View Poll Results: Legends Astrotrain - worth getting?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • A cartoon-coloured, triple-changing headmaster?! Hells yeah!

1 20.00%
  • Only if cheap

2 40.00%
  • Only if not interested in the TR version

0 0%
  • Na

2 40.00%
  • Hope this toy flies into a black hole!

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - LG40 Astrotrain

Default Toy Review - LG40 Astrotrain

LG40 Astrotrain
    Series – Legends
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco - Redeco of TR Astrotrain
    Released here – No
    Approximate Retail Price - $40
    Approximate Size - 18cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode – Space Shuttle/Cybertronian Train
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Headmaster
    Main Colours – Dark Grey, Purple
    Main Accessories – gun, larger gun, Head Master

Space Shuttle Mode

Quite flat but certainly a nicely shaped shuttle. There are several options as to where you can place the guns, either on the sides or on the top (I go for the sides personally). Astrotrain’s Headmaster can sit in either the little cockpit at the back between the tailfins or can sit in one of the gun turrets on the side. They have at least coloured the windows of the cockpit, something that the Sentinel Prime figure was sorely lacking and from photos I’ve seen the TR version of Astrotrain suffers from this as well.

Train Mode

Looks like a Cybertronian train of some kind because I don’t think we have trains like this on earth, even in Japan. Like the shuttle version, the train’s windows have added colour here in order to highlight them and the gun ports on the top of the train have been coloured differently to the section (Astrotrains robot arms) that they protrude from. That and the overall colour scheme make this a far superior looking train to Sentinel Prime who looked like a bright red and orange stick.

Robot Mode

I think probably the best looking official Astrotrain toy we have ever had! Good articulation on all extremities, nicely poseable and a good paint job. I like how both his hand guns can join together to become one long rifle much like the G1 toy was sporting. He is of course a Headmaster and his Headmaster partner (whose name is actually Head Master) can come off and be replaced with any other Headmaster. A great gimmick for little kids and my son loves it, but for myself as a grown up fan I just want Astrotrain himself.

Overall
    This is a great Astrotrain! Yes the shuttle mode is a tiny bit flat and bland and the train mode is a bit alien in appearance but taken as a whole all three modes work and work well. We needed a Voyager-sized Astrotrain for the Generations lineup and the Tak/Tom version with the cartoon-homaging paintjob is far better than the Titans Return version in my opinion. and I heartily recommend this figure to all fans of great characters who get stuck carrying their mates around all day.

For an more in-depth review as well as lots of comparison photos, please read my blog review of LG40 Astrotrain HERE!

With the Legends figures, the headmaster IS Astrotrain. So his head is Astrotrain and the body just be his body.

I found a scan of the comic and was looking over it, looks like his train is sill a steam locomotive.. Or was. TBH I've just barely looked at the second panel, because, of, well, life

Wouldn't mind picking one up, but since I have the henkei henkei, I'll wait until he's cheap or I have a play with one myself I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    With the Legends figures, the headmaster IS Astrotrain. So his head is Astrotrain and the body just be his body.
    Makes sense. Though I got Brainstorm and Super Ginrai too and apparently Brainstorms is known as 'Cana' (short for Arcana) and Super Ginrai's is simply 'Ginrai' so it must differ from toy to toy. Maybe the two I mentioned are different due to originally being 'master' toys with partners

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Makes sense. Though I got Brainstorm and Super Ginrai too and apparently Brainstorms is known as 'Cana' (short for Arcana) and Super Ginrai's is simply 'Ginrai' so it must differ from toy to toy. Maybe the two I mentioned are different due to originally being 'master' toys with partners
    As far as I remember, Mindwipe, WW, Skull etc just have the one name. Ginrai gets super when the can joins with the trailer and since now he has to, I guess he becomes Super be default now in robot mode. I too have Brainstorm and he has Kana too... So, yeah, dunno whats up with that. Anyone get the new Brainstorm? I am curious if he has got Kana as well now.
    Fort Max is called Fortress in Mini mode, and I assume he only gets maximus when he is in the midst of BIIIG MOOODE. Confusing, but in my head, I'm fine with assume the Transtector bodies are personality-less ( except for the animal Deceps which are cute )