Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Global Transformers Writing Competition

Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post
    I recently sent IDW the following letter, and while I'm yet to receive a reply, I thought I'd repost it here to get your thoughts on the idea.

Do you think such an endeavor would work? Do you think the fandom would get behind something like this and do the 'heavy-lifting' in selecting their board's candidate? I'd be very appreciative of any and all your thoughts.
    I actually think your writing is really good, and feel you are totally justified in simply _telling_ IDW to accept your manuscripts.

But, that might seem a little arrogant, so this letter seems much more professional.

I'm chuffed you think the idea has some legs, lads, and would get behind it should something ever come to fruition. I posted the letter on a few other boards to get some reactions and surprisingly the comments have been quite negative, so it's nice to get some home-grown support.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam
    I actually think your writing is really good, and feel you are totally justified in simply _telling_ IDW to accept your manuscripts.

But, that might seem a little arrogant, so this letter seems much more professional.
    The main force behind the idea is simply to try and level the playing field and give writers an avenue to promote their own work. There's top-notch fan fiction out there that needs a bigger audience, and if the competition help get it read, then all the better.

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

Having come across your writing many times on sites and reading them I would believe if there were a competition held that you my friend could win it and therefore warrant the attention your fan fiction stories deserve.
    I was particularly impressed with your drive to invite others to do various jobs in bringing to fruition your awesome comic scripts in which I feel are of a level worthy of if not better than what we are seeing with the big trademark comic producers. Being a fan of the Beastwars and their continuity stories I was thrilled to have read works of such caliber as yours with your latest offerings continuing to deliver where the top contenders have ceased.
    I wish you all the best with your passion and drive to succeed though strongly believe your professionalism and work ethic should be enough to have the big guns take notice, and maybe they have and see you as a threat.
    I am filled with well described imagery when reading your comic scripts and hope they become published with full color art printing so I may own them all.
    You make my hobby everything through your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Zechariah View Post
    Having come across your writing many times on sites and reading them I would believe if there were a competition held that you my friend could win it and therefore warrant the attention your fan fiction stories deserve.
    I was particularly impressed with your drive to invite others to do various jobs in bringing to fruition your awesome comic scripts in which I feel are of a level worthy of if not better than what we are seeing with the big trademark comic producers. Being a fan of the Beastwars and their continuity stories I was thrilled to have read works of such caliber as yours with your latest offerings continuing to deliver where the top contenders have ceased.
    I wish you all the best with your passion and drive to succeed though strongly believe your professionalism and work ethic should be enough to have the big guns take notice, and maybe they have and see you as a threat.
    I am filled with well described imagery when reading your comic scripts and hope they become published with full color art printing so I may own them all.
    You make my hobby everything through your efforts.
    Mate, I'm flattered. Keep reading, there's one big story to go.

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...

I like the idea and think it has merit. I suspect there are a lot of Transformers fans out there who write who can spin a much better story that certain movie directors teams come up with.

I also think it is fine to have fans vet the first round (as long as it isn't a popularity contest) as winning aside it can give IDW an idea of what characters and storylines fans are interested in seeing explored.

Having the top 10 stories read and critiqued by proper writers (be it from IDW or elsewhere) would be quite a reward in itself and if IDW has the ability to use the winning story if they like it (and credit the winning writer in some way) even more of a bonus.

I'm curious - on the other boards, what and why were people so negative? Were they just closed minded? Anti- fan fic or other reasons?
    I don't think there is anything negative about wanting to support and offer a diverse range of interesting and vivid stories to the Transformers universe.

I think with a lot of things on the internet (and in this fandom sadly) people are quick to point out the negatives, rather than offer constructive criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post
    I think with a lot of things on the internet (and in this fandom sadly) people are quick to point out the negatives, rather than offer constructive criticism.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defence of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations. The new needs friends."
    - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)