Thread: Generations books

Default Generations books

Sorry if this has been asked but searching for Generations is kinda hard on a TF forum.

Obviously the Generations Book with pictures of all the G1 toys is worth getting and I'm glad I got the reissue of it. But what's the content of the other Generations books like? Are they worth paying the extra $10 or so to get if your buying the associated toy? Are they even worth getting if you have to goto the secondary market for them?
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

If your not fussed about the newer and ongoing ( at the time of print) series toys out on the market then you definitely skip it.

As with the original Generations book, it's in Japanese, so all it is (if you can't read Jap) is a very nice looking catalogue book. Mostly containing the current toys of the current line during that year.. as well as incoming. they sometimes present the two variations (Hasbro and Taktom), it also contains comics, some have posters ( folded in) as well as those with a toy ( at times). but those tend to be much cheaper without the toy. It also shows G1 toy pics, it depends on what is the featured character/s... Ultra Magnus, Pretenders, Rodimus....

Ill see if I can take a couple snap shots of the ones I have to help you decide if you want or not these books. For now these are old pics from the 2012 Generations book,

This is the fold out poster in that book.

Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

IMO it depends on how much you really want the toy. I personally bought the Generations 2012 book so that I could get United Artfire, because:
    + I got TFC reissue Stepper, but they've never reissued G1 Artfire. And Artfire is the only G1 Targetmaster that I don't have*
    + The cost of the book and United Artfire would most likely be much cheaper than the cost of getting G1 Artfire from the aftermarket (especially one that's MISB).
    I was willing to buy the book to get the toy because it's most likely the closest I'll ever get to owning Artfire.

--------------------------------------------------
    *I technically don't have TM Cyclonus and Scourge either, but I do have Universe/BiS Cyclonus (who are Targetmasters) and Generations Scourge w/ United Fracas. Again, these are probably as close as I'll get to owning them; I'm even less inclined to pay for the G1 toys since they're just redecos of the original 1986 G1 Cyclonus & Scourge toys which I already own.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked but searching for Generations is kinda hard on a TF forum.

Obviously the Generations Book with pictures of all the G1 toys is worth getting and I'm glad I got the reissue of it. But what's the content of the other Generations books like? Are they worth paying the extra $10 or so to get if your buying the associated toy? Are they even worth getting if you have to goto the secondary market for them?
    I think the by-year books are a great resource. They are very comprehensive, with all the Japanese and US releases, including store exclusives and BotCon things. Sure I can't read a word of it, except English names, but if I want to see the movie toys, CHUG, Animated etc they're all here. I like that through these books I am gradually building up with a photo guide to all the Transformers toys. There's just unfortunately still a gap from Beast Wars to Cybertron that I hope will get filled in eventually.

May be a bit pricey to collect them on the secondary market though. The exclusive toys, I've tended not to bother but that's just because I tend to avoid exclusives anyway.