Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obscure Transformers

Default Obscure Transformers

Definition of "Obscure": for the purposes of this discussion I am using the Obscure Transformers Website's definition of "obscure" as in a Transformer that only appears in one medium.
    e.g. only exists as a toy but nothing else, only exists as a comic book character but nothing else etc.

An example of an Obscure Transformer is Spanner, the neutral Cybertronian architect of the Decepticon Spacebridge. This character has only ever existed in the G1 comics and no other media. He never appeared in any cartoon or any other comics (e.g. IDW) and has yet to receive a toy. Because he currently only exists in one medium it makes him Obscure. e-Hobby was one of the first to start making formerly Obscure Transformers not Obscure with toys like Hauler being made! Hauler! Since then we've had an increasing number of Transformers escape obscurity by appearing in new media (e.g. IDW comics) and/or receiving toys.
    e.g. Ironfist, Dazzlestrike etc.

This means that the list of remaining Obscure Transformers continues to dwindle, so... who's left?
    I thought it would be interesting for us to pool our collective knowledge and make a list of remaining Obscure Transformers - those who continue to solely exist in just one medium. I will update this list as more names are contributed in this discussion. But here are some that I can think of:

Cybertronians
    * Aftershock
    * Airburst
    * Aurora
    * Beta - she's mentioned in other media but does not appear in them
    * Buildup
    * Bulletproof
    * Centurion
    * Chameleon
    * Claymore
    * Comeback
    * Corkscrew
    * Corona
    * Covert
    * Decepticon High Council
    * Deflector
    * Discord
    * Failsafe
    * Firefight
    * Flashbang
    * Froid
    * Fulcrum
    * Fullspeed
    * Fusion
    * Geomotus
    * Gristle
    * Hailstorm
    * Hawkeye (Armada)
    * Highgear
    * Highjump (Armada)
    * Horror Show
    * Horsepower
    * Jumpstart
    * Kickback (Armada)
    * Knockdown
    * Lock-On
    * Longarm (Mini-Con)
    * Longview
    * Lookout
    * Man of Iron
    * Munitia
    * Navigator
    * Nullifier
    * Overlord (Marvel)
    * Overwatch
    * Pressurepoint
    * Rangefinder
    * Red Star
    * Rotorbolt (G1)
    * Rubble
    * Sandstorm (G2)
    * Safeguard (Armada)
    * Shepherd
    * Shieldwall
    * Shockpunch
    * Skirmish
    * Sky Creeper
    * Slapshot
    * Slipstream (Armada)
    * Smackdown
    * Spanner
    * Sparkjump
    * Springarm
    * Stronghold
    * Sunder (G1)
    * Telus
    * Trachis (a.k.a. the Student)
    * Tractor
    * Twister
    * Valve
    * Warrior
    * Warmonger
    * Warwolf
    * Watchdog
    * Wheelarch
    * Wheezing Arrow

Non-Cybertronians
    * Alcazar, John (Dr.)
    * Altman (PDP Detective)
    * Barnett, Charlene
    * Barnett, Stephen "Stevie"
    * Becker, Rachel
    * "Berko"
    * B'hgdad
    * Big Top
    * "Bomber Bill"
    * Boyd, Jason
    * Brown, Casanova
    * "Burn-Out"
    * Cahnay, Augustus "Auggie"
    * Carlo, Verity Simone
    * ???, Charlene (associate of Jake Lomax)
    * ???, Charlene (the girl who loved Skids)
    * ???, Clifford
    * Colton, Jacob "Jake"
    * Conroy, Matthew "Matt"
    * Dalrymple, Jacob "Jake"
    * Dialonzo, Hector - Dynamo
    * Dietz, Clifford "Cliff"
    * ???, Dwight
    * "Ed" - worker at Sherman Dam [More Than Meets The Eye, Part 2]
    * "Ed" - worker at solar power station [Transport to Oblivion]
    * "Ed" - archaeology student [Legends anthology; "Paddles"]
    * ???, Evan
    * Fairchild, Edward "Eddie"
    * ???, Felix
    * Greco (PDP Detective)
    * Harding, Morgan (Dr.)
    * Haley, Ken (Dr.)
    * Horton, Randall "Randy", a.k.a. "Roadhog"
    * Jamal (HRH Prince), a.k.a. "Hassan"
    * Lomax, Jacob "Jake"
    * Ludwig, Stephen "Big Steve"
    * Minkler, Martin "Marty"
    * Morris, Edward
    * Nergil (HRH King)
    * "O"
    * Poole, Charlene
    * "Poplock"
    * "Rocksteady"
    * ???, Sierra
    * "Skunge"
    * Teranova, Jonathan "Jack" (Dr.)
    * Welles, Charlene
    * Williams, Jacob "Jake"

Generic Transformers
    The difference between a Generic and Obscure Transformer is that Generics are never named. They're just background filler characters or generic "Gumbies" and at times, cannon fodder (e.g. Sweeps, Junkions etc.) It would probably be easier for us to list which formerly-Generic Transformers now exist in other media. Many of them may be named now but they were never named in their first appearance (they were originally generic). Compare Alpha Trion with Sunstorm - both initially only existed in the G1 cartoon but Sunstorm was never named. He was just a generic orange/yellow background Seeker, whereas Alpha Trion was named and even given a background story. Alpha Trion was Obscure but Sunstorm was Generic (both are now neither). So here are some formerly-Generic Transformers that I can think of...
    * Acid Storm
    * Bitstream
    * Hotlink
    * Sunstorm

Anyway, this is just the tip of the iceberg. I know that I've mostly focused on G1 (and even then I know I haven't covered them all) - and other continuities like Animated, Bayformers, IDW etc. have tonnes more. So let's add to these lists!
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 3rd August 2019 at 11:52 PM.

Thanks but I’ll take the worldwide accepted definition of obscure over that fanfic headcannon you referenced.

Google’s dictionary, which is far more credible, states one of the definitions of obscure as “not important or well known”. And that sums up Greenlight perfectly.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Thanks but I’ll take the worldwide accepted definition of obscure over that fanfic headcannon you referenced.

Google’s dictionary, which is far more credible, states one of the definitions of obscure as “not important or well known”. And that sums up Greenlight perfectly.
    You mean "canon" (since we're quoting dictionaries )

Also, I don't and have never run the Obscure Transformers Website. It was made by two TF fans, our own Jhiaxus and an American bloke known as Monzo. I've got nothing to do with it. Also, I did explicitly disclaim "for the purposes of this thread," not as in saying that it's a new definition of the word "obscure" (from Latin). Note that I've always typed it as Obscure; note the capital "O" instead of a lower case "O." That's not an accident. I'm deliberately using "Obscure" as a proper noun, not a common noun. The definition you've cited is the definition for its common usage, but I have capitalised the "O" in every instance of "Obscure" because I am using it as a proper noun.

It's the same reason why I always capitalise the "T" in "Transformers." Google's definition of "transformer" is:
    1. an apparatus for reducing or increasing the voltage of an alternating current.
    2. a person or thing that transforms something.

But I am not using the word "transformer" to mean either of those things. I am using to explicitly refer to the trademarked Transformers brand and affiliated characters from Hasbro, hence why I always spell "Transformers" with a capital "T", unless I'm using it in its common noun context.
    e.g.
    I purchased a transformer for my Japanese hairdryer.
    I purchased a Transformer from Mandarake.

I am not attempting to redefine the word "obscure" or "transformer" for the English language in general, I am only using these words in a special context as per the parameters of this particular discussion. And it's a definition that I've taken from a website that was established nearly 2 decades ago. FWIW I did question them on this definition of "obscure," but it's what they went with. <shrugs>
    I'd be inclined to agree with the dictionary definition too, but it wasn't my call. And I suppose they made this call because they needed some definitive measure of obscurity, because otherwise what people might consider obscure or not would be incredibly subjective and variable.
    e.g. some people think that any Transformer that doesn't appear in the first 2 seasons of the G1 cartoon are "obscure" (e.g. Hardhead, Horri-Bull etc.)
    We all have different standards and definitions of what is obscure to us depending on our own levels of knowledge (since the literal definition of "obscure" is what is the unknown or uncertain), so I guess that Jhiaxus and Monzo made this call for the purposes of their website, and that's just what I'm running with.

