Page 113 of 154 FirstFirst ... 93103108109110111112113114115116117118123133 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1535

Thread: Movie Critics Thread

IT is nearly upon us and word is that Stephen King doesn't want Trump to see it.

Atomic Blonde. The sound was so loud I could hear it from the next cinema. Not sure if to compensate but the cinema I was in was extra loud to possibly cover up the intruding sound from next door. The cinema complex itself ruined this film. The film itself is good in terms of action. Nothing fanciful but entertaining.

Id rate it a 3 out of 5. Event Morley sound I would rate 0 out of 5. I'm not a grandpa yet!

Went to see IT. The clown in this one is closer to Heath Ledger's Joker when compared to the mini-series clown which is closer to Jack Nicholson's Joker. Anyway, I can see this being the most successful horror movie in cinema history considering that the trailer has broken the record for most downloads or views.

The past week I've seen The Dark Tower and It.

The Dark Tower although rushed and a mish mash of books and has plot holes, it is saved by the performances of Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey and the boy. Overall found it fun and enjoyable.

It was good. The interaction with The Losers Club was good although I felt like Mike was pushed to the background and a lot of his roles were given to Ben to help build the Bill, Bev and Ben love triangle. Stan also seemed to just be there to tell Richie he wasn't funny. My biggest gripe was with Pennywise. He was good but I expected more. In the book he explains how the fear is like a marinade to make the kids taste better. I thought he would have tormented the children more.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Saw Dunkirk. Brilliant film with a good level of historical accuracy. The inaccuracies in the film are pretty minor and nitpicky (e.g. one officer saluting a higher ranking officer without wearing his beret - actual veterans of Dunkirk noted that this would never have happened as it was a violation of military protocol), which goes to show how well the research and effort was put into making this film accurate. The costumes, sets and vehicles are all really well recreated. The portrayal of British civilian sailors coming to the rescue of the British Army and Navy was fantastic, as was the heroism of the RAF - something that is often overlooked as many people felt that the RAF didn't do enough (and this sentiment is also shown in the film, such as in the trailer where one of the soldiers can be heard saying, "Where's the bloody Air Force?" The reality is that a lot of fighters never made it as far as Dunkirk because they were outnumbered and outclassed by the vastly superior Luftwaffe. But it wasn't from a lack of trying.

I suppose my only criticism is that the film feels too "Anglocentric." There is minimal portrayal of the French rearguard, whereas in reality the French and Belgians were the real heroes of Dunkirk as they were holding the line against the advancing Germans as the British were evacuating their forces. And the film only shows the British being evacuated whereas in real life the British also helped to evacuate their allies, including the French rearguard. Churchill was insistent on not abandoning the French even as the Brits were withdrawing their forces. In reality there were also numerous Allied African and Indian soldiers, yet I only saw one African soldier and didn't notice any Indians.

The movie also ends on Churchill's brilliantly inspiring, "We shall fight them" speech (which itself is clearly the inspiration for Optimus Prime's "Never surrender" speech from the G1 comics ).
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Churchill
    We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender...
    Overall: An excellent film that's definitely worth checking out.

Just watched Bladerunner 2049, really enjoyed it, the visuals, sound effects and score just felt out of this world, a proper sci-fi flick, and a decent sequal to boot
    My wife asked me why I carry a gun?, I said "Decepticons"... She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. It was a good day.

Highly recommend bladerunner for sifi fans

When I heard the news that Blade Runner 2049 flopped in the USA, I wasn't surprised in the least. Most people these days don't have the attention span for a movie that goes for two and a half hours (unless it's an action movie) and I also wouldn't be surprised if many walked in with the preconception that sci-fi has to equal action movie instead of thriller. All up I think it's a great sequel that builds on the '82 original.

Thor: rags. Enjoyable movie. Better than dark world. I would recommend seeing in cinemas.

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    Thor: rags. Enjoyable movie. Better than dark world. I would recommend seeing in cinemas.
    +1

Better than Dark World but not better than first. Stay to end of credits as usual