Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overrated and Underrated Toys

FatalityPitt Guest

Underrated: Spittor. He has a recognizable alt-mode (a semi-realistic frog), has a well-articulated robot mode with ball-joints, and he has a projectile tongue gimmick in frog mode; which can be used in robot mode to simulate him head-butting his victims. Compare this, a basic class toy which is literally 20 years old, to a scout class Cyberverse toy of 2018.

Overrated: Reveal the Shield Perceptor. Robot mode looks good, but the vehicle mode looks rather boring and un-Perceptor-like. It was an over-complicated pain in the arse to transform. Ultimately it was like a shell-former where most of the robot mode body got covered up by panels folded from the legs. What made it complicated was the way everything had to be arranged so that they could all fit within the shell. The toy also didn't come with any weapons, and the yellow light-piping feature got cancelled out because they painted eyes.... Yellow (seriously, who the heck does that )

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Heh - I was going to say the Unicron Trilogy toys were underrated. Yeah there were a few unimpressive ones in each line - Smokescreen, Sideswipe and Scavenger from Armada for example, but on the whole I found all 3 lines pretty fun and at least they weren’t the teeny toys you get today. Plus I reckon Mini-Cons and Cyber Keys were better gimmicks than the Prime Masters that turn into cubes we are currently getting
    Note that I specifically said Armada bulks. I like the Minicons, overall. I gave away most of my Armada toys, but kept the vast majority of the Minicons!

I didn't care for Cyber Keys... but then I don't care for gimmicks that force a block of "thing" into the Transformer. I'm not a fan of Prime Masters... to the point that I have ignored the add on ones. My Repugnus, Punch etc, the Prime Masters just stayed in the box!

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Having such a small collection this is tough for me but I'll try my best.

Underrated: Generations Voyager Brainstorm. I just felt that as soon as TR Brainstorm came along, everyone forgot about this guy. I know he's not a great scale, but for me he is a really faithful IDW representation, and he helped 'feel out' the return of Headmasters for the TR line. Plus he is simple to transform, and has working Tech Specs (which the later TR's lack).

Bonus points for Springer too. I've already touted my love for this guy.

Overrated: Duocons Battleslash/Roadtrap. The idea was a great one; have a Duocon which can actually have individual robot modes. But my GOD the transformations are fiddly. Definitely one of the biggest let-downs in my collection apart from his combined mode, which is how he'll stay.

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Underrated: G1 Overdrive. Such a great toy, easy to transform, not bad articulation for the time AND had a fun battle mode, being his flying car... of which the front guns doubled as hidden chest guns. Pew, pew.

Overrated: Leader size figures. It's just a terrible scale and more often than not results in terrible toys.

Quote Originally Posted by KELPIE View Post
    Underrated: G1 Overdrive. Such a great toy, easy to transform, not bad articulation for the time AND had a fun battle mode, being his flying car... of which the front guns doubled as hidden chest guns. Pew, pew.
    Agreed! He's my favourite Omnibot and my favourite BT toy!
    Overrated: Leader size figures. It's just a terrible scale and more often than not results in terrible toys.[/QUOTE]
    Eh, I find most bad Leaders are due to the interfering sound gimmick. Those without sound gimmicks tend to be better (e.g. CW Megatron).

KELPIE is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Eh, I find most bad Leaders are due to the interfering sound gimmick. Those without sound gimmicks tend to be better (e.g. CW Megatron).
    While that may be, I feel that if the exact same figure was downsized, they would be far superior.

While that may be, I feel that if the exact same figure was downsized, they would be far superior.
    I don't think a downsized CW Megatron would be better, and people would whinge that it's not big enough (e.g. Universe Galvatron).

In many cases I find that the Voyager vs non-sound gimmicked Leader versions of toys aren't much better or worse than the other.
    e.g. TLK Optimus Prime & Megatron; I find both VOYs and LDRs to be just as good as each other. Although I bought the Voyagers cos cheaper and more space-saving. But I don't think that the Leaders are any worse for being larger. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    Underrated: G1 Seekers. Yes. That's right.
    Amen! any other opinion is just sacrilege!!!

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Oh. You mean the new Voyager WFC:Siege Megatron. He looks like he has the same engineering except ending up as a H Tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    He looks like he has the same engineering except ending up as a H Tank.
    I haven't really had a close look at Siege Megatron, but bear in mind that CW Megatron offers:
    * A realistic looking tank mode (of fictitious make/model)
    * Working treads
    * Rotatable turret
    * Retractable barrel
    * Missile launcher
    * Guns that can separate into 2 or combine into a single rifle
    * Cannon can swivel in robot mode to allow for either missile firing gimmick or more G1-esque broad barrelled look
    * G1 style robot mode with Spark chamber inside chest (as seen in the episode "Master Blaster")

Now of course, Leaders are twice the price of Voyagers so I wouldn't expect a Voyager to have all of these features or achieve this level of engineering. But as I said before, I find both Voyagers and Leaders to be both pretty good for their respective size and price points.