Page 42 of 49 FirstFirst ... 22323738394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

It's simple for qld members. All you need do is fill out a B709A with the weapons licensing branch. They will send the approved form back and then you post it to customs. No specific permit to own an imitation / replica is required in qld, but you do need tje B709A to "import" it's simple and it's free.

My B709A for the 6 I'm importing has already been sent.

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Simple, the orange plug inserts WILL NOT stop customs if it comes up flagged, all we got are the laws in each individual state to handle, some of us luckily just need import forms, depending on where you buy him from...others need to jump through all sorts of legal hoops.

For us Victorians its suffering, nothing we can do apart from jump all sorts of legal hoops other states don't need to worry about, I mean what's to stop someone importing say an actual designated imitation firearm into a state that just needs a form, and then physically handing it off to a mate who drives inter-state or something?

Law should be nation wide, make it nearly impossible to import imitation firearms or make it almost free to import, good grief for all the things we have good here we still have differing state laws to drive us mad

Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    Law should be nation wide,
    I agree. IMO state governments are merely a colonial remnant. It's not like say Japan or the United States where their prefectures and states are so densely populated that they require governments. Julia Gillard actually talked about this and got the ball rolling on education with the national Australian curriculum (which is still in process of being phased into various key learning areas).
    e.g. prior to the NAC a kid who moved from QLD to NSW might have to repeat a year simply due to the differences in curriculum between the two states. This is no longer the case as the curriculum content taught across all states follow the same national curriculum and national standards in things like literacy, numeracy etc. (hence why NAPLAN is a nationwide test). She did survive long enough as PM for this idea to take off in more other sectors.

First attempt at a flow chart. Feel free to comment and feedback. This should be read with Griffin's first page of this thread; he has already researched in detail and outlined what is required to possess/store an imitation firearm. I was just trying to show a visual representation of the process.

The biggest unknown is whether MP36 will be classified as a replica/imitation firearm. I would bet good money that he is, as MP05 is classified as such and there is nothing to indicate that MP36 will be any different. Similarly it is very very unlikely there will be inconsistent classification among States. Again Griffin's first post shows all States deem Megatron to be a replica/imitation firearm. So really the "no" answer in the chart was a moot point but thought I'd throw it in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    First attempt at a flow chart. Feel free to comment and feedback. This should be read with Griffin's first page of this thread; he has already researched in detail and outlined what is required to possess/store an imitation firearm. I was just trying to show a visual representation of the process.

The biggest unknown is whether MP36 will be classified as a replica/imitation firearm. I would bet good money that he is, as MP05 is classified as such and there is nothing to indicate that MP36 will be any different. Similarly it is very very unlikely there will be inconsistent classification among States. Again Griffin's first post shows all States deem Megatron to be a replica/imitation firearm. So really the "no" answer in the chart was a moot point but thought I'd throw it in there.

You are a dead set champion for making that mate - well done!

Regarding the B709a form. So Megs has arrived at HLJ. How long will customs hold the toy before they destroy it? Just I haven't started that paperwork yet. Since it's too much hassle for me to have in VIC I'm having mine sent to a mate in QLD as his late 40th present and am about to email him the form

Edit: Received this email from HLJ this morning:

Hello again-

This is ********* at HobbyLink Japan. I wrote earlier today about your order for Takara-Tomy's Transformers Masterpiece MP-36 Megatron.

After receiving information from several Australian hobbyists about import regulations (which, we have learned, do *not* require a blaze-orange plastic plug for toy guns) and their experiences regarding the import of gun-shaped Transformers, we have decided to send our Australian customers the regular unopened, unaltered version of MP-36 Megatron.

As always, **please be aware that your importation and/or ownership of this toy may not be in compliance with your own country's laws. As always, acting in accordance with your country's laws is your own responsibility, and importing any item to your country is at your own risk.**

That said, here is a page with a wealth of information regarding the import of gun-shaped Transformers: http://www.toycollectors.com.au/megatron.html
    We highly recommend it, and thank Griffin for bringing it to our attention.

We apologize for any confusion caused by our previous two e-mails regarding your MP-36 Megatron order. This item has just arrived, and we will start filling orders for it soon! (If you would prefer to cancel your order, though, we ask that you please do so as soon as possible. The My Account system, accessible by clicking "My Account" on the top right of page on http://www.hlj.com, will allow you to cancel if your order has not yet been filled.)

We appreciate your business with us!
    Sadly I have yet to hear back from my friend in the Victorian Police Force
    Last edited by BigTransformerTrev; 31st March 2017 at 07:51 AM.

A REMINDER TO THOSE IMPORTING THIS YOURSELF - get onto your B709A import form now (if you don't have it already), and keep an eye out for your customs notice in the mail. They will hold it for a couple weeks but if you contact them with your notice they will hold it for up to 3-4 months (at their discretion).
    Links to where each state can get the form from is in the first post of this topic, and the webpage - http://www.toycollectors.com.au/megatron.html

Both have been updated this month, but let me know if any links don't work as the Federal section had to be redone after Customs was renamed to Border Force and changed its web domain.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    You are a dead set champion for making that mate - well done
    I agree... it might make it easier for some who don't want to read all that text in the first post.

BigTransformerTrev: the below link is the information pamphlet customs will send you if your parcel is seized:

https://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Docu...ationSheet.pdf

You need to make a claim within 30 days.

Like Griffin said: if you've ordered Megatron overseas, start applying for the b709 form now. My personal experiece with WAPOL was about three working days but that is by no means the benchmark or expectation.

Edit: interesting...it looks like you need to submit a b144 form with the B709 permit: https://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Docu...mForReturn.pdf It's just a bureaucratic form, nothing dramatic so don't panic. It just seems like more bureaucracy. The fact remains that b709 permit is the most important permit to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    Edit: interesting...it looks like you need to submit a b144 form with the B709 permit: https://www.border.gov.au/Forms/Docu...mForReturn.pdf It's just a bureaucratic form, nothing dramatic so don't panic. It just seems like more bureaucracy. The fact remains that b709 permit is the most important permit to get.
    Damn, how'd I miss that. It must be something new.

I'll have to give it a quick read over and update the resource page and first post of this topic.

I notice people are getting their Megatrons now. If willing to put yoirself out there, can you share whether you followed the expected process, or just winged it?

Some very interesting news from PC:

MP-36 - First Batch due mid april - no orange plugs on our stock or tampering due to import permit obtained