

'93 Comic Images: Lost Worlds by William Stout

• An interesting note about William Stout; Amongst the multitude of Motion Picture Production work he did, he was heavily involved in the 80s "Masters of The Universe" movie and this set contains a pair of conceptual pieces of He-Man & Langeletor!

'95 FPG: Paul Chadwick Collection

'93 FPG: Jeffrey Jones Collection 1

...and now I have to buy another folder as I have filled this one with 4x Sets/360 Cards!

an awesome little collection you have going on there mate!!

the big question is what is next!!
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy