Thread: NECA Thread...

Default NECA Thread...

Was in Toyworld Brisbane City today and couldn't stop looking at the NECA Predator series of figures. Really wanted a few but at $40 a pop, just couldn't justify it.
    Anyone else collecting these? or NECA figures full stop?
    Any comments on the quality of these things? Piccys etc...

I collect a lot of NECA figures, especially the alien and predator ones, the quality is ok at best, with loose joints, and extremely brittle weapons ( hard type) but they are just to awesome not to get. You'd be better off getting from BBTS, but with the dollar being so bad, may as well get them locally.

I've gotten 2 NECA Aliens, both loose second-hand. Personally, they're a little big for my tastes, and I'd rather their joints were done differently, but they are defnintely the most prolific line and arguably the 'default' Aliens/Predator series.

One of my two was an older Big Chap, which snapped off at the elbow pretty much as soon as I tried to move it. It was all of ~$8, so it got thrown out soon after. I gather they've gotten better since then.

The second was an also-loose Queen Alien, which I simply don't have space to display atm. From reviews I gather her quality is good enough as long as you loosen her joints first. In terms of screen-accuracy and sheer presence, though, she's just astounding. I wasn't going to get her, but seeing her in person...I just couldn't say no.

I also have a handful of non-NECA Aliens (2x Revoltech Aliens, and 2x SH Monsterarts Aliens) and I far prefer them to the NECA versions. They're smaller (which I sort of prefer myself - limited display space), but they're really poseable and surprisingly durable. The NECA versions seem to do what they do well, but what they do seems to be limited. The Revoltech/Monsterarts Aliens are rather more flexible, but less imposing and more expensive. And also don't have as many options - neither company has put out a Runner/Dog Alien yet.

In terms of Predators, I'd suggest checking out the SH Monsterarts Predator and/or the Revoltech Predator before picking up a NECA predator. Much like the Aliens, they're smaller but have much better articulation and are more versatile than the NECA offerings.