Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for a short trip to the Philippines

Default Advice for a short trip to the Philippines

Hi Everybody!!

So, this weekend, I'm going to be in Cebu in the Philippines for a day and a half. I have a stop over at change airport Singapore on the way there and back for an hour or so in each direction.

I'm there for my Uncles wedding, so I probably won't have a lot of spare time on my hands.

I'm just wondering if there is anything I should see or do if it turns out I have a couple hours up my sleeve.

any particular food or restaurant I should try,
    any particular sight or sound I should check out?
    is it worth trying to find a toy store to look for transformers, how do prices compare over there compared to here? Are there any specialty stores where I'm likely to find something rare or extra cool?

thanks for the input in advance.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

One place I want to visit one day is Yexels toy museum, but it would depend on where it relates to the place you'll be staying at in your short visit.

Singapore Airport has a very nice/big toyshop... don't forget to check it out for some toy options if you have a couple hours.

Thanks, I'll look for the toy store at teh airport, Yexels looks really cool but it's a 27 hour drive according to the bing maps link from the facebook page.
    probably not this time

You'll have to fly to Manila Airport for Yexel's. You're best bet is the TRU equivalent which is Toy Kingdom at SM Cebu (mall). If you see Rustan's department store, they might have a toy section.

Take me with you :lol:

Local cuisine - Max's Fried chicken is the best I've tasted. Chicken Inasal is the Phil version of El Jannah. For local version of McDonald's, try Jollibee
    Last edited by jazzcomp; 4th September 2014 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    Hi Everybody!!

So, this weekend, I'm going to be in Cebu in the Philippines for a day and a half. I have a stop over at change airport Singapore on the way there and back for an hour or so in each direction.

I'm there for my Uncles wedding, so I probably won't have a lot of spare time on my hands.

I'm just wondering if there is anything I should see or do if it turns out I have a couple hours up my sleeve.

any particular food or restaurant I should try,
    any particular sight or sound I should check out?
    is it worth trying to find a toy store to look for transformers, how do prices compare over there compared to here? Are there any specialty stores where I'm likely to find something rare or extra cool?

thanks for the input in advance.
    Unfortunately Transformers Wise I know nothing of stores in Metro Cebu. The usual hobby shops that I know are located in the Metro Manila district - Greenhills in particular has a hall and a floor for it, plus scattered shops alla round the mall area.. That's not to say that there isn't any. somewhere else Try giving SM Mall Cebu a visit. The current line of the generations are the ones on retail there at the moment - Generations Whirl, Roadbuster, Gears, Nemesis prime et al. Having said that, see if there's a branch of Toykingdom as well in the said mall - if so, give it a visit coz they would prolly have more stock as it's usually twice the size of TRU. Try giving Toys R US as well if there's a branch in said mall as I believe they were spotted to be selling Generations Skids.

Again I can only speculate since I haven't been to Cebu.

Price wise there's only a small difference to what we have for sale here, at times about $5 - 7 less. If you do happen to chance upon sale days (3 day sale) usually done once a month then you might luck out, coz they at times sell deluxes for about $20 . Maybe even less if it's really non moving stock. They usually follow the US pricing there.
    Convertion rate is usually 40 Php Pesos to Au$1.

The Toy museum that griffin mentioned isn't anywhere near where your going to be located.... to give you an idea it's like it's (the museum) in Canberra and your going to be in Queensland. That far off. Most of the geeky stuff are more centered in Manila and the surrounding Metros. Unfortunately since it's an archipelago, the supply stock which Manila has may be quite different to what the other provincial Metro cities will have, a few delays maybe, but yeah same stock on a different scale.

As far as I'm aware the airports have NO toy stores there... unlike in Singapore. Even the Duty free shops within the airport are very scant compared to Sydney. The airports are in need of major facelift and upgrade unfortunately. Though apparently Cebu is more cleaner than Manila will ever be.

By the way, always bring your own water. Water from the tap is NOT drinkable, at all...buy mineral water. If you have to ask for water in a resto ask for bottled water.
    Also note that in SM stores each rack/aisle usually has a merchandizer in charge (unlike here where there's prolly 1 per whole section) so it's likely that they'll be too "accommodating", hehehe. I've had my cousins who grew up here find that it's too "inyourface" eager, but that's just how it is. don't worry they mean to help.

Place wise other than malls, well there's the beaches but if you have only a few hours to kill, yeah the mall would be your target place to hang out. Food wise it, try Halohalo.. It's a dessert - shaved ice with lotsa toppings and milk. It will be hot there so a hand fan and a face towel to wipe off sweat - if you sweat a lot, would be handy. Not sure if Mangoes are still in season - bt if it is, try giving it a taste - it's very different sweetness wise to the ones sold here. Try tasting some local fruits like Lanzones, Santol (wild Mangosteen) or Durian (stinky though hahaha).

Sorry couldn't be of more help. Were it in Metro Manila area I could point you in one place and you'd prolly wanna spend your days there
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Thanks for the great feedback guys!

one of the guys at work said that Jollibee have sweet potato fries, I'm going to have to try that.

The SM mall Cebu is only about 10 minutes drive from the motel so I might be able to check that out. I have no idea where the actual wedding is, I just know its at 9 am. so there's probably going to be some spare time at some point in the day.

I don't even know what El Jannah is here?
    Liege, should I be careful where I get Halohalo from if it's shaved ice, is there a chance they'll use tap water to make it?

I'll definitely keep an eye out for Lanzones and Santol (wild Mangosteen), I've heard about Durian I might give that a miss.

thanks for all the feedback, i'll let you know how I go.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I don't even know what El Jannah is here?
    El Jannah sells charcoal chicken and it's main branch is in Granville just a short walk from the Granville train station. They're chicken seems to taste differently than other charcoal chicken shops and seems to be better than portuguese and normal roast chicken. You just have to try Chicken Inasal. It's really different but very tasty grilled chicken.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    El Jannah sells charcoal chicken and it's main branch is in Granville just a short walk from the Granville train station. They're chicken seems to taste differently than other charcoal chicken shops and seems to be better than portuguese and normal roast chicken. You just have to try Chicken Inasal. It's really different but very tasty grilled chicken.

Have fun!
    Well it's on my radar now!

Well, I'm still at changi airport and I already have my first souvenir. ..

Will probably be going back for series 4 microchangers on my way back through.

Wave 3 One-Steps... that's the first I've heard of them being out anywhere. (but few people collect them, so they don't show up as often as a sighting on fansites)
    And a good price compared to us here, as that works out to be about AU$16... compared to AU$19-22 here.