View Poll Results: GEN VOY Blitzwing - worth buying?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 45.95%
  • Only if...

13 35.14%
  • Not worth it

6 16.22%
  • I'm not even interested

1 2.70%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Generations VOY Blitzwing

Default Toy Review - Generations VOY Blitzwing

(Please post photos, comments or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details to start you off)

Series - Generations
    Sub-line - n/a (Fall of Cybertron label dropped)
    Size/class - Voyager
    Wave - 3
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Released here - not expected here (released globally April 2013)
    Approximate Retail Price - $40-50 (US$20-25 in America)
    Approximate Size - 18cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Tank, Jet
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Triple-changer
    Main Colours - Purple, tan, black, grey
    Main Accessories - Sword, gun

NOTE - the original official image is below. The actual Hasbro toy does not have that metallic shine to it. If official photos of the actual toy is released, it will be changed over.

First, I want to give Hasbro a great deal of credit for trying to pull this design off in the Generations line, which unlike the Animated aesthetic (which last gave us a Blitzwing) doesn't allow as much room for chibi-fying and messing with proportions.

Springer as a triple changer has always been easy hat really - the helicopter mode is more or less the car/buggy mode with the back end unfolded into a tail boom and a rotor on the top. It's far more difficult to try and get two vehicle modes with vastly different modes visually, here a bulky tank with hard edges and a sleek jet with curvy aerodynamic lines, out of the same pile of plastic and throw a robot mode in there too. I suppose what I'm saying is points for trying.

The end product is fairly poor though. The robot mode has major stability issues around the shoulder area - the shoulders have what are effectively vestigial tabs that don't really grip anything. Think the first run of 2007 Movie Brawl, but possibly worse. The head is on the end of a bit of plastic that telescopes back into the cockpit for transformation, but this doesn't really stay up in a convincing manner (not sexual). The head has a face changing gimmick similar to Animated Blitzwing - the figure could have done without this to be honest, all it achieves is to make the head too bulky to transform properly and limits the articulation to side to side.

Jet mode is actually a very good effort. It manages to avoid massive undercarriage kibble but having some of the bulk of the tank mode on the top of the jet. It ends up looking a little bit like Macross FAST Packs (or alternatively Classics Jetfire's backpack boosters) (which were based on Macross FAST Packs). Unfortunately another major design flaw works to more or less ruin this mode - the nose cone is a very soft malleable plastic that doesn't really do a convincing job of holding the aforementioned telescoping head joint back in place on my sample, and inevitably ends up coming free at the sides and stretching/warping into an odd shape. Your mileage may vary - I've read around the place that some people have problems with this, and some people have samples that fit perfectly.

Tank mode is a bit phoned in. From certain angles it looks amazing. From other angles it looks like bits of jet folded into a gappy tank mode. That said with triple changers one of the modes inevitable suffers for the other, and here that would be the tank mode. It works a lot better than some of the this modes we've seen on other triple changers down the years (Drag Racer TM2 Megatron anyone?).

It's a bad figure unfortunately. All of the problems I've mentioned are fairly major on their own, but probably without being figure destroying. Working together however they bring down what could have been a fantastic figure with some engineering changes.

I'd like to see Hasbro keep making triple changers. There are signs here that they are learning from the mistakes of the past - I was especially pleased to see that they've learned that where one of the modes is a jet not just to shove the folded up third mode under the jet and hope no one notices. They've demonstrated that they know to hide the defining visual characteristics of each mode when they're in the other alt mode (here the tank turret and treads are hidden well in plane mode, and the cockpit, wings and stabilisers are hidden well in tank mode). So not a good figure, but perhaps a bit of hope for the future in there somewhere.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Contrary to the reviews I've read I'm really liking the Tank mode as it felt solid to me. I especially appreciate the two panels near the hips that you fold up to lock in the threads in this mode.

On the other hand Jet mode is an utter, infuriating mess. I could not transform the nose cone properly and the tabs which don't lock easily together pops out at the slightest touch. The end result looks like a shoebox strapped to an overweight duck with a bent beak. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though as I'm collect scale model planes and macross toys so may be biased and have unrealistic expectations for a jet to look like a jet.