As I said in my opening statement, it's the definition of "Obscure" for the purposes of this discussion. Not for the purposes of the English language in general. If this bothers you then feel free to walk away from this thread. If you feel that I have violated board rules then file a report with administrative staff, otherwise I would kindly ask you not to further derail this discussion. Thank you.

Hhmmm... I was thinking about Signal Lancer, the traffic light Transformer from Transformers Galaxy Force/Cybertron. But tfwiki states that he appeared in Transtech at Axiom Nexus. But the thing is that Axiom Nexus is meant to be an inter-dimensional hub where Transformers from different continuities meet. This means that the Signal Lancer who appeared in TransTech would be the same Signal Lancer as the one who appeared in GF/CYB... so he's appeared in more than one media but still the same character from the same universe. Hhmm... I guess from the pre-determined definition of "Obscure" (proper noun) Signal Lancer wouldn't count.

I looked up characters like Yoketron, Clipper and Deathcobra and all have appeared in multiple media. It's actually getting really hard to find truly Obscure characters because a lot of new media like to include previously Obscure characters as Easter Eggs. While this is really awesome it also means that the list of Obscure characters continues to dwindle.

Let's continue usin' our noggins to see if we can find any more!

Beta - she's mentioned in other media but does not appear in them
    many 'appearances' of otherwise Obscure characters in multiple Media don't really count as anything more than a mention, since they are often just seen in the background to a scene and never performing anything more than the role of an extra. I think you need to quantify this in your definition. otherwise you can't really include Beta.

What about this list of 'Minor' Characters from the IDW comics, I think you'll find a few there who haven't appeared anywhere else.
    Most of the DJD would rate as obscure because they've only appeared in the one media. but most fans, especially those with even a passing interest in comics in the last decade, knows who they are.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    many 'appearances' of otherwise Obscure characters in multiple Media don't really count as anything more than a mention, since they are often just seen in the background to a scene and never performing anything more than the role of an extra. I think you need to quantify this in your definition. otherwise you can't really include Beta.
    Going by Jhiaxus and Monzo's rather strict definition of "Obscure," I think even cameo appearances in other media would rule them out as Obscure. I personally don't count a mention as an appearance, but perhaps others would which is why I put that little footnote next to Beta.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    What about this list of 'Minor' Characters from the IDW comics, I think you'll find a few there who haven't appeared anywhere else.
    Most of the DJD would rate as obscure because they've only appeared in the one media. but most fans, especially those with even a passing interest in comics in the last decade, knows who they are.
    IDW would absolutely have a whole list of Obscure characters which is why I'm going to need help from the community to compile a comprehensive list of Obscure characters (as well as checking to see if I've made any mistakes -- I might need to reconsider my inclusion of Beta )
    Believe it or not, many of those minor characters from IDW have made appearances elsewhere.
    e.g. Tarn also appeared in the Kre-O and TransTech continuities and also has an official toy (licensed third party figure).

Anyone who's seen Season 1 of the G1 cartoon knows who Hauler is, but Hauler appears on the Obscure Transformers Website because he initially only ever appeared in the cartoon and no other media (note: the Obscure TF website was created before eHobby started doing their exclusive G1 characters, so the Hauler toy did not exist when the site was made).

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Which is exactly why they are not obscure (by ordinary definition). That being so, why bother making a list where there is going to be discourse over the word obsecure. I get the defintion you are applying, I personally just don't agree.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    e.g. Tarn also appeared in the Kre-O and TransTech continuities and also has an official toy (licensed third party figure).
    That's why I said Most. I think electric chair guy will stay obscure, as will my chest is a munching machine guy.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post

I think that sums it up perfectly.

Also, the first Transformer that comes to mind for me as obscure is Browning.