View Poll Results: MP Grimlock - worth buying?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 55.56%
  • Only if cheap

9 33.33%
  • No

1 3.70%
  • Not interested

2 7.41%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Hasbro Masterpiece Grimlock

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    From a purely visual point-of-view I like the comic Grimlock the most. The combination of the yellower gold and shadow grey (and that spectacular box)really hits a home run for me. Shame I'll never be able to justify buying one.
    Don't be silly, it's Grimlock and Grimlock is king that's all the justification you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    Don't be silly, it's Grimlock and Grimlock is king that's all the justification you need.
    Haha, this is true! Maybe I could also convince myself that the gold on comic Grimlock is real, not plastic. Perhaps someone could tempt myself and others further with some nice piccies of ol' bluey?

I have the original TT version. I'll likely get the local release as well, but not until a sale, and I'll just be keeping it sealed as a spare.

I don't see how they could have maintained such G1 accuracy (kibble included) without maintaining the simplicity. Otherwise, it would have just been complexity for complexity's sake, and that's never any good.

As to the accessories, they all stay in the box for me. I not really into playing "dress up".

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post

As for Grimlock, I would be tempted to buy one, even though I do have the TakTom version. But when you need every spare penny, I just can't justify buying another version of him. Maybe they will still have a few when I actually have money again.
    Well they prolly would, its TRU so they would keep flogging it off til every last one sells, not that they'd lower the price though, coz that's a big no no I guess for them.....
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    I don't see how they could have maintained such G1 accuracy (kibble included) without maintaining the simplicity. Otherwise, it would have just been complexity for complexity's sake, and that's never any good.
    I agree - and I have no qualms about the simplicity per se... just should've been a cheaper toy as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc
    As to the accessories, they all stay in the box for me. I not really into playing "dress up".
    The crown means a lot to me, as it represents a poignant phase in G1 lore and a pivotal phase in Grimlock's character development, as well as social commentary (i.e. how an elected leader can become a despotic tyrant and how absolute power corrupts absolutely etc.).

I didn't read the comics until years after I saw the show. So basically while the crown looks cool, it doesn't affect my decision at all. Maybe I need to read the comics again

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    Well they prolly would, its TRU so they would keep flogging it off til every last one sells, not that they'd lower the price though, coz that's a big no no I guess for them.....
    They may lower him, but maybe only a few dollars

IMO, it's dumb for them not to have layby, they would make so much more money if they did. The problem with today's market, is everyone is basically penny-pinching to try to stretch our their money. Layby is great for expensive stuff. Alot of people just don't have the funds to splash out and buy things outright. I remember how heartbroken I was when I was in there when Universe 2.0 came out, I grabbed a trolley and filled it with all the new figures, and the total came to about $400. When I asked about layby they said they don't do it. I was so sad

But on the plus side, I have them all now and even would have paid less for them

I got him today, and there was this horrible feeling that in Six months he'll be in Toyworld for 50 bucks, much like Masterpiece Starscream.
    I couldn't wait that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallestblue View Post
    I got him today, and there was this horrible feeling that in Six months he'll be in Toyworld for 50 bucks, much like Masterpiece Starscream.
    I couldn't wait that long.
    The way they're selling ATM I'd say it would be a long time before they go on clearance... if they ever do.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Arrived earlier in the week from RK, and at that price I'd say its a much more convincing buy than the price at TRU, IMO.

I love this figure- it is so awesome, granted its my first masterpiece fig, but I love it. I love the simplicity of the transformation- mimicking the g1 fig.

Minor gripes:
    The fingers in robot mode are not as articulated as I'd have liked (would have liked extra articulation in the fingers), and I don't like the small peg system he uses to hold the weapons.

I'm thinking about getting the Takara version in the future, just for that extra satisfaction of the colours of the gold and grey.

Just a minor question:
    Do you think he scales properly with classics figures?

A minor reason I bought him was to display on my classics shelf, as some have said they would do. He is quite large compared to the deluxes and voyagers- is he meant to tower over them in g1 continuity- or even comics? I tried to watch some g1 eps to give some clarity- but still very unsure. I mean is he meant to be taller than prime and magnus?

Are there any site/resources anyone can link me to clarify on the scale of grimlock and the other autobots?