There are also a few QC issues with the tolerances but it's still a fun toy I guess. Maybe I'll grow to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    First, I want to give Hasbro a great deal of credit for trying to pull this design off in the Generations line, which unlike the Animated aesthetic (which last gave us a Blitzwing) doesn't allow as much room for chibi-fying and messing with proportions.

Springer as a triple changer has always been easy hat really - the helicopter mode is more or less the car/buggy mode with the back end unfolded into a tail boom and a rotor on the top. It's far more difficult to try and get two vehicle modes with vastly different modes visually, here a bulky tank with hard edges and a sleek jet with curvy aerodynamic lines, out of the same pile of plastic and throw a robot mode in there too. I suppose what I'm saying is points for trying.

The end product is fairly poor though. The robot mode has major stability issues around the shoulder area - the shoulders have what are effectively vestigial tabs that don't really grip anything. Think the first run of 2007 Movie Brawl, but possibly worse. The head is on the end of a bit of plastic that telescopes back into the cockpit for transformation, but this doesn't really stay up in a convincing manner (not sexual). The head has a face changing gimmick similar to Animated Blitzwing - the figure could have done without this to be honest, all it achieves is to make the head too bulky to transform properly and limits the articulation to side to side.

Jet mode is actually a very good effort. It manages to avoid massive undercarriage kibble but having some of the bulk of the tank mode on the top of the jet. It ends up looking a little bit like Macross FAST Packs (or alternatively Classics Jetfire's backpack boosters) (which were based on Macross FAST Packs). Unfortunately another major design flaw works to more or less ruin this mode - the nose cone is a very soft malleable plastic that doesn't really do a convincing job of holding the aforementioned telescoping head joint back in place on my sample, and inevitably ends up coming free at the sides and stretching/warping into an odd shape. Your mileage may vary - I've read around the place that some people have problems with this, and some people have samples that fit perfectly.

Tank mode is a bit phoned in. From certain angles it looks amazing. From other angles it looks like bits of jet folded into a gappy tank mode. That said with triple changers one of the modes inevitable suffers for the other, and here that would be the tank mode. It works a lot better than some of the this modes we've seen on other triple changers down the years (Drag Racer TM2 Megatron anyone?).

It's a bad figure unfortunately. All of the problems I've mentioned are fairly major on their own, but probably without being figure destroying. Working together however they bring down what could have been a fantastic figure with some engineering changes.

I'd like to see Hasbro keep making triple changers. There are signs here that they are learning from the mistakes of the past - I was especially pleased to see that they've learned that where one of the modes is a jet not just to shove the folded up third mode under the jet and hope no one notices. They've demonstrated that they know to hide the defining visual characteristics of each mode when they're in the other alt mode (here the tank turret and treads are hidden well in plane mode, and the cockpit, wings and stabilisers are hidden well in tank mode). So not a good figure, but perhaps a bit of hope for the future in there somewhere.
    Have you checked out Peuagh's video review? It has a fix for the ridiculous shoulders at the 13 minute mark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=KW0f8U-K9j0

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post

This was actually what I was hoping for when I ordered it, but on mine the "Fast packs" keeps popping out during play and I had the nosecone issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    Have you checked out Peuagh's video review? It has a fix for the ridiculous shoulders at the 13 minute mark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=KW0f8U-K9j0
    The fix only worked for one side of my BW

Still waiting on my preorder to be filled at BBTS but that video review makes it look AMAZING!

Can't get the shoulder fix thing to work on either of my BWs shoulders
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

epic fail for me springer is the stronger triple changer

Sharky pretty much summed up everything I wanted to say

Blitzwing is harder to design than Springer, if it weren't for the shoulder problem I think it is still a very good figure. Don't understand why this wasn't ironed out at the master model stage or factory test shots. The face-changing gimmick doesn't seem necessary on a CHUG style figure but I apprecaite the effort to incorporate it nontheless.