Click for video link

How the 12 Lunar Zodiac Animals Were Chosen: Transformers Edition

A long time ago in a galaxy far away, the Jade Emperor said to the animals in the forest, "Come to my place so that I may greet you on the first day of the new year. As a reward, the first 12 animals to arrive will have new years named after them. So if the Cow were to come first, then the first year will be the Year of the Cow."
The animals of the forest were very excited. Then they thought very hard about how they could get there earlier than the other animals.

However, the Cat said, "It's not new year yet,"
and while basking in the sun he happily dozed off. But he hadn't really fallen asleep when he awoke and had completely forgotten which day he was supposed to go to the Jade Emperor's place.
"Whaaat, I'd better go ask someone."

And so he came to the Mouse's place.
"Hey, Mouse. When do we go to the Jade Emperor's place again?"
"The 2nd, the 2nd. New Year is on the 2nd."
"That's right, that's right. New Year is on the 2nd."

And the Cat walked away stroking his whiskers. But the Mouse had deliberately told the Cat to come a day late.

It was the night before the new year. The Cow left his house early,
"Seeing as I walk slowly, I'd better leave now."
As he plodded along, the Mouse jumped onto the Cow's back. The Cow didn't notice. When they reached the Jade Emperor's place they saw that the gates were closed. Nobody else had come yet.
"I did it! I'm first!"
But as soon as the gates opened, the Mouse leapt down from the Cow's back and was the first one through.

"What the...?!"
The Cow was surprised to see that he had come second place, then the Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Sheep, Monkey, Chicken, Dog and Boar all came in that order.

The next day, the Cat came to the Jade Emperor's place. But nobody was there.
"Hehehe... seems that I'm first."
Then the Gatekeeper shouted, "Go home! Go home! Everyone came yesterday, you slow-poke!"

The Cat was surprised.
"Ah! I've been tricked by the Mouse!"

The Cat became angry and flew off to the Mouse's place. Since then, the Cat has relentlessly hunted the Mouse whenever he finds him.

THE